Evil Under the Sun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Evil Under the Sun Reviews

thmtsang
½ August 20, 2011
A star is murdered on an island resort. Poirot is called to investigate the many suspects. Good plot. Great cast.
jjnxn
April 4, 2007
Fun Christie, great cast, beautiful location.Diana Rigg and Maggie Smith make great sparring partners.
garyX
March 31, 2007
Peter Ustinov is as affable as always, but Agatha Christie's dreary formula just looks silly in this day and age.
March 2, 2007
One of my fave Agatha Christie films, all star cast with twists and turns all the way.
½ April 14, 2008
I love Maggie Smith trying to solve this along with Poirot's nose, Diana Rigg is a pretty glorious victim.
October 13, 2010
Let's face it 'Evil Under The Sun' isn't easy to adapt without loosing at least 50% of the story but this adaptation does it best. It looses the right 50% to leave the film entertaining , suspenseful , dramatic , funny and leave room for great script , acting , sets and scenes on the beautiful island. Plus no mortal or immortal can beat Ustinov's performance as Hercule Poirot (thou Suchet came close enough).
October 18, 2010
Evil Under The Sun is a very suspenceful motion picture. This film has numerous captivating characters and a plot riddled with edge of your seat twists and turns. If you are look for a great murder mystery film than you should seriously consider watching Evil Under The Sun.
December 17, 2009
I love Maggie Smith and Diana Rigg. And the location is excellent for this Hercule Poirot mystery..one of my favorites in the story line.
½ September 13, 2009
**1/2 (out of four)

Entertaining, but just passable Agatha Christie mystery with Peter Ustinov reprising his role as the Belgium sleuth Hercule Poirot.

Everyone is a suspect at the beach front resort when a stage star is strangled. Not bad, but a definite comedown from both "Murder on the Orient Express" and "Death on the Nile."
March 23, 2008
I loved this movie. I hadn't red the book but I had played the computer game and saw the movie afterwards and I just loved it. Peter Ustinov is Poirot to a tee.
April 10, 2007
She could always throw her legs up higher than anyone. And wider!

What time is it, Linda?
Five to Twelve.
November 29, 2006
Very good murder mystery! Great cast. Peter Ustinov is a fabulous Poirot and Maggie Smith and James Mason were great like always. Guy Hamilton is a fabulous director for his genres. I loved it!
April 16, 2006
Evil Under the Sun
Starring: Peter Ustinov, Diana Rigg, Jane Birkin, Maggie Smith, Roddy McDowall, and James Mason
Director: Guy Hamilton

When master detective Hercule Poirot (Ustinov) is hired by an insurance company to trace the path of a phony diamond, the assignment comes with an all-expense-paid trip to an exclusive resort island--just one of those hardships a detective must endure! Soon, however, Proirot finds himself in the midst of a murder myster that he must solve if he is protect his reputation: Famed actress Arlena Marshall (Rigg) is murdered right under his nose, and, while just about everyone on the island had a motive to kill her, everyone also has water-tight alibis.

"Evil Under the Sun" is another one of those great, all-star Agatha Christie mysteries from the 70s and 80s. I understand from a friend who's read the original book that this is a pretty loose adaptation, but she said that she felt the movie is actually superior to the book.

From Ustinov as Poirot, through McDowall as a effeminate theater critic, the cast gives excellent performances and everyone lives up to their star status, even those in fairly small parts, like James Mason. Diana Rigg and Maggie Smith were particuarly fun to watch, as they go through catty routines with one another. The film also takes full advantage of the gorgeous Mediterranean setting, offering some particularly beautiful shots as the characters move about the island. Another strong point is that the filmmakers actually paid attention to the time period in which the film is set; no 1970s-style hairdos and other silly slip-ups that were common in movies of this type.

One thing that is both a plus and a minus in "Evil Under the Sun" is the soundtrack music. It's all Cole Porter music that's been orchestrated for the film, and sometimes it works--the "Anything Goes" cue for when the hotel guests are frolicking, for example--but other times the orchestration is just too bombastic and intrusive to serve the film properly. At too many times--with a scene where James Mason's character is lurking in some bushes--the music calls attention to itself instead of supporting and enhancing what's unfolding in the film.

"Evil in the Sun" is a fine mystery movie--a great entry in the "cozy" genre--and it's made even better by the fact it plays fair with the audience. (I identified the killer even before all the evidence was presented, based on a scene the character shared with Proirot... and, to me, that makes for the best kind of mystery. I love being able to play along!)
½ September 18, 2004
Whodunits are usually fun to watch at least once, and Evil Under the Sun is a good Agatha Christie. Peter Ustinov revisits the Hercule Poirot character as he would do several more times, and he is who I picture the borderline preposterous Poirot to be; a normally persnickity, slightly goofy continental with a steel trap for a brain. Very little escapes his observations once murder is committed and he's put on the case.

In this case the setting is a small Mediterranean island which would be a spectacular backdrop except the film is kind of washed out, so it is merely nice-looking. Per the usual Christie buildup a group of mostly snobbish upper class types are brought together with interlocking motives, and all have sufficient motive to do the deed. In the meantime a bit of character development takes place and the plot moves on. Once the deed is done Hercule is commissioned to unravel the mystery, going about acquiring this factoid or that tidbit. In the end all are gathered to listen to his narrative on exactly how and whodunit.

It works that way exactly here except I could tell whodunit without Hercule pointing it out. I don't know if that's a screenwriter or Christie mistake, but it was there if you pay attention to who's preparing an alibi. Nonetheless I wasn't 100% sure and it remained fun to watch the brain of Hercule apply itself to the task.

This was good but another Christie book-into-movie, Death on the Nile, remains my favorite whodunit. It doesn't seem to matter that these are not exactly new releases since they're set in the 30's anyway.

The RT info for this flick comes up with other whodunits, including Who Framed Roger Rabbit?! Come to think of it, I never really categorized ...Roger Rabbit as a whodunit but it is!

There's a grainy trailer and making of on the DVD as well as a film bio for most of the actors. The film itself is nonamorphic and less grainy, still looking every bit its 20+ years. The DVD is about a 7.2/10 only because it did have a reasonably good making of for an older movie.
May 23, 2015
It becomes very well developed, but overall, it's kind of a boring mystery and drama.
½ March 18, 2015
Como siempre, Monsieur Poirot, todo un placer.
½ July 21, 2014
Not overly well thought of when it was first released the film has the best of the Hollywood Poirots in Peter Ustinov, a clever script, a first rate cast, beautiful locations and the music of Cole Porter. First rate.
January 22, 2014
"MURDER IN PARADISE"

- 'Evil Under the Sun' is a 1982 murder mystery based on the famous novel by Agatha Christie. After the big success of 'Death on the Nile', Peter Ustinov makes his second appearance as Hercule Poirot, the Belgian detective, and we get to see reappearing cast members Jane Birkin (wife of French singer Serge Gainsbourg) and Maggie Smith (Harry Potter saga). Another brilliant, but nowadays very old fashion 'Whodunit' with an ingenious plot set at a marvelous island and a unexpected revelation in the end. Can you solve this case?

Trying to find how millionaire Horace Blatt ended up with a fake diamond, the famous Hercule Poirot (Ustinov) goes on investigation to an exclusive island resort. He is welcomed by Daphne Castle (Smith) who owns the hotel and gets introduced to the wealthy guests: glamorous and recently wed Hollywood actress Arlena Stuart Mashall along with her husband Kenneth and stepdaughter Linda, the quirky writer Rex Brewster and New York producers Odell and Myra Gardener. Seemly slight out of place are the handsome young Patrick Redfern and his mousy wife Christine (Birkin).

When Arlena is found dead on the beach, Poirot examines her body and concludes that she has been strangled by one of the people on the Island. While everyone had a good motive to get rid of the awful woman, nobody seems to have had the occasion to do it...
½ June 7, 2013
Director Guy Hamilton admits to hating Agatha Christie's writing style. He finds it overcrowded with characters and passe in general. Apart from cutting down the number of characters, Hamilton and scripter Anthony Shaffer have also had the audacity to switch things around in the inevitable denouement scene. Poirot points right away at the guilty party, while the true suspense is put into the how's and why's that follow. The delicious moments in an Agatha Christie film are supposed to come at the end, when the detective (in this case, the redoubtable Hercule Poirot) gathers everyone in the sitting room and toys with their guilt complexes before finally fingering the murderer. Next to Ustinov, Maggie Smith shines as the hotel proprietress in love with the murdered woman's husband, played with quiet gusto by Denis Quilley. Diana Rigg as the stage star makes it believable in one short song-and-dance scene that she really is such a star. Evil Under the Sun is a nifty screen adaptation of a 1940 Agatha Christie novel.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
½ March 4, 2013
Eu gostei... misterio bom, bons cenarios, fotografia e trilha das antigas, mesmo o filme sendo da dec 80.