• R, 2 hr. 15 min.

83% Sons of Anarchy: Season 7

Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen Reviews

Matt G

May 5, 2011
The greatest horror film ever made. It doesn't scare me or anything, but it is really well made and is one of my favorite movies.
Conner R

September 30, 2010
Even better than the original that seemed to be flawless. The few key scenes they do add are amazing, I can't imagine the crab walk not being part of the experience now. I feel like the pacing is even better, there's more time spent with the characters and an even more mystifying tone to it. It will always be the horror movie that got me crazy about the genre, there's no way you can see this and not be utterly blown away. It's realistic, creepy and beautiful. William Friedken's level of detail is amazing and unmatched in the context of the release and expectations in horror movies at the time.
Rodrigo R

December 17, 2011
I saw this version and found it a little better than the original, but the beginning is boring and confusing.
January 19, 2013
The only Truly scary movie I have ever seen. I have been on the hunt for a truly scary movie since. Grown to love the genre But none have ever scared me like this did. Still holds up very well. If you don't feel it you may already be possessed .
November 24, 2013
The Magic of This Movie Is That It Is Very Scary and yet You Can Never Take Your Eyes off it
ElmosLively
October 21, 2013
When I first saw this film way back when I was about 14 years old I thought that this film was the scariest I had ever seen. Well, I've seen it several times since, and I'm not sure whether it's the scariest ever, but it still packs quiet a punch. It's been often copied but never duplicated and if you get a chance to see the director's cut from the year 2000, then you really should.
September 15, 2013
The new scenes don't really add much to the overall story which is still steady and slow moving, but the movie still has the power to shock after 40 odd years. You do have to wonder if this would ever get made these days...
July 24, 2013
Simply a more demonic and even more frightening version of the scariest film to ever be made, rounded off by spectacular effects and chilling performances, a film which will be scary for the rest of time. Truly brilliant.
July 13, 2013
I wont see it to this day ever
March 15, 2013
Amazing film, everything works and I dont see a bit of weakness in this film. The version you've never seen shows scenes that compliment and add more to the already great film. There's nothing more to say, just watch it and be amazed and at one of the innovative horror films still to its day
August 6, 2012
I didn't like the film when I first saw it, but I decided to re-view it to give it another chance. The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen is a decent restoration of the 1973 controversial film, but for the "scariest film ever", it is not really that scary, in fact it produces more laughs, though it may have been effective during it's original release. The film is also quite slow and tedious at times, though a lot of the uneventful moments are mainly apart of character development. Though, I must praise the acting, the execution and the direction of this film. The acting is brilliant, the film was well-made and well-directed. In the end, The Exorcist is a very good film but I was completely unaffected by the film's scares unlike many other people.
The Creep
July 6, 2009
To cap off the Halloween season this year, I review one of the scariest horror films there has ever been. This has stood the test of time with abounding horror, brilliant performances, and great effects for the time.

PLOT:Chris MacNeil (Ellen Burstyn) and her daughter, Regan (Linda Blair), are currently living in a big city while Chris is acting in a movie, shot by the drunken director, Burke Dennings (Jack MacGowran). While there, strange things start happening in the MacNeil household, for Regan claims her bed has been shaking and has been swearing heavily like she has never before. The doctors say its a problem with her temporal lobe, but things only go from bad to worse as they try to treat her. After seeing sights such as her daughter growling, levitating, and even changing voices, Chris becomes convinced that her daughter is possessed. She has a tough time find a priest to help, but she eventually stumbles across faith-stricken Father Karras (Jason Miller) and professional exorcist, Father Merrin (Max von Sydow), who has also been on expeditions to Africa for experience. These two must get the demon out of Regan or die trying. It's a great plot executed brilliantly.

ACTING:The performances in here are top-notch. Linda Blair has to be one of the best child actors of all-time for pulling off Regan MacNeil, a possessed child, at only about 9 years old. Jason Miller and Max von Sydow also played a couple great parts as the priests, Father Karras and Merrin; they played off of each other very well and worked intensely. The other shining stars would have been Ellyn Burstyn as distressed Chris MacNeil, Jack MacGowran as drunken Burke Dennings, Lee J. Cobb as Lt. Winderman, Mercedes McCambridge as the demon voice, and Eileen Dietz as the demon's face.

SCORE:The score is creepy and very memorable. The theme song, "Tubular Bells" by Mike Oldfield, has become one of the most memorable horror film themes in history. The rest of the score was pretty good too, and done in part by Jack Nitzche.

EFFECTS:The effects for this film's time were phenomenal, and they still are. The effects in here are super realistic, which makes them all the more scary. The blood, make-up, vomit, bed-shaking, head-turning, and illusioned effects were very great and made everything scary as ever.

OTHER CONTENT:This is one of the best horror films I've ever seen. Along with its previous rises, it doesn't stray too far from the book, has great editing, and is shot to scare. I've read the book before, and after seeing this, I notice only a slight change in dialogue and detail. Otherwise, all is down right. The director, William Friedkin, did a great job editing this film just right, as to add the most effective scares; it's great cinematography. This film is shot to do nothing to its audience but scare, disturb, and unnerve. In its release, it succeeded greatly. Today, it still does. This is truly an iconic horror film. I also appreciate how much awesome bonus material is added in this version, which makes it even better and more accurate. However, the book had a bit more feeling put into its ending as compared to the film. I cried at the end of the book, but the film just got my nerves up. They both come close as ever, but the book has a smidge more feeling in it.

OVERALL,an awesome horror film with a brilliantly-executed plot, top-notch performances, creepy score, realistic effects, most accuracy to the book, great editing, the effect to scare, and plenty of added bonuses, but the book has a bit of a stronger ending than the film.
November 1, 2012
The original movie, the best of all the series. This and emily rose hands down some of the best scary movies there is
October 27, 2012
Personally, I like the extended beginning and added footage.
October 2, 2012
This is one of the best horror films of all time
Jason Jackson
October 2, 2012
This is one of the best horror films of all time
Patrick M.
September 29, 2012
All I can say is: Spider Walk.
July 14, 2012
What's Remarkable about The Exorcist, especially when you compare it to other horror films, is its patience. It takes the time to calmly develop the ordinary home life of a modern postnuclear family, letting you get comfortable in the setting, and then things slowly get stranger and stranger, until eventually everything you knew has been upset or overturned.There's a fear of the future here, of a new deviancy that the older generation can neither understand or control, which very much positions The Exorcist in the social battles of its age, possibly even as a backlash against the youth revolt of the 1960s. But there's also a more universal fear here -- the fears of parenthood, and the unshakable notion that your child might turn out to be a monster and you would be responsible.More than this social commentary, what stands out is the excellence of execution -- the note-perfect direction, pacing, cinematography, and acting.
July 12, 2012
Stunning! Finally a SCARY horror film! Beautifully crafted, great direction, and cinematography. But most of all perfect pitch pacing make this film amazing. Stands the test of time, is confronting and definitely not for the faint hearted! Still deserves the R rating!!! Absolutely brilliant. They don't make films like this anymore!
July 8, 2012
The effects are dated, but the story is good, and they do not take away from that.