Everyone Says I Love You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Everyone Says I Love You Reviews

cosmo313
January 2, 2008
In 1996, Woody Allen decided to write and direct his first musical comedy, which happens to be this overwhelmingly charming piece of work.

Set across New York, Paris, and Venice, this is a look at a large group of comfortably well off people and their various romantic endeavors, both successful and otherwise. Taking a different approach compared to a lot of musicals, Allen decided to take the approach of common people just randomly breaking into song and (sometimes) dance numbers. As a result, most of the cast do their own singing, with the exception being Drew Barrymore who convinced Allen she had no musical ability whatsoever. Apparently Goldie Hawn may have been dubbed as well, supposedly because Allen told her that her singing was too good, and she should sing worse, as she sounded too good to seem like like a regular person breaking into song.

Having some musical training myself, I must say, the cast do a good job. Alan Alda and Edward Norton are pretty terrific, Tim Roth is surprisingly decent, and everyone else proves moderately passable at the very least.

And there is a star studded cast here. Aisde from who I've already mentioned, there's also Woody himself, Natasha Lyonne, Julia Roberts, Gaby Hoffmann, Natalie Portman, lukas Haas, and, very briefly, Liv Tyler and Billy Crudup. If there's anyone I missed, I'm sorry.

The performances in general are fine, pretty much what you'd expect from this kind of thing. The story and style are typical of Woody, but, having it be a musical elevates the proceedings.

The song and dance numbers are well staged and executed, especially the final dance, and, in general, this is a very funny, fun, and charming film that is really kinda hard to dislike. In the grand scheme of things, this isn't, by and large, a standout entry of Woody's filmography, but there's just something about it that I found to be really irresistible, so yeah, give it a watch.
½ January 12, 2008
Liked it more than I expected to. For a Woody Allen movie, this was pretty good. A lot of stars in it who were up and coming at the time like a young Natalie Portman and Natasha Lyonne (actually reminded me what a good actress she actually is). Drew Barrymore also stars, though it's not a huge role, same with Julia Roberts.
I didn't even mind the singing too much, though most of it is pretty bad in all honesty.
A few laughs and nice scenery. Couldn't really have asked for more here!
½ September 6, 2010
A bunch of actors you never thought you'd hear sing, get together to do a Woody Allen musical? That just sounds horrible, but I wanted to see Barrymore anyway, so I watched this movie. I don't know why, but I hate Allen's movies, they're not funny, and this is no exception. It was plain torture to watch.
June 10, 2011
Everyone Says I Love You is one of those movies you can't help but fall in love with. This slightly farcical throwback to the old time musicals is impossibly charming. Everyone...is my favorite type of Allen movie: light, funny and warm. The Woody Allen we know and love plays the Woody Allen we know and love. Other standouts are the devilish Tim Roth, the sultry Drew Barrymore and the elegant Goldie Hawn. This film is the very definition of star-studded (the cast also features Natalie Portman, Edward Norton and Julia Roberts) and features some impressive cinematography, particularly in the breathtaking Parisian sequences. Everyone Says I Love You's main selling point are musical numbers by non-singing actors, which give the proceedings more of a down-to-earth feel.
½ October 17, 2006
Natasha is the winner in this show. It was an alright movie. I'm not a fan of Allen but this one I could kind of wrap myself into.
movieguru12
December 26, 2009
An intriging musical set in all different kinds of settings. It was really good! :)
June 9, 2007
Woody Allen meets High School Musical. It's like he got all the worst singers in Hollywood together and forced them to make a musical. It's still distinctly Woody Allen, and the screenwriting is still all right and everything, but I just couldn't STAND the singing!
April 12, 2007
I'm not a fan of musicals for the most part, so this definitely isn't my favorite Allen film. It has its moments but it's nothing to flip out over.
February 6, 2008
I smiled through this whole movie, it's just adorable. I love all the little musical numbers through this whole film. All the actors are having a wonderful time and so are we. Their voices may not be grand broadway ones, but they all sing from the heart and make this just a wonderful feel good movie.
May 15, 2007
Ok - can I please just get something out of the way first: when the synopsis of the film *and* the DVD jacket both describe the film as a romantic musical, why do people give reviews that typically state, "they just burst out into song, it was really random", or, "this would never happen in real life"? Grrr. Mini-rant over. Everyone Says I Love You is a charming, old-fashioned feeling film, beautifully photographed in New York, Paris and Venice, and using camera techniques familiar from old MGM musicals. The film revolves around an extended family and their various romances as they fall in and out of love. Along the way they periodically sing songs from the 30's and 40's that tie into their mood. All of the main cast, except for spoilsport Drew Barrymore, sing their own songs. Most of them can't sing (if not in tune, then not very well), but this is all part of the films appeal. Speaking of the cast, Woody Allen has assembled one of his best for this, his 26th film: Julia Roberts, Alan Alda, Tim Roth, Edward Norton, Natalie Portman, Goldie Hawn and Natasha Lyonne (who provides the very funny narration). The film is definitely more musical-comedy than musical-drama; underneath the gloss the story itself is rather shallow, but delightfully so, with the best number coming at the end with Goldie Hawn, who is easily the strongest vocalist.
August 24, 2009
I wanted to see this because I love Julia Roberts, but even she couldn't save this movie. There are so many great actors in this one but it was just terrible.
September 4, 2007
It's not a good movie, but the dance finale with Goldie Hawn is that mix of beauty and goofiness that typifies Woody Allen.
June 7, 2008
Any film that starts with Edward Norton singing gets my interest. It then goes on to be a typical Woody Allen film: people falling in and out of love while Allen does his neurotic spiel, not to mention Allen yet again making his love for the city of New York evident. However, it's the wonderful musical numbers that boost it. Tim Roth (playing a sociopath) serenades Drew Barrymore, a man escapes from a straight-jacket during one number and then starts doing ballet, and there's also a terrific piece that could be straight out of Beetlejuice. Plus, everybody in Hollywood is in this (mostly). It culminates with an amazing dance between Goldie Hawn and Woody Allen and then as the credits came up I just wanted to applaud.
April 25, 2008
A very different Woody Allen movie.
mingsysar
½ August 23, 2006
Forget that it's Woody Allen for a moment. A musical starring Goldie Hawn, Edward Norton, Drew Barrymore, Alan Alda and Natalie Portman. It's bizarre already, but with Woody Allen on board it works. The storyline with Barrymore and Norton is the only failure, despite their best efforts. A must see, unless you don't like musicals of course, and anyone who has a heart likes musicals. Particularly when they're this good.
½ June 5, 2015
A fun, witty, and toe tapping Woody Allen ensemble piece that ranks in his more enjoyable works. Strong performances from Alan Alda, Goldie Hawn, Edward Norton, Drew Barrymore, Natasha Lyonne, Julia Roberts, and the man himself Woody Allen. Allen directs wonderful musical numbers and I would love to see him adapt this for the stage
½ March 13, 2014
Woody Allen makes a musical! And it is a standard effort with songs. The plot is pretty much like most Allen films, and the songs are sung in the actor's real voices to make it sound less glossy and more real...which would seem neat and original had "Popeye" not already done it. Only Barrymore was so bad she had to be dubbed...and that is with Goldie Hawn being told to sing worse because she sounded to good. It is decent, I enjoyed this enough, it at least had the musical aspect to set it apart from other Allen films, but it's plot is well-worn territory for the Writer-Director.
December 27, 2012
For a musical comedy, it isn't as good as A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum, but it is up there.
March 20, 2009
Even though a musical may not have been the best choice, and Drew Barrymore and Ed Norton miscast, it's official...I must have been on something not to have liked two Woody Allen movies. (I believe this is the only Woody Allen movie I've seen that I thought was subpar.)