Tom Hanks Drops Out of Darabont's Fahrenheit 451

Director in search of new Guy Montag.

Frank Darabont's long-gestating adaptation of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 is in need of a new leading man.

Darabont tells MTV Movies that Tom Hanks, who had been attached to the lead role for roughly a year, has exited the project:

Mr. Hanks sadly and regretfully had to back out. I was really looking forward to working with him again, but his other commitments just precluded it. He had to take a step back.

But even without Hanks on board, Darabont's enthusiasm for Bradbury's tale of an America in which books (and all critical thought, really) have been banned remains undimmed. He's still going full steam ahead:

I see this movie so clearly in my head. It's flowing in my veins...It's one of the greatest books ever written. It's got all that great political stuff underneath the skin of it but really what it is is a great galloping tale.

So who's Darabont looking at to step in for Hanks? He doesn't name any names, but he does tell MTV that he's looking at "a short list of people."

Source: MTV Movies

Comments

Kollikodon

Ryan Ohlemeier

hmm...

oh S***... what about Steve Buscemi?

Mar 31 - 06:15 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

I would LOVE to see Buscemi in the lead for this (Irony: started career with Fire Department), but he is not NEARLY charismatic enough as a leading man. ..And, god help me, the boy is FUGLY.

Mar 31 - 06:52 AM

Tobey, Boi

Jack Blumenthal

Steve Buscemi would make a great Montag (or however you spell it, it's been a while), but he's too scrawny to play a "fireman" i think. Ed Nortons a good choice too. But I hope to Allah that they get Mickey Rourke.

Apr 4 - 11:18 AM

Tobey, Boi

Jack Blumenthal

Apr 4 - 11:19 AM

sparky565

G S

Ok, I know this seems stupid because he already plays a fireman but at the same time that helps. I thought of this long before he had this role anyway. How about Dennis Leary? I think he has the charisma and the acting ability plus he has the look and looks good as a fireman. I personally think he could pull it off better than most of the people mentioned. They just don't "fit" the role. It is a role that the look and feel as well as the acting is all very important. I think Dennis Leary fits the role perfectly.

Aug 17 - 10:05 PM

donwillymo

Will Padin

So what who needs this Tom Hanks character, what has he ever done!? Sounds like a c-list actor with that name Tom Hanks. I don't think this Hanks person will make it in Hollywood! Take it from me you heard it here first.

Mar 31 - 06:49 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

Mar 31 - 06:52 AM

donwillymo

Will Padin

Yeah, "Mr. leading role" sounds like "Mr. *****". Tell you what, let me be Mr. supporting role. That sounds good to me. I'm Mr. supporting role.

Mar 31 - 07:28 AM

bwozar

Bernard Ozarowski

My gut tells me that Josh Brolin might end up in this role.

I'd prefer to see Edward Norton in it though...

Mar 31 - 07:35 AM

Shatter24

Jeremiah Rancourt

How about Bruce Willis, in one of his world weary rather than kick butt roles? Or, Matt Damon could be interesting, if we're looking for an intellectual type.

Mar 31 - 08:22 AM

spitting into the wind

ciaran kelly

Christian Bale would be fantastic for the part.
Of course if he could tempt Daniel Day-lewis to immerse himself in the role eveyone would be a winner!!!!

Mar 31 - 08:37 AM

donwillymo

Will Padin

Let me be the first to say it cause you know like a hundred other people will...Christian Bale. I got it, Christian Bale will star in every leading role in every movie.

Mar 31 - 08:48 AM

donwillymo

Will Padin

oh forget it spittingintothewind beat me to it. proves my point even more.

Mar 31 - 08:49 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Darabont is great, I love SHAW SHANK REDEMPTION, THE GREEN MILE, and THE MIST was really good. Sounds like or a cool movie, I wish HANKS was still in it. Maybe JOSH BROLIN, EDWARD NORTON, or perhaps THOMAS JANE. Though I would rather see JOSH BROLIN in it.

Mar 31 - 08:52 AM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

he's looking at "a short list of people."

How about a "list of short people!"

Danny Devito. . . They could have cool chase scenes where he runs over the flamethrower's legs.

I also hope they mention that it is only perfectly O.K. to burn books that you don't agree with when you haven't read them.

Mar 31 - 10:02 AM

Vortex&Vertigo

Joel Feliciano

I don't like to be a skeptic, but this remake has been trying to see the light of day for ages. Ever since Mel Gibson was trying to do it some 15 years back. I don't know how much money has been waisted all these years but wow, they sure have waisted a lot of time.

Mar 31 - 10:03 AM

digitalrelic

Jason Stieber

Meh, Christian Bale was already in Equilibrium which was pretty much a Fahrenheit 451 rip off anyway.

I think Ewan McGregor would make a fantastic Guy Montag.

Mar 31 - 10:06 AM

digitalrelic

Jason Stieber

Edward Norton or Clive Owen would be great as well.

Mar 31 - 10:14 AM

donwillymo

Will Padin

Guy Pierce

Mar 31 - 10:25 AM

donwillymo

Will Padin

...sorry just saw 'The Proposition' again, f'ckin awsome

Mar 31 - 10:26 AM

KISSman

Tommy D

Argh! Well, this was a big loss. I was looking forward to this film and Hanks had something to do with that. I hope they can pull in another great lead actor to fill the role.

Mar 31 - 11:07 AM

High School With Money

LEEEROOOOOAAAAHHHH MMMYYAAAANKEEEUUUNNNNSSSS

Ralph or Joseph Fiennes.

Mar 31 - 11:16 AM

tempest3991

Nick Sansone

It'd be hard to make this movie any better than V for Vendetta or Equilibrium. Those two movies are excellent....

Somehow i think seeing this movie would remind me of those at every turn :(

Mar 31 - 11:19 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Edward Norton gets my vote.

Mar 31 - 11:21 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup