Exit Humanity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Exit Humanity Reviews

July 16, 2012
Not as good as Rammbock, but still a pretty good zombie flick!
Francisco G.
½ December 11, 2012
A sumptuous period piece zombie drama, superbly shot and with good production values that ultimately faceplants itself on corny drama, cheesy acting, horrid soundtrack and not much novelty to be had. What it does, it does so well, from the animations to the cinematography to the way some scenes unfold but it's all too messy and most of these elements just don't fit together at all in the end.

Worth a shot for fans of the genre but even so, there's not enough here to elevate itself above the mediocre or even hope to achieve the classics it so desperately tries to.

And crap, is the lead still screaming? Oh... yes... yes he is... *sigh*
½ July 1, 2013
I heard good things about this movie so I was maybe expecting too much for a Zombie B movie, but it really disappointed. The concept of it was good, Civil War era overran with the walking dead, but it failed in almost every category. The only good thing about it was the zombies looked half way decent as far as the makeup and movements, but they were the best actors in the film in my opinion. The terrible excuse for an antagonist was also one of the many weak points of the film, as well as the main characters. If you really enjoy B zombie movies you might get some enjoyment out the film, but I doubt it.
March 29, 2013
A stylish and serious zombie film, Exit Humanity is a respectable endeavor, but it drags after the first thirty minutes. A superb cast and stylized vision make Exit Humanity a sad, intelligent take on the zombie genre. Set right after the civil war, Exist Humanity traces the spread of the disease, the struggle to find someone who is immune, and the darkness that dwells inside humankind. As is so often the case with zombie films, the humans actually become the sources of true evil, and the film becomes a reflection on how war turns humans into creatures that crave death and flesh. Still, despite its serious approach to the genre, it should have been about 30 minutes shorter because it plods at various points in the film.
½ February 2, 2013
one of the best zombie films I've seen the story was deep and enthralling the drama was better than some drama movies and the animation cut scenes were just spectacular
January 25, 2013
A rare situation where a small studio film had good production quality and a sub par story. It is usually the opposite. I loved the little production efforts in this film. The animation used to illustrate narrations from the journal were engaging and clever.
The story itself was dialouge heavy and vignettes/montages where stretched like some french film. A lot of time is spent dealing with the protagonists loss of his family. The family was never developed to any degree (Not even sure if there names were revealed) So, instead of empathizing with the hero, he just looked like a cry baby. It got so bad at one point that I fell asleep for 10 minutes and didn't miss anything.
So, it's worth a watch for cool production aspects, decent acting, and if you can survive the self pity crap, there is a decent story.
January 7, 2013
This was decent. An alternative title could be: Vengeance of the Bearded Civil War Hipster+Zombies.
December 1, 2012
An extremely well directed film with a lot of soul. Exit Humanity promises a timeless zombie epic that you won't forget.
½ October 11, 2012
One of the best zombie movies I've seen in years! A great original setting for a zombie film as this story takes place following the end of the civil war. For a low-budget film, I was really in awe watching this movie.
September 27, 2012
Finally a post-apocolyptic/zombie movie that hits the dramatic notes just right. There are some really great zombie movies out there, but it has been a good while since there has been one this serious and well done. I am also a huge fan of The Road, and yes that movie/book did not involve zombies, I still got the feeling there was some inspiration taken from it. Really enjoyed the animated sequences and the zombies themselves were spectacular. I could tell so much time was spent and emphasis was placed on bringing them to life (or to dead). The acting was also spot on, and while some have said this movie was too long or dragged on I have to fully disagree. It takes time for a dramatic movie to develop. I could only complain about a few things, one being both the general and his story. I didn't feel like he was built up to be a strong enough threat nor did the actor portray him well. Also, I could have done completely without the narrative (except for maybe during the animation). I understood exactly what the underlying message was without needing to be told. Could have at least had Sam Elliot do it. All in all, high praise goes to this movie especially keeping in mind how crazy low the budget was.
½ September 16, 2012
I really liked this. I've always to see a zombie flick that takes place in the time this did. Great acting as well.
½ September 11, 2012
An interesting idea poorly executed. High production value, great scenery, sets, costume, design and effects highlight this film but slow moving, overbaring dialog and cliched plot points drag it down to what it really is. A boring movie that could have been great.
Ani
August 9, 2012
This movie takes a somber serious look at the zombie infestation in a time period where communication, weaponry and medicine was not up to date. I empathized with the main character and his ability to seek hope through this bleak environment.
July 14, 2012
It was OK. To slow for me and I didn't really like the sketched cut scenes. I have a feeling if the budget was bigger this could have been great.
June 15, 2012
I really didn't need the voice over telling me everything from the very start of the movie. A good film shows you everything you need to know, naturally. And this movie had that potential, but somewhere along the line I suspect a low opinion of the audience diluted it. This is what separates Night of the Living Dead from the teeming masses of chaff, for instance. Similar mistake was made in theatrical release of Dark City or Blade Runner, which the Director's Cut rightly removed.

The animated sequences are jarring and stand out. The "journal" vehicle is also pretty tired and obnoxious. The music is fine and so is the cinematography for the most part, although it does push the shaky cam thing about as far as I can stand. It's never too dark which is something that seems to happen a lot in recent movies.

just wasn't holding my attention. Stopped watching about thirteen minutes into the movie. jumped around and it didn't seem like anything all that compelling was waiting so I quit it. Probably won't finish watching this movie.

Decent effort, some good concepts, but hire new writers and someone to veto the bad ideas. Try again.
May 30, 2012
If you're a real fan of zombie films, can get past the low budget zombie effects, and you don't have ADHD then you will probably enjoy Exit Humanity. Much like the TV series (and graphic novel) The Walking Dead this film focuses less upon zombie gore and more on the people who are trying to exist among the undead. For such a low budget film I feel they did an excellent job. They take their time focusing on the scenery, they let the score pull you along, and it is a slow ride that I was personally quite happy to be on. I was in no rush for the tale of post civil war hell to finish.
½ April 20, 2016
Okay zombie apocalyptic drama about a man who loses his wife and son and is hell bent on revenge for their lives taken from him
June 13, 2015
For being crazy low budget im half impressed by what they put out.
May 4, 2015
One of the more memorable, sweeping zombie films seen in years..
January 3, 2015
Wow. Excellent high concept zombie movie. Sure there's no shortage of that these days, but this one shines through the heap. Creative, clever and compelling.