—— The Identical Sep 05

87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Vynález zkázy (The Fabulous World of Jules Verne)(A Deadly Invention) Reviews

August 31, 2014
On the way to visit his friend Professor Roch(Arnost Navratil) and assist him on a new invention, Simon Hart(Lubor Tokos) enjoys his journey while taking note of all the new wonders of technology. Since that new invention is a deadly new explosive, it should come as no surprise that the two men are kidnapped by the nefarious Count Artigas(Miroslav Holub) and taken to a secret island.

"The Fabulous World of Jules Verne" is an entertaining film that is partially animated(through the wonders of 'Mysti-Mation!). This process works for the most part, even though the underwater scenes are a little underwhelming. Even then, the movie conveys as well as possible the rapidly changing world that Verne was experiencing on a daily basis in the 19th century. At the same time, it also anticipates what would come to be known as steampunk.

August 31, 2014

February 1, 2014
Notable for its unique animation techniques.
ToDandy
March 24, 2013
A brilliant and often times seamless stylistic mix of live action, traditional animation, and stop motion. A Deadly Invention truly does capture the world of Jules Verne.
Thomas W.
November 13, 2010
I'll never forget watching this film at the ripe old age of 10 at the local drive in with my grandma and aunt. This was my favorite author with his own really cool movie. Boy that was a long time ago. I have a VHS tape of this film, and would like to buy a DVD of it, but the quality of all the DVD's I seen are no better than the tape I do have.

It was a masterpiece of animation/live action created in a format called "Mystimation". The look of this film was intended to be in the same idea as the pen and ink drawings that were present in some versions of Vern's works. I loved it, and I watch it from time to time for the fond memories of a time when your imagination was the special effects of the day. Films the like of this one are gone forever and will never return. The story told by the film isn't as important as the time and place it was viewed. I hope all you Scifi movie folks get to see this treasure at least once.