The Faculty (1998)
Average Rating: 5.6/10
Reviews Counted: 49
Fresh: 26 | Rotten: 23
Rip-off of other sci-fi thrillers.
Average Rating: 4.7/10
Critic Reviews: 7
Fresh: 3 | Rotten: 4
Rip-off of other sci-fi thrillers.
Average Rating: 2.9/5
User Ratings: 185,442
Miramax Films darlings Robert Rodriguez and screenwriter Kevin Williamson teamed up for a high-school alien-horror film that they described as The Breakfast Club meets Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Dilapidated Herrington High is the location for a story about a school faculty taken over by outer-space creatures, forcing the students to take charge and kick some alien butt. School faculty members (Robert Patrick, Bebe Neuwirth, Salma Hayek, and Jon Stewart) are infested with rapidly reproducing
Dec 25, 1998 Wide
Jun 15, 1999
Watch It Now
Miss Elizabeth Burke
Mrs. Karen Olson
Mr. Frank Connor
Principal Valerie Dr...
Marybeth Louise Hutc...
Coach Joe Willis
Nurse Rosa Harper
Stokely 'Stokes' Mit...
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
This smart, involving sci-fi picture, set in an Ohio high school, pays homage to several genre faves, notably Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Thing.
Since the codes of science fiction are different from horror's cant, the patented Williamson method doesn't make a perfect fit with the material; Faculty's fun, but less fun than it could be.
Just whiskers away from being really snazzy, "The Faculty" still manages to make for a fun night out.
Surely isn't perfect, but it's a solid genre offering from Robert Rodriguez.
A zesty, charming sci-fi horror-thriller with better performances and far better production values than you'd expect.
Williamson's take-it-apart-and-put-it-back-together stitchmanship has become an arduous borefest.
The Faculty consistently draws attention to its own ill-joined cracks and seams.
Rodriguez puts his money into the predictable place - special effects - and you wonder where the imagination went.
The Faculty is a witty deconstruction of sci-fi movies - and a bloody good time at the movies.
Audience Reviews for The Faculty
- Marybeth Louise Hutchinson: You know in my world Casey, there were limitless oceans as far as the eye could see. Beautiful, huh? Till it started to dry out. So I escaped, came here, and I met you, all of you, and all of you were different from the others. You were lost and lonely, just like me. And I thought that maybe I could give you a taste of my world. A world without anger, without fear, without attitude. Where the underachiever goes home at night to parents who care. The jock can be smart, the ugly duckling beautiful, and the class wuss doesn't have to live in terror. The new girl - well - the new girl she can just fit right in with anybody. People who are just like her. You see Casey, even Mary-Beth's feelings can be hurt by a bunch of pathetic, lost, little outcasts who truly believe that their disaffected lonely life is the only way they can survive. I can make you a part of something so special Casey, so perfect, so fearless. Don't you want that, Casey?
- Casey Connor: I'd rather be afraid!
- Marybeth Louise Hutchinson: Fine. Alright. Have it your way! 'Cause this is where your land of fiction gets it right: we win. End of story!
- Stokely 'Stokes' Mitchell: I always thought the only alien in this high school was me.
- Casey Connor: I say we go for the coach. He turned Stan. He's the one. Or do you want to wait for them to come to us?
- Marybeth Louise Hutchinson: Either way we're completely unarmed.
- Zeke: Maybe not. I might have some more skat. In my trunk.
- Casey Connor: In your trunk? In your car? Amongst the aliens? Oh, that's convenient!
- Casey Connor: (final lines in the movie) Things sure have changed, haven't they?
- Coach Joe Willis: (menacingly) Would Miss Drake please report to the Principal's Office?
- Zeke: You both take the drug.
- Casey Connor: (already high) Ohh, showdown!
Discuss The Faculty on our Movie forum!
Latest News on The Faculty
February 1, 2007:Jordana Brewster is the New "Mrs. Smith"
Remember the news that director Doug Liman and screenwriter Simon Kinberg were planning to bring...
March 30, 2006:The "Grind House" Welcomes its First Visitors
CHUD.com clues us in on a few of the first cast members signed to star in the Tarantino/Rodriguez...
May 11, 2005:Trailer Bulletin: Shark Boy & Lava Girl!
Courtesy of Yahoo! Movies comes our first look at Robert Rodriguez's "The Adventures of Shark...