93% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

The Ewok Adventure (Caravan of Courage) Reviews

Phil H

December 30, 2012
So back in 84 if you had seen Lucas and some Ewoks running around the redwood forests in California you could of been mistaken for thinking another Star Wars epic was on the way. No matter how badly we 80's kids prayed that was unfortunately not true, but we did get a semi decent Star Wars based adventure.

Set in between 'Empire' and 'Jedi' this film gives us a little more insight into the forest moon of the gas giant Endor. We see more native creatures, more of the moon and of course more Ewok culture. Now back in the day this film was actually regarded pretty highly, mainly because we had NOTHING else film wise based around Star Wars.

Upon a re watch the film still does hold its own very well. Lucas was in charge for both of these Ewok films and to be honest he did a fair job. The film is completely for kids obviously utilizing little human kids and good old 'Wicket' so you can't moan at the utter campy naffness there is. Acting is dubious and dialog is very basic, but you gotta give credit to Lucas for making a lot of the film in native Ewok tongue and having a narrator tell us the audience what the the hell going on. Almost like 'Dances with Wolves' for Star Wars hehe...I said almost.

So the rather annoying surly 'Mace' and his totally babyish blonde barbie doll little sister head off to rescue their parents from the 'Gorax'. A creature I have found out has been worked into the official Star Wars universe and is cannon, kinda cool. Along the way the team of kiddies and Ewoks run into other species that are of course nasty and generally have to work together to succeed. There are some nice creatures here, basic puppets, animation or stop motion, but its fine, kinda charming much like the old Harryhausen flicks and other old barbarian fantasy films. The film has that warm 80's 'Willow' type atmosphere, a sense of wonder and imagination that is absolutely great for young kids.

The main bad guy in the film is the 'Gorax' which is a man in a suit get up. The makeup is pretty good on this character and his whole look does fit with the 'wookie' species approach for the Endor moon. In general effects aren't overly great these days (of course), the giant spider in the 'Gorax' lair is brilliantly bad and the final fatal moment for the 'Gorax' also looks really hokey, but hey this ain't no mega budget film. Some nice good old fashioned matte painting work evident too.

Yes its childish and corny, yes some locations on Endor's moon looks suspiciously like California, yes the two main human kid characters are completely generic looking with 'Mace' obviously looking like a young 'Luke', but its still fun. Lucas did a good job here in my opinion, the film is perfect for its target audience and fun for everyone else too...if you like Star Wars. Supposedly cannon within the Star Wars universe also which is interesting.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 11, 2009
Sweet Fairy Tale.
Conner R

November 19, 2009
I thought it was fun and fairly well done for a t.v. movie. Sure, it's nowhere near the magic that makes Star Wars, but for the purpose it serves it's decent. I actually enjoyed the Ewoks in this and they gave them some actual personality, as opposed to being crazy teddy bears in ROTJ.
Jason S

December 5, 2007
This is one from the childhood. I was always a big fan of the Ewoks and I enjoyed both of the movies that were made for tv back in the day. This was the one I liked the most as it was fun and it was even a little scary near the end.
I never really saw it as a Star Wars movie so there was never a comparison in my mind. It's a fun adventure and thats all it was meant to be.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

December 4, 2007
an attempt to keep the magic of star wars going, this is a decent watch for kids but it certainly isnt a great movie.
Lafe F

July 14, 2007
There was no Star Wars magic here. Even seeing Wicket didn't thrill me. This felt more like a prototype for Willow. Aubree Miller was cute, but typical Hollywood bred brat like Jake Lloyd; I hope she's happier these days. I liked the second movie with Wilford Brimley more.
deano
deano

December 12, 2006
Great adventure of Ewoks since Return of the Jedi, who assist with two children to rescue their missing parents at Ewoks' home planet.
Dann M

May 4, 2014
The adventure and excitement of Star Wars continues in Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure. When a star cruiser crashes on the moon of Endor two children are separated from their parents, and seek the help of the Ewoks to find them. The child actors are terrible, but the Ewoks prove to be quite interesting. The costume designs give each Ewok a distinctive look, and the voice work adds a lot of personality to the characters. And while the plot is fairly simple and formulaic, there are some rather entertaining action sequences. Though it has problems, Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure is a bit of fun and expands and enriched the Star Wars universe.
Shawn M

May 31, 2013
Loved this movie as a kid, re-watching it was just as incredible and magical as I remember it.
Sunil J

February 18, 2009
Those little guys scared me when I saw this as a kid. Like demon looking Care Bears.
kenscheck
December 20, 2011
One of those weird, often forgotten, spin-offs of Star Wars. I think this movie might've sucked more if I hadn't gone in expecting it to suck so much. I built up its suckiness. The movie is a harmless addition to the Star Wars franchise, it certainly didn't do the kind of damage the Prequels had done later on, purely for it just being some silly TV special. Ewoks do still rule, but not like the do in Jedi (fuck all who oppose that viewpoint). You get the feeling that the Narrator was only added when someone watched a rough cut and couldn't make heads or tails as to what the shit was going on, but having Burl Ives voice makes you think only of Rudolph. The two child actors are some of the worst child actors I've ever seen. They deliver every line like they're reading it for the first time. I won't recommend this, unless you are a diehard Star Wars fan, or like odd pop culture artifacts.
firstamb
July 25, 2008
This Star Wars special was set just after Return of the Jedi, or in some other universe, or soemthing. On Endor, a crashed family is separated and the little girl, Cindel, and her bratty older brother, Mace, brefiend the Ewokz and tryo to rescue their parents. The flick is cute for a TV movie, but Mace is actually really, really annoying. He must have been in inspiration for making Anakin a whiney teenager.
ryanbahl
July 24, 2008
i liked this movie and its sequel. i didnt think i would like them but it turned out i did. i liked how they kept most of the same star wars ideals and scenes such as the costumes, backgrounds locations, etc. the ewoks were my favorite part of return of the jedi and for them to be in their own mini series was very cool. the little girl was perfect and her acting ability was very very good. warwick davis plays wicket the ewok most know him from his role in willow or as the leprechaun in the horror films, he is a very under appreciated actor and is one of the best. the only thing i wish they would have told a time in which these movies took place compared to the original star wars movies. i think they should have made more star wars side series movies like this one, they always turn out good.
kms5079
March 14, 2008
I barely remember watching this as a kid but it was awesome.... at least it was about 13 years ago.
MarilynsDisciple
October 7, 2007
This is the first in the Ewok movies(I think there were only two).
In this one Sindal and her brother, Mace, and their family have crashed on 'the moon of Endor'. Sindal and her brother get lost and are found by the Ewoks, and they have an interesting adventure.
rosythecat
August 6, 2007
Used to watch this on Disney Chanel and rent from Video Olympics before Blockbuster crushed all competition...
rebekahraffield
June 18, 2007
I love Ewoks. Terribly cheesy movie & awful affects, but that's what makes it great! I call it 'more real', even if it does kind of stink. (:
jamesdhanlon
March 21, 2007
This is an embarrasment to the name of Star Wars! although you die hard fans might want to check it out
greywind86
February 19, 2007
I remember this movie from long ago and it's never really left my mind. The special effects are kind of funny. But the Ewoks are cute.
May 19, 2014
Really... really not good. Even way back when I was a kid and a crazed star wars fan... this was really... really not good.