Failure to Launch Reviews

½ January 4, 2008
Yeah, it's not the best, and Matthew McConaughey looks damn rough for "35", but sometimes a rom com is just the thing, and this is a cute idea and fairly inoffensive. Zooey Deschanel as well in a small role.
½ July 18, 2007
By the numbers romcom nearly completely stolen by ZD as the quirky nutjob support girlfriend. The best thing seen with SJP though, by far.
September 4, 2007
It gets three stars purely for Zooey Deschanel and that bloody bird! Deschanel is quirky and funny in this Funnyish movie!
½ December 17, 2011
Failure to Launch is yet another romantic comedy that relies far too much on the usual clichés you'd expect from the countless romantic comedies out there. Everything you'd expect from a romantic comedy is present, and that's not a good thing. Failure to Launch is a mess from start to finish. There are a few mildly funny parts, but the film has so many things wrong with it, that it overshadows the promising elements for this film. The film wasn't my cup of tea, and overall it was a poorly constructed film. Matthew McConaughey I find him to be very misplaced in these types of films, he just ruins his career with films like this. This film was awful, bland, and unimpressive. The Writing limitations show on-screen. The film really ends up being a silly affair after a while, and it becomes pretty annoying. This film had the potential in being a good film; instead director Tom Dey crafts a film that misses the mark in every respect. The lead actors are terrible here, and I don't recommend this film. If you're looking for a good comedy film, you won't find it with Failure to Launch. This is a complete misfire of a film, a film that could have been good, but suffers from a bad director and bad script. With that in mind, you can expect something very bad with this film. Failure to Launch is just like every other rom-coms, clichéd, predictable, silly and most of all, an unfunny, strained film that will bore the viewer.
January 27, 2008
Great movie. Somehow Matthew McConaughey always seems to play the weird put funny parts. "Your naked" "this is my naked room". Terry Bradshaw was also hillarious in his naked room scene. Just a great movie! Sarah Jessica Parker & the rest of the cast were amazing too and who could forget about the mocking bird that drove Kit crazy :) :) :)
June 23, 2011
The best film I've seen Sarah Jessica Parker in apart from 'Footloose.' Quite funny and the plot of the film was well written.
½ December 13, 2010
Ah the ending... always the same. I don't really like Sarah Jessica. I liked Zooey's character. Something I'd want to be most of the time.

p.s: naked room? seriously?
July 27, 2006
Now that's my kind of girl! I like the rule part of Sarah Jessica Parker's job here, made it a little more interesting as a Rom-Com, in other ways it was very much typical of the genre, but it was entertaining and enjoyable
½ April 1, 2010
Don't really like MM nor SJP, decent supporting cast which helps the movie from tanking, except for that Zooey woman, worse than a BB to the sack, maybe not that bad. Terry Bradshaw acts? Yep, he's porkin' Kathy Bates, what a intro to the film bidness!
March 29, 2009
Hollywood just keeps pumping out these really awful romantic comedies, don't they?
½ February 11, 2009
Surprisingly, this film isn't that bad for a chick flick. If you're forced to watch something with your girlfriend, this isn't too bad.

Matthew McConaughey is fairly stereotypical McConaughey here in these roles (I prefer him in more serious roles like Two for the Money). Oddly enough I didn't think Sarah Jessica Parker was THAT annoying here. But this film's saving grace was Zooey Deschanel. Absolutely stunning and vibrant with a fantastic, quick-witted sense of humor. Without her, this crapfest stinks. She steals the show....

Failure to Launch has a wickedly ludicrous plot, and a serious lack of chemistry between the two leads. But it relies on its charm and sense of humor, and mildly succeeds in entertaining.

Major points for the paintball scene as well.

Not bad... don't go out of your way. But it's better than some of the other fluff out there.
July 6, 2007
Tripp (Matthew McConaughey) has never left home. He only brings girls back to meet his parents when he wants to get dumped. His parents hire a girl (SJP) to get him to fall in love and move out. Matthew is very funny in this movie.
February 2, 2007
I seriously bust out laughing at the part where he says "Dude, there's something wrong with your mom..."

If you liked Riley in National Treasure, Justin Bartha steals a few scenes in this one....

If you like "How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days", I'm pretty sure you're guaranteed to like this.
½ August 9, 2006
It was cute and worth another viewing.
½ October 8, 2007
I enjoyed this movie. Reminds me of Hitch, except the other way around. Sarah Jessica Parker is hired to convince Matthew McConaughey to leave his parents' nest. You figure out how it ends.
August 22, 2007
Comedy / Chick-Flick put together, with an actual meaning behind it as well. Not to many movies that do both, well, but this movie did it.
May 20, 2007
This was a good movie. I watched on a really long plane ride and it made it tolerable. Plus it has Matthew McConaughey.
January 1, 2007
Failure to Launch stumbles its way to a happy ending without generating either much romance or comedy.
September 10, 2006
Liked the character of Sarah's flatmate who wanna kill a mockingbird that drives her crazy.
½ May 23, 2006
Fresh. Enjoyable. Funny. Laughtout. One of Comedy of the year!!!