Explicit Ills - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Explicit Ills Reviews

February 16, 2012
another lost review flixta!
August 30, 2013
I don't really like giving one star votes but there was nothing fresh about this story and it couldn't hold my attention. I'm a fan of Rosario Dawson and she's why I watched it but she was only part of a vignette so it just wasn't enough to save it. I watched most of it but didn't finish it, unless there was some sort of amazing ending (which I doubt) this one was just boring to me...kind of on the same lines as those cigarette commercials that went on for a while as a public safety announcement that show mortality in a way that's not really effective.
August 30, 2013
March 9, 2009
I think it would be good for insomniacs.
March 6, 2009
I am going to pass on this one.
½ May 13, 2012
Ensemble drama clumsily works its way to a Big Message
February 8, 2012
its a good drama that has parts dat are just boring and make u not care.
August 11, 2009
aw, i dunno, I kinda and i dont.
½ June 7, 2011
Depressing & the music was tedious .I couldn't watch it all
November 19, 2009
This is an intriguing story of different people with different connections to the movie's theme. With great cinematography.

Personally, I think there are too many stories being told at the same time, with too little in common. I was having problem seeing how they connected until the last minute, and that punchline wasn't powerful enough for me.
April 4, 2011
Mark Webber is a good actor.I like Paul Dano too. But,,, hummm
April 2, 2011
its a good drama that has parts dat are just boring and make u not care.
½ December 11, 2010
For Fans Of: Weaving story lines, Rosario Dawson, Paul Dano
Date Night: Nope
Art Factor: Medium
Fun Factor: None
Emotional Factor: Low
Intelligence Required: Low
Essential Viewing: No

The Plot: Four stories of various poor people in the same poor area weave about.

My Take: Multiple story lines are usually really fun for me. Babel, Crash, 21 Grams, etc., I find them a fun change of pace from the usual formula. But after watching Explicit Ills I am reminded of what can go wrong.
Before we get to the wrong let me hit the few bright spots. First time director Mark Webber was not bad behind the lens at all. Many of his shots were interesting takes where most would have settled for the usual. He also used some nice transitions that were both creative and sudden. The ensemble cast was wonderful, with Dano and Dawson being the only two established players in the cast. Both Dano and Dawson shown bright, but we just weren't given enough time to see just how bright. Which leads me to...
What went wrong. The multiple story lines are very loosely tied together. In fact, I really never gave a shit that they were. It just never felt necessary to see the big picture because the small ones all felt so damned rushed. That rush speed is this film's problem in a nutshell and a great lesson to film students everywhere. Do not sacrifice intimate moments of a film because you are trying to squeeze in too many intimate moments. Let your actors breathe into scenes and stay with them for a bit. Dont make a film where you want me to care if your not going to give me a chance to find out what I should be caring about...
November 30, 2010
Dark, spooky look into a Philly community. I had no idea where it was going at times, and found myself wanting to turn the channel repeatedly. In the end I was left with a sad hopefulness. Black thought held it down tho (The Roots representing). Don't kno how I slept on this joint!
½ November 30, 2010
This flick was a roller coaster of highs and lows litterally, but the chess scean won me over.
November 7, 2010
This movie tries to be something that it's not -- i.e. a great Indie. The synopsis & the DVD cover make it look&sound a lot more interesting...than it really is. Falls (totally) flat.
I's expecting something akin to The Wire (TV series) or Spike Lee's 'Do the Right Thing'.
Didn't bother watching it to the end.
March 4, 2009
A good first effort with heart felt acting but this film does not provide the thrills and spills some expect from inner city explorations.This film looked & sounded really good,But after the view it's just a huge dissapointment,SKIP IT!!!
July 17, 2009
I am not the correct audience for this type of film. It seems to me that, if you took four average American dramas took cuts of the boring bits and put them together you'd end up with a film like this. OK the weak stories came together a bit at the end but was there really a point to this other than to test out the directors wobbly hand technique, by the way, that didn't work unless you wanted to give the audience a headache.
September 4, 2010
Three of my favorite young actors are in this movie: Paul Dano, Lou Taylor Pucci and Rosario Dawson. I was bound to like it even if it had been horrible, but as it turned out I liked it because it was wonderful.
July 25, 2010