Facing Ali - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Facing Ali Reviews

bbcfloridabound
½ October 21, 2010
A good filn that talks with the boxers of the past when everybody knew who these boxers were along with the Champ Muhammad Ali. Ask anybody back between 1960-1978 who the Boxing Champ of the world was they would say ALI, ask today and 9 out of 10 people will say I don't know. The only dissapointing part of the film no modern day interview with Ali. Still 3 1/2 stars
November 15, 2011
An honest and powerful documentary on the fighting career of Mohamed Ali as told by his opponents. Greatest boxer there ever was.
August 11, 2010
One of the better boxer documentaries out there. I peffer "Tyson" because he was the fighter in my era, but I haven'y seen all the footage of Ali fights. Somebody really familier with Ali may know everything in the film and non-boxing fans may not like it as much.
½ July 28, 2010
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Simply edited conversations with people that fought the champ. It blows away Ali, and I like Will Smith. Would totally recommend this one, put it on your lists!
May 2, 2010
Plenty of great video and interviews with as many as 10 of Ali's prior opponents. Not surprisingly many of their comments are subtitled, as you would have no clue what they were saying otherwise. A good portion of the time was dedicated to the personal stories of said opponents. While some were quite interesting, they were ultimately unrelated to the main story of Ali's career. For those with a greater knowledge of the man than me, this may be retreading the tires.
½ January 25, 2015
I love sports documentaries, especially boxing docs, and this is an excellent one. Great interviews with Joe Frazier, George Forman, Ken Norman, Leon Spinks, Earnie Shavers, Larry Holmes and others.
½ October 13, 2012
Well done documentary of the legendary boxer
September 8, 2012
Great perspective from the people who have went toe to toe with the Champ.
March 25, 2012
Splendido documentario che raccoglie interviste, curiosità e aneddoti raccontati da chi sul ring contro Mohammad Ali c'è salito.
½ December 29, 2009
At last, an unbiased documentary about Ali with depth. Where Will Smith's film forgot to mention the knockdown by Cooper saved by the bell and almost celebrated Ali like a god, this honest nuts and bolts film features Ali's main opponent's personal fight experiences facing the greatest boxer of all time, along with with their own history as well.
Great editing and funky music allows for an immersive experience for all those interested in Ali's fights from within the ring.
September 7, 2011
JP's RATING: 4 stars out of 4.
½ September 1, 2010
To see and hear former boxers tell the story of what it was like to face Muhammad Ali makes this documentary a must watch for any Ali fan or enthusiast.

I personally feel there is not any more interesting athlete on the planet than Ali. His life and impact on American society is amazing and to see the classic footage and her the stories from those who fought The Greatest is a perfect mix to make this a very enjoyable watch.
August 17, 2010
I was in awe after watching FACING ALI, just to see once great champion boxers and how personal they dig into there lives to show what it was like to be among the greatest champion Muhammad Ali, how he changed every individual fighters life's and careers. See this documentary read the book come up with your own conclusions decide for yourself. Muhammad Ali is a great hero in my life and inspiration to push me to be "The Greatest".
½ May 6, 2010
Awesome documentary for any boxing or sports fan.
½ April 18, 2010
Great movie, a must see for any boxing or sports fan, a very real, candid and often emotional view of Ali from the other side. No rose tinted glasses here...this is a real depiction of a wonderful but like all geniuses flawed character.
½ March 6, 2010
Absolutely on good documentary. I have seen some terribly done documentaries but this one definitely was well done. It was very interesting to see the best boxers whole career from his ups and downs. I just wish he didn't end up with the disease. He was too good for that.
January 24, 2010
WOW! Just a great movie, so well made from top to bottom. This movie is an in depth look at some of the many men Ali fought in his long carrer and how it changed his life as well as theres. Absolutly "The Greatest" documentary I'v ever seen.
½ January 20, 2010
Just like his title in the boxing ring. Just simply GREAT.
January 7, 2010
Simply put: Facing Ali is a really good documentary. This director gives a fresh take on sports documentaries by interviewing legendary fighers such Larry Holmes, Ken Norton, George Foreman and of course, the mighty Joe Frazier. The twist is that each fighter would desribe their mental process while facing Ali, as well as, the effect the fight had on their career and legacy. Truly worth watching if you are a boxing fan.

Other fighers include: George Chuvalo, Ernie Terrell, Sir Henry Cooper, Ron Lyle, Earnie Shavers and Leon Spinks. I can only hope that this director continues to do these type of films with other fighters such as Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones and other intimidating fighters. I would personally love a Facing Jordan, but we can all dream can't we?

Overall solid film, especially since nowadays you can rent a new movie for under a buck!