63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

LorenzoVonMatterhorn

October 9, 2012
"How big is it?"
"Four miles wide!"

Everyone knows what to do if one morning the sky would be absolutely full of UFOs: run as fast as you can. However, what would happen if the invasion started while you are in the flat of the girl of your dreams, the one you have just met?

REVIEW
A low key, sci-fi romantic comedy from "Timecrimes" director Nacho Vigalondo, "Extraterrestrial" is about a girl (Julia) and a guy (Julio) who engage in a one night stand, only to wake up the next day and discover an ominous looking spacecraft hovering above the city. Stuck with each other and nowhere else to go, the UFO becomes the least of their worries when Julia's boyfriend comes into the picture to make things more awkward for all three of them. For anyone expecting this to be a Hollywood-type alien invasion film, you will be sorely disappointed because the film mostly focuses on the three main characters (and one nosey neighbor) and the weird, sexual politics they're all caught up in. The sci-fi part is mostly backdrop and looking at the overall picture, is mostly inconsequential to the main narrative drive of the film. The cast do a stand up job of riffing off with each other and Vigalondo's painfully dry humor (and the comedy gold that is mined from a hilariously awkward situation) is brimming with character and charisma that bounces off the four corners of the apartment from the which the story mostly takes place in. A minimalist, very cheeky sci-fi comedy, but also an astute observation on human behavior, "Extraterrestrial" is understated brilliance, its out of this world.

August 26, 2013
"Extraterrestrial" starts with Julio(Julian Villagran) waking up in an unfamiliar bed, staring at a bra that does not belong to him. That's because it belongs to Julia(Michelle Jenner), as does the bed and apartment where they disagree over what exactly happened the night before. What they can agree on is the present where they find they have no cell phone service, internet or television reception, probably due to the honking big flying saucer downtown whose arrival they missed due to oversleeping, along with the resultant evacuation. But they are not alone as Julia's neighbor Angel(Carlos Areces) has stuck around, too. And then Julio finds out the hard way that Julia has a boyfriend, Carlos(Raul Cimas).

I think there is a good deal to admire about the offbeat movie "Extraterrestrial," assuming one is looking in the right direction and ignores the four mile wide spaceship in the room. Granted it is an approach that might drive many viewers to chocolate but then they would miss the movie's neat insights into the nature of relationships, including one character in a moment of clarity and brutal honesty saying one thing so perceptive that I wonder why nobody has expressed it before. At the same time, the movie can be just as subtle in how we got here. In any case, I am left wondering what those visitors to this planet make of us poor deluded earthlings.
May 9, 2014
peccato peccato... sarà la delusione dovuta alle aspettative, ma dopo quell'esordio lì mi sei un po' scaduto Nacho...
March 10, 2014
3.5/5 It's really not that good overall, but it's funny, odd and a little sexy.
February 6, 2014
This is a flick that I heard about last year and I meant to see it but it totally went off my radar - hard to explain it - it's about a couple having an affair while spaceships are floating all over the world - a little of comedy - a little satire - a little romantic - and extremely quirky - definitely not something Hollywood would make.
December 6, 2013
From the director of Los cronocrimenes (Timecrimes) comes a lighthearted approach to the alien invasion genre. The bigger sci-fi concepts sreve as the backdrop for what it really, a romantic comedy. This film is funny and endearing. Great writing, great acting and great cinematography make this film more than just a sci-fi flick or just a romantic comedy.
October 6, 2013
Extraterrestrial (Nacho Vigalondo): An oddball romcom about a love triangle set against an alien invasion. Pretty clever ideas, but the humor is too dry for my liking.

August 26, 2013

August 16, 2012
A resourceful little character drama that just happens to have aliens floating around in the background.
January 9, 2013
It is funny that the story does not have to do anything with aliens. Since Michelle Jenner is super hot! I wish the flick would have had more nudity. :-)
SirRedtheBum
December 6, 2012
Much like Another Earth, this film takes a sci-fi concept (alien invasion) and doesn't really do much with it directly. The spaceship hangs in the sky as a backdrop to what is basically a rom-com. The aliens are just a prop to use in an adulterer's lies upon lies upon lies. The film is enjoyable enough if you don't come into a film called Extraterrestrial and expect, y'know, an alien.
October 24, 2012
It fails to get interesting.
September 17, 2012
There could be no one as stupid as Carlos but it was ok enough.
July 30, 2012
Una de las peliculas mas inclasificables, absurdas y ¿divertidas? que he visto en los ultimos años. No tengo claro si me ha encantado, si la odio y si simplemente no me he enterado de nada en absoluto!!! Y es que una pelicula que se llama Extraterrestre en la que lo unico extraterrestre es un plano fijo de media nave espacial... Extraña...
July 28, 2012
A romantic comedy with xenophobia, deep suspicion and spaceships. I liked Time Crimes, so I decided to give this a try. Not as good because it doesn't go anywhere. The female character is played dumb for no reason.
This is an expansion on a Twilight Zone episode about what humans do to each other.
July 27, 2012
Bad story, bad acting, boring.
July 13, 2012
Good film but not for everybody... idiots will not like it.
July 1, 2012
Enjoyed this funny Spanish Sci-fi comedy drama. Don't expect much sci-fi. but the plot are characters are entertaining.
June 25, 2012