—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Exorcism of Emily Rose Reviews

Apeneck F

July 18, 2007
Wilkinson and Linney's dynamic performances are the reason to see this melodramatic if typical exorcism piece, he as the anxious priest attempting to fit medieval beliefs into skeptical modern times and she as the atheist legal eagle he needs most to convince. Not boring.
Alexander D

July 9, 2011
Starring Jennifer Carpenter as the title character, THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE is 25% courtroom drama, 25% psychological horror, 25% supernatural mystery, and 25% rip-off of THE SIXTH SENSE.

It isn't the most original film, as it seems like an homage to previous demonic, exorcism-related films (i.e. THE OMEN, THE EXORCIST); but that is made up for by the suspenseful cinematographic experience, the ingeniously-tackled camera angles, the solid performances by actors such as Tom Wilkinson and Campbell Scott, and the flummoxing plot of the entire feature.

That said, this is not a film I would watch again; but it was not one of those cases when I've wanted to raise torches and pitchforks for "PG-13 horror", because this proved that a PG-13 rating does not automatically make a horror movie dull and stupid.
Eric A

September 25, 2011
Don't really remember seeing this, that might say alot about the quality of the film. I do remember that the possessed scenes weren't that cheesy, so that's a positive at least.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 16, 2007
Second best exorcism flick ever made! In the first place, of course, you'll find the 1973 cult phenomenon The Exorcist. What may be interesting to know though is that there's a true story behind this, that also became the inspiration for said classic. It is by many believed to be genuine, and as someone with personal experience of the supernatural, I have to admit that I'm a believer as well. Anyway, aside from the real-life mysteries upon which it is founded, this is a horror film that really hits the mark. Jennifer Carpenter is exceptionally convincing and there's creepiness in the plenty that will have your nerves working overtime. Expect your electrical bill to go up a tad, if you catch my drift. Because this is one movie you don't wanna be watching alone in a dark room. That's what I did, and I'm deeply regretting it now.
Sajin P

February 22, 2011
People keep comparing this movie to 'The Exorcist', and judge that this one aint spooky enough. But this is not meant to be a spooky horror flick, in fact it is more like Exorcist, the novel, in terms of giving alternate explanations- religious and scientific- for every thing happening to Emily. (Something which was omitted in the movie version of The Exorcist)
In the end, movie leaves it to the audience's discretion to believe or not in the stories about demons and exorcism.
TheGame90
TheGame90

January 29, 2011
It was a little better than I thought. It was nice that it was a court movie and a horror movie in one. A little different. Not just brainless horror. It's a horror movie that lets you use you'r brain. And for that...it gets a extra half star. Jennifer Carpenter does a pretty good job. And just like in another exorcism movie that I'm not gonna mention by name...The face of evil makes a guest apperance
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 29, 2008
People are calling this a horror film. I disagree. There are horror elements to it but it dominantly a courtroom drama...and an excellent one at that. There are some remarkable performances in this and some great back and forth during the courtrooms scenes. I really dug this film.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 17, 2007
part horror, part court room drama, and entirely excellent. this is easily one of the best horror films of its generation. excellent performances from linney, wilkinson, and scott, wonderful cinematography, and well crafted editing. the film creates an awareness of the battle between good and evil in a way paralleled by few films, and the feeling i was left with at the end of the film was one that i would do well to remember.
Spencer S

December 9, 2008
Much like the original exorcist in it's vivid representation of demonic possession, but taking on the modern view of religious fervor versus reality. Carpenter is excellent as always, and Wilkinson, though a good choice compared with Max von Sydow, makes a strange illusion in the court room scenes.
BEACHBUNNI
BEACHBUNNI

February 16, 2008
THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE,has drama,horror and thrills and is really a courtroom drama at its core. It's a case of faith, and whether or not you believe in angels and demons, this film asks a lot of good questions: based on a true story,you have to ask yourself "what do you believe?"
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 13, 2010
In the style of The Exorcist, The Exorcism Of Emily Rose deals with as the title sugests, the possession and exorcism of a young girl. This unlike any other Horror as it also combines elements of a courtroom Thriller. For that aspect, the film is extremely original, and manages to actually combine two genres of cinema into one film. The result is very satisfying. and is a very effective, tension filled horror film. Though not as memorable as The Exorcist, The Exorcism Of Emily Rose is very horrifying and is a breath of fresh air in a time of horror remakes. This film delivers something new and original. Maybe some people will pass on this title for that simple fact. The overall film has a great buildup of tension mixed with downright chilling moments. The story was well written and all the members of the cast played memorable roles. If you loved The Exorcist, then this film is for you; just don't expect it to be as good as The Exorcist. It's definitely worth a watch. A film to will most likely give you a couple sleepless nights, The Exorcism Of Emily Rose, is a nfine return to old school horror, it doesn't try hard to build it's horror, the whole film from start to finish reeks with it. The film is not flawless, at times it's a tad predictable; but overall it doesn't fail to disappoint. The film may not appeal to every horror fan, but considering that Hollywood remakes classics of the genre nonstop, you should give this one a try. Jennifer Carpenter of Dexter fame, plays Emily Rose and she gives a haunting performance. She manages to be so creepy that I thought her performances was one of the scariest things that I had seen in a long time. The creepiest thing that happened to me after viewing this film for the first time was that I actually awoke at 3:00 AM, the exact time that the Emily Rose character wakes up in the film and starts feeling possessed. Just with that experience, added to the overall creepiness of the film, and I consider this film a frightening experience, definitely worth watching. This is far better than you might think. This is an incredible film with a good cast. A fine horror film that would be a shame for any horror fan to miss, as this is very thrilling, scary and original.
Anthony L

February 4, 2010
A decent ghost story/court room drama full of scary bits and enough intrigue to keep you interested. It's obviously not as good as The Exorcist but Jennifer carpenter was really good as the doomed Emily Rose. Not bad.
Conner R

November 18, 2009
Really well done, completely different than what I was expecting. It's not a horror movie at all, which is how they promoted it. What it turned out to be is a look into posession and exorcisms from a legal standpoint. It's funny how they make the subject look so outlandish when other aspects of the same religion are looked at as fact. Laura Linney and Tom Wilkinson were amazing and really sold the movie, otherwise you just have an expensive episode of Law and Order. Even though I don't consider it a horror movie, it did have some creepy aspects.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

October 18, 2009
The best possession movie I have seen in some time, looks at it from a different side. Its falters back and forth between court room legal battle and the actions of Emily itself. Now I'm not going to say it was scary, but if I took a girl out and her face got all locked up like that and her eyes turned red or black and her back and neck twisted this way and that, well lets just say I'm jumping out at 60 mph. Its a good story, has moving moments where you feel for Emily and the Priest. My thoughts case should have been dismissed. Like the writing on the tombstone. Anyone know where grave is located??? 4 1/2 stars
Chris G

July 12, 2009
Every since The Exorcist came storming into theaters with its pea soup vomit and 360 degree head turns a blazing the slightest use of the word "exorcist" or "exorcism" always conjures up images of Linda Blair tied to a bed screaming at Father Merrin to f**k Father Karras. Over thirty years after that monumental film we get The Exorcism of Emily Rose, a film that features yet another possessed girl and another trouble priest, though this time the film goes about telling the story in a vastly different way as compared to The Exorcist.

The film opens with the police coming to a rural farm house to investigate the death of Emily Rose (Jennifer Carpenter). When they arrive they find Father Moore (Tom Wilkinson) and begin asking him question pertaining to her death, which appears to be ghastly, painful, and inhumane. As one thing leads to another Father Moore is arrested and put on trial for the death of Emily Rose through neglect and mis information (which is one of the plot holes I found in the film- why weren't the parents on trial with him I have no idea). Moore ends up with a hot shot defender Erin Bruner (Laura Linney) who is a little too good at her job and has to carry the weight of keeping evil men out of jail on her shoulders. The subsequent trial is less about saving Father Moore but more about telling Emily's story and letting people know what she did and how there is evil in the world.

The first comparison is going to be with The Exorcist and it obviously is not as good as that film. That is the standard bearer and will probably never be topped in it's sheer terror and creepy feel it holds throughout. It's really not fair to compare the two when you get to the meat of the comparison. The Exorcist is a pure horror film. Emily Rose feels more like a John Grisham novel with a way out there premise. It's more of a courtroom drama than a horror film and isn't really as scary or gory as you may be led to believe. It's more about suspense. It keeps you interested, ready for that cat to jump through the window or the ironing board to fall from the closet. It never does, but you're ready for it. The fact there aren't that many scares keeps you on the edge waiting for them to show up because we all know how horror movies work.

The acting of the main three cast members is superb with Wilkinson, Linney, and Carpenter falling into the respective roles. Campbell Scott plays the prosecutor and I just don't buy his performance. They picked him for a reason, yet he seems to be a terrible prosecutor who should probably be defending traffic court instead of a high profile case such as this one. Director Scott Derrickson is adequate at directing the film, though he strangely gets better when he's working in the dark. Like I said, he gets you to feel the scare that you just know is around the corner.

Of course The Exorcism of Emily Rose is going to get blasted by the tons of horror fans pulled in by the title and not getting the product they thought they were getting into. Instead of a blood fest it is actually a suspense film that keeps you entertained as long as you avoid the plot holes throughout. It's above average for the genres it represents but nothing to spectacular beyond that.
Megan S

February 12, 2007
This was like a scary episode of Law & Order. It was pretty good, a good mix of drama and scary scenes. Some of the demonic stuff really creeped me out and I really hoped I didnt wake up and look at the clock and it would say 3:00am for a while after I saw this movie.
Bobby H

February 17, 2008
The movie is scary for what it is. To know that this kind of stuff really happens, and it was based on truth. The acting was well done too.
The only real downfall is it drags out a little too long, and I found myself drowsing at parts because of it.
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

February 15, 2008
This was interesting from a "based on a true story" point of view.
jagfire
jagfire

January 19, 2008
How about less talk and more head spinning?