The Family Stone Reviews

thmtsang
½ June 24, 2007
Everett brings his uptight girlfriend Meredith (SJP) home to meet his family at Christmas with disastrous consequences. From the trailer this looks like a funny Christmas movie, but this is not a funny movie. The ending made me sad. Good cast.
April 26, 2012
The cast give it their best shot, but they can't save this film from a script full of contrived drama and jarring tone inconsistencies. When the film is trying to be dramatic, it feels like a Lifetime channel movie. The relationships are unbelievable and the family comes across as unpleasant and mean. When the film is trying to be funny, it is humorless slapstick that is usually placed after "serious" moments. The movie is also very blandly directed and the cinematography is TV movie quality. Their is some good acting and a few little laughs but the film does not work as a whole. This movie is not a "feel-good" romantic comedy, it is a "feel-bad" TV movie that somehow missed the Lifetime channel.
jamers2011
November 27, 2010
Completely underrated! Great film!
jjnxn
March 26, 2007
A cast full of talented people but the characters are so unpleasant why would you want to spend a hour with them.
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
Heartwarming. Everyone in this film was exceptional. The acting was outstanding and the story was cleverly and beautifully written. You don't except the ending and Sarah Jessica Parker really did have a good role in this film. A must see!
BEACHBUNNI
October 15, 2007
It's Christmas, and the Stone family is welcoming back all its siblings for the holidays,Its supposed to be the season of good will, but theres not much of it going round in The Family Stone. Diane Keaton plays the head of the clan and leads the assault on Sarah Jessica Parker as the uptight New Yorker who threatens to marry her son (Dermot Mulroney).the entire family instantly dislikes Meredith - except for Ben, who clearly digs her,well various tensions emerge that include Sybils refusal to let Everett propose to Meredith with his grandmothers ring and a distraught Meredith brings in her sister Julie (Claire Danes) for support, and that causes more problems when Everett falls for her.
3niR
September 13, 2010
It started out neat and ended up being messy. That's what I felt about this movie. Did I liked it? Kinda. But not entirely impressed.
November 21, 2007
Probably not exactly what you would expect when you sit down to watch a Christmas movie. (Meaning generally they are feel good fluff or kidsy!). This deals with a few issues such as illness (without giving too much away), and mainly centres on Sarah Jessica Parker's character, Meredith, who is meeting her boyfriend's family for the first time, (most of whom are really stuck up and full of themselves). Admittedly, she is socially awkward and puts her foot in it a few times, but I still found her sympathetic and the Stone family, with the exception of Luke Wilson as Ben, pretty damn horrible.
Great cast including Claire Danes and Rachel McAdams. Though it is not rated all that well, I actually like this one. It does get a bit silly at the end and sentimental, but that is typical of a Christmas film, and I did like how things turned out for Meredith. The thing I liked about this was that it had a bit of depth to the story and something we don't normally see in a film of it's type.
movieguru12
February 19, 2008
Funny at times but this is not one of my favorite movies.
The Gandiman
July 12, 2010
One of the worst rom-coms ever made.
½ February 15, 2010
I have seen much worse, but I was pretty boring and lacking of storytelling! A for sure skip for anyone!
TomBowler
½ August 1, 2009
a very touching story. sarah jessica parker proves that she is worth her weight in gold, playing the almost obsessive compulsive fiance. luke wilson is also brilliant, though it is diane keaton who holds the entire movie together.
November 24, 2008
A fine rainy-Saturday-afternoon movie. A little hard to see SJP play this type, but had plenty of enjoyable moments.
June 13, 2006
As the family is coming together for the Christmas holidays, the oldest son is bringing his girlfriend which is cause quite a lot of confrontations. While this situation cause a few more or less amusing scenes on the first half, the movie then falls into a whole in the middle part, getting unnecessarily sappy and losing most of the drive the good cast gathered in the beginning (except for Diane Keaton who is as annoying as always). With more and more characters acting not exactly understandable for the audience and partners switching somewhat randomly, causing constellations that just do not seem right which turns as quite a big problem for the ending of the film. With a little less political correctness and a little less drama this could have worked just fine, but as it is, the film is not all that much to write home about. Even when you are in the mood for a holiday movie.
February 13, 2007
Thomas Bezucha's 'The Family Stone' surprised me. I expected a catty WASPish family satire ? that, at least, was the impression given in most reviews. I liked this a great deal. The discomfort felt by Sarah Jessica Parker's uptight career girl as she spends Christmas with her partner's close-knit New England liberal family is used to good effect, but as much awkwardness is felt as a result of their jibes as by her tactlessness, so she's not marked out solely as a stooge. Dermot Mulroney, Rachel McAdams (the best thing in Wes Craven's 'Red Eye'), Luke Wilson (a much better actor than brother Owen) and Diane Keaton also give fine turns, and Craig T. Nelson - another much underrated character actor ? is perfectly cast Keaton's husband. It's occasionally sentimental, as certain family secrets are revealed, but never in a sickly manner, and works principally because it's that rare Hollywood beast, a genuinely well written ensemble piece. Good work Mr Bezucha. Worth a look.
½ September 18, 2007
I quite enjoyed this movie. Besides the hilarious interactions between Stone family members, there is a serious story going on. By the end of the movie (a year after the start of the movie), you are half weeping and half joyful.
nuheart
½ June 2, 2007
This movie sucked so much, it made my ears pop. Fuck you, movie!
aliyanto
½ April 16, 2007
Love could come in a way we couldn't think!
March 4, 2007
Overlooked gem.
March 29, 2006
A bit of a stretch, but this cast brings plenty to the table. Claire Danes and Sarah Jessica Parker, in particular, do great work as the "outsiders." This is really Parker's show. Nelson and Keaton make their marriage seem probable. You will possibly never see something that ties up this neatly in the real world, but, hey, this ain't the real world, it's movieland. Written well to avoid some cliché traps.