97% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Exit Through The Gift Shop Reviews

July 22, 2014
Quite an exquisit documentary, somehow reminiscent of the Grizzly Man in that it doesn't paint a particularly positive image of the central character, yet manages to maintain an aire of positivity. Also an informative look into the world of street art - you will be looking at graffitis quite differently after watching this.
July 21, 2014
haha! Today's version of Emperor's New Clothes!
November 26, 2013
documentary defo. worth seeing.
aboccamazzo
July 21, 2014
8,5/10
genius documentary
July 24, 2011
Starting out as a conventional biography, the film follows Thierry Guetta, an amateur documentarian that becomes obsessed by the world of street art.. He's an oddball, travelling the globe to endlessly film footage without ever constructing a final product. When he teams up with one of Britain's most elusive talents (Banksy), the two become virtually inseparable. Banksy eventually steps into the spotlight with an upscale show in Los Angeles, asks what's going on with the documentary, and is perplexed by the hastily assembled disaster that Guetta finally presents. Banksy: "Uhmmm... You know... it was at that point that I realised that maybe Thierry wasn't actually a film maker, and he was maybe just someone with mental problems who happened to have a camera." This is where the film gets interesting. After watching Banksy throw his huge and profitable opening in Los Angeles, Thierry takes Banksy's offhand comment about creativity to mean that Banksy is approving of Thierry's work and should become the next big name in the artist community. Before you know it,' Thierry is overhauling an old network studio and planning his own, major exhibit. Hence begins examination of what constitutes art in the modern era. It is hard to tell if this is actually a documentary or a new kind, aptly named by some as prankumentary, as hinted at by the name, "Exit through the Gift Shop". Either way the film is very interesting and entertaining.
April 12, 2014
A very comical and diverse look at street art as it advances and eventually takes its toll on the life of Thierry Guetta as he follows some of the most popular street artist he encounters and is eventually wengulfed by the sensation. All the comentaries and images that this documenatry offers are all very peculiar and varied and provide a very interesting look at street art and its development.
July 12, 2014
I can't tell whether or not any of this is true or if Banksy is just pulling our legs but that just adds to the genius of it all! I enjoy what he is doing by sending a message through art and not revealing himself. The movie, however, shows the hilarious humor he has while still being able to expand the art form.
June 25, 2014
Excellent look at pop culture and street art, and the people around artists who pay good money for schlock.
February 13, 2014
One of, if not the, most important documentary pieces of the global graffiti and street art scene since Style Wars, Exit Through The Gift Shop is a brilliantly edited look into contemporary arts attempt at overtaking the street art scene. Part experiment, part art piece, signature Banksy, this is one of the best documentaries on art in the passed decade.
November 3, 2013
Kind of inconsistent in theme, but entertaining throughout.
June 12, 2014
I wasn't expecting to like this, until it completely sucked me in. By the end I was talking back at the screen and laughing at MBW and the "art collectors" who so highly prized his work. A must see and would make a delightful companion to F For Fake.
May 18, 2014
Not only does he tell the humorous success story behind someone else, Banksy also slyly reveals the motivations behind a whole generation of street artists.
January 27, 2011
I like his art, but this documentation is disoriented.
May 10, 2014
Kind of fake, also couldn't hear a word Banksy was saying
Alice S

April 30, 2014
Banksy's directorial debut and it shows. It nears mockumentary status for how the subject of the film essentially becomes the filmmaker, but that switch comes too late to fulfill the larger narrative purpose or thesis, which isn't quite discernible either. I thought I'd be getting a film about graffiti and its status in the art world, but there is very little actual background or debate about this guerrilla art form.

The camera flashes quickly through the art pieces, not staying on any one long enough for the audience to take it in. The film is tainted by garbled and shadowed Banksy's desire for anonymous fame, and the motor is more propelled by Thierry Guetta's wild ravings and incompetent artistry than a real search for truth. This all makes me wonder whether or not Banksy even intended to make an earnest film about the legitimacy of graffiti (which seems to be what most people take away from this film), or if he actually just intended to alienate the audience with devil-may-care antics as a type of "joke's on you, this is shiite" anti-art performance piece, and if that's the case, he may have succeeded.
April 29, 2014
Really fascinating, but is it real or is it a put on? Who cares, it's that good.
Fatima A.
April 26, 2014
It was fun to watch and thought-provoking at the same time.
tehe
April 1, 2014
First it starts out as a movie that I thought highlighted the underground world of artist. Showing how street art was this wonderful hobby that had a heartfelt message underneath. I hated this aspect of it because I'm biased against street art. Saying that its really is vandalism at the heart of it. Putting art on things you don't own is wrong to me and those involved should be punished. It then blossomed into something new and something I enjoyed. It was like my kid could paint that in a way; where it shows the critique of art itself and the utter stupidity of collectors in the art industry. This is where the fun starts and turns into a funny treat. When people start to buy up street art for ridiculous prices is funny to me. Everyone's trying to make a profit somewhere and the message starts to fade away. Then Mr. Brainwash comes into picture and totally flips the art industry on its heals. Making it just about profit and not about actual quality. It gives a sense of how the public views art and how ignorance plays a huge part in the success of the art business. The huge critique of the art industry might be biased in a way but they back it up with facts. Unlike "Bowling for Columbine", where it was a random collage of video that had facts but was driven by huge amounts of opinions. This allowed for biased film making to peek its ugly head. ETTGS gave facts that supported those opinions of the industry. Heck the filmmaker is a street artist himself. It was one of the most entertaining doc. I've seen ever. 8.8/10
March 31, 2014
This movie is FANTASTIC. A truly amazing look at street art from one of the masters. He's cocky, he's critical, but Banksy is a true artistic genius. His apprentice Thierry Guetta on the other hand is an absolute riot. Really funny, clever and heartfelt.
November 16, 2012
The best thing about Exit is how it mocks those who know too little or too much about the art world. Not that I'm arguing that if you didn't like it you're either too uncultured or too pretentious, just that with all satires and cultural exposes you need to keep a level head. I found this film interesting and enjoyable. I learnt things about the world of street art as well as being entertained. There's not much more that I want from a film like this.