97% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

The Faculty Reviews

cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
This is pretty much a sci-fi/horror flick crossbred with The Breakfast Club, but despite the cheesiness, it's still a pretty fun twist on an old formula, namely the one laid out by stuff like The Thing, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Representatives from various cliques (jock, wuss, prep, rebel, weirdo, new kid) ban together when they stumble upon the revelation that their school is ground zero for an alien invasion. It's nothing new, but Kevin Williamson and Robert Rodriguez put a nice and slick twist to things that makes for a very entertaining watch. I think I really gravitate towards this ,especially when I was younger, because I could identify with the themes of isolation, not fitting in, etc. which is why I also became a fan of The Breakfast Club around that time as well.

The cast is star studded, featuring Elijah Wood, Clea Duvall, Josh Hartnett, Jordana Brewster, Laura Harris, and Shawn Hatosy as the primary group we follow, and Robert Patrick, Piper Laurie, Bebe Neuwirth, Salma Hayek, Jon Stewart, Famke Janssen, and even film critic Harry Knowles as some of the titular faculty. Christopher McDonald puts in an appearance as the father of Wood's character, and we also get singer Usher, Wiley Wiggins ,and Danny Masterson as some of the other students.

The effects mostly hold up, though some look rather hammy. At least there's a decent amount of violence and some gruesomeness, even if not all of it is that convincing anymore.

The film is a bit of a slow starting mystery, but once it kicks in, it's a fun ride with a decent soundtrack. Give it a go.
blkbomb
blkbomb

June 27, 2012
Casey: If you were going to take over the world, would you blow up the White House 'Independence Day' style, or sneak in through the back door?

"Six students are about to find out their teachers really are from a different planet."

Kevin Williamson does for the alien invasion movie with The Faculty what he had previously done for the slasher movie with Scream. The Faculty is a lot like Scream. It's set in a high school, there's a lot of references to the genre, there's a character that has the knowledge of what's going on because she's a lover of the science fiction genre, and there's the overall fun, funny, and entertaining script that Williamson brings to the table. Combine that with Robert Rodriguez's direction and you're in for an extremely fun, genre aware, teen horror show, that will be sure to keep you entertained for the duration.

I can't lie, the movie has some plot holes and it has the flaws that go along with those plot holes. So, it is by no means a perfect movie. Now, I have to say that I loved each and every second of The Faculty. It was a smart, semi-satire, sci-fi, teen horror film. Robert Rodriguez directs it like you would expect from him. It's fast paced and there's quite a bit of stuff going on.

The Faculty is set in Herrington High School, which is somewhere in Ohio. Six students become aware of a situation in the school where faculty members seem to be being taken over by aliens. Soon it's them against everyone as the situation spreads extremely quickly. The six of them are brought together despite their differences. They all have their standard cliché. We have the geek, the jock, the cheerleader, the new girl, the drug dealer, and the goth. All of them are brought to life through cool dialogue and situations, and by competent actors.

There's not much not to love here in my opinion. I can't see someone liking Scream and being unable to like this one. There's the same quick paced, electric feeling to it. There's the same feeling of spoofing the genre, while paying homage to it. Everything is there for an all around fun look at the alien invasion movie. There's references from Alien to Independence Day to Invasion of the Body Snatchers. The filmmakers have seen all these movies just like we have, and use elements of just about every alien invasion movie you can think of. Combined with a little smart and original tones on behalf of Williamson, it works great.

Just a terrific film. Definitely worth a look for lovers of the genre and of Scream. I have trouble understanding why more people didn't fall completely in love with this movie. It's extremely underrated. Maybe it's because people expected it to be just as good as Scream or maybe it's because people just don't get it. Honestly, I don't really give a shit. I loved it.
TheGame90
TheGame90

February 6, 2012
This movie is such a cheeseball. It's funny to watch...and it's a good movie. But it's not gonna win any oscars. But hey.... Not all movies have to.
Drew S

January 21, 2007
A disarmingly clever, subversive sci-fi/actioner, The Faculty nonetheless is burdened a bit by being caught in Scream's overwhelming shadow. As some critics have noted, Kevin Williamson's constant dismantling of whatever genre he's operating in offers plenty of surprises at the actual textual level, but on the whole it's easy to look at one of his movies and expect lots of metahumor and self-parody. Thus, The Faculty may catch a few viewers unawares (as it did with me, since I didn't know Williamson wrote it at the time), but anyone familiar with his distinctive brand might be a little less impressed.

This doesn't do much, however, to discount the absolutely insane premise - is Hollywood legitimizing drug use as a way of seeing "the truth"? - and the fun performances, as well as some kicky scenes of sci-fi brutality. As a sort of Invasion of the Body Snatchers as envisioned amongst high school students, it's extremely perceptive, not at all the "rip off" that some critics seem to write it off as. Definitely worth revisiting.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
Quite scary!
KJ P

October 1, 2010
Aliens have come to earth! How? Nobody knows, but they are taking over the faculty of herrington high school and as horrific as it may seem, it is one hell of an awesome ride. Led by an all-star cast, this film is fun, corny, scary, witty, and brutal. I loved it! It is more of a horror/comedy than a sci-fi flick, but the overall impact had me caring about every character involved. From the corny effects, to the laughable dialogue, to the final act that is actually impressively thrilling, The Faculty brings something that many fun teen films are missing, thrills that are fun and you don't need all your brain cells for. Lets just say that I call this film "FANTASTIC" in a big way, even though it does make me laugh a few times where it is not meant to be funny!
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

December 25, 2008
"I always thought the only alien in this high school was me."

A horror tale set in a High School where the students suspect the teaching staff of being aliens, who are intent on making the students their victims.

REVIEW
There is an undercurrent of "The Breakfast Club" meets "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" in this edgy horror/sci fi monster thriller that incorporates teenage angst, particularly in the beginning half of the movie. The build is nice. There is even a decent attempt at emotional connectivity during the climax that is rarely accomplished. The movie seems to waiver on the dark humor aspects and isn't sure what direction to take the movie and probably missed an opportunity to incorporate the novelty of teenager comedy to balance off this movie or playing it real straight. Overall, this is horror movie with a good dose of relational insight along with a number of twists and turns that for the most part work. The movie, however, loses a bit of its hard edged freshness and descends somewhat into the traditional horror clichés towards the end without really crashing and instead ends with an acceptable ending.
jagfire
jagfire

January 19, 2008
Awesome
Richard C

June 24, 2010
I love this movie. it's a great teen movie. it reminds me of the thing. A-
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 9, 2010
Written by Scream screenwriter Kevin Williamson, this is a more than capable teenage horror film that is better in the hands of competent director Robert Rodriguez. In The Faculty, it's a high school version of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers as teachers become aliens and take over a local high school by converting everyone to Aliens. The film is a fun little film and Robert Rodriguez gives this teen horror film an added kick with his directorial abilities, and The Faculty ends up being quite a terrific teen film. The film is obviously an homage to old school Alien invasion films, but this film is still interesting in the idea of the story, Alien teachers taking over a high school, a very interesting take on classic Alien films. The Faculty will not please everyone, but to those who want a harmless, fun Horror film, this film is is, and as considering this was directed by Robert Rodriguez, this makes it a winner.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
Why did I watch this again? Oh yeah. Elijah Wood. Erm. He did better as a hobbit.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

March 25, 2007
A decent horror flick. Not a great one, but definitely worth a rent.
Conner R

November 19, 2009
An interesting take on Invasion of the Body Snatchers from Robert Rodriquez. The Kevin Williamson dialogue wasn't too bizarre and actually fit pretty well. This also has a great cast. Josh Hartnett and Elijah Wood really went above and beyond the average teen performance. It's a great concept and Robert Rodriguez always makes extremely fun movies.
Anthony L

September 25, 2009
One of the better high-school horror/My-teacher-is-an-Alien films of recent years!
Jason O

August 15, 2009
I thought that "The Faculty" was a good movie. At times I thought it was a ripoff of a few movies, but after watching it awhile, it didn't turn out to be anything like them. It's about some aliens that take over most of the faculty and then try to take the students along with them. Once somebody gets affected by one of the aliens, they don't seem like themselves. They will try anything they can to get another person near them in order to make them an alien. Zeke and the crew must find the queen of the aliens and stab her with some mashed up caffeine tablets in order to destroy her and to make everybody who has become an alien change back to being themselves.
I like "The Faculty" better than the "Scream" movies. Some of the critics say that "The Faculty" was predictable, but myself I thought the "Scream" movies were a lot more predictable than this movie. It also has something else the "Scream" series didn't: great special effects. I recommend "The Faculty" to anybody who likes good horror movies. Wait until you find out who the queen of the aliens is. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. I do like this movie better than the Scream films, which I've always found overrated.
Rachel F

October 14, 2008
Good movie. Unique storyline and it has Elijah Wood, so that helps a bit.
garyX
garyX

November 20, 2006
Elijah Wood and the usual collection of high school stereotypes begin to suspect that the school is being taken over by aliens. Invasion of the Body Snatchers meets Buffy in one of Robert Rodriguez's early Hollywood projects. Unfortunately he obviously had not made his mark on the establishment yet and lacked the confidence to make this film his own; as a result it comes across as a very generic teen horror movie. It's not quite funny enough to be a comedy, nor scary enough to be horror, so it falls a little between two stools. The young cast are all decent (apart from Josh Hartnett's BIZARRE hairstyle!) and Robert Patrick is very good at the ordinary guy with an underlying sense of menace. Fans of Buffy will enjoy it as it's basically just like a feature length episode of the series; not one of Rodriguez's best but still solid entertainment.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

January 20, 2008
I really didn't expect this movie is an alien invasion theme movie just like 'Invasion Of The Body Snatchers', but it's pretty nice... And I really shocked when knowing the cast, they can have Josh Hartnett, Elijah Wood, and Salma Hayek... The story itself just too close to the teenagers life so I think the adults not really enjoying it, but I enjoyed it... This movie really thrills me, just like what I got when I watched 'The Invasion'... Nice teens alien movie, it's pretty thrills me and the story itself pretty shocked me...
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

September 28, 2007
Even cheesy sci/fi camp fests need some functional level of skill to be made. something Rodriguez quite clear doesn't have.

Also, John Carpenter should had sued Rodriguez for ripping off not one but two scenes from The Thing. Like his buddy Tarantino, Rodriguez confuses "hackiness" with "homage".
Tim S

July 30, 2007
The last movie Rodriguez did on film.