Family Weekend Reviews

February 16, 2015
heartwarming and funny. don't know why such low reviews. i love quirky characters.
February 1, 2015
Una idea interesante pero le falta más gracia. Algunas imagenes son realmente guapas.
½ October 28, 2014
Original, well acted and well constructed story, Family Weekend bring to us a movie that people who like dramas will enjoy with a not very good argument but with an organized screenplay.
October 15, 2014
Original, well acted and well constructed story, Family Weekend bring to us a movie that people who like dramas will enjoy with a good argument and an organized screenplay.
October 5, 2014
Seemed to be a family friendly type film but it was actually a little bit black. It was war of the roses for kids. I didnt seen Cheowith and Modine as a couple but other than that it was ok.
½ July 24, 2014
Empieza media monótona pero al final se medio compone. Historia para unir a la familia. Las realidades de hoy en día.
July 19, 2014
It's not like I had really high expectations, but this comes across like it was written by a 12-year-old. The plot is completely useless, the dialogue is terrible, and none of the actors have any chemistry whatsoever. I couldn't sit through the whole thing.
½ July 19, 2014
I thought this was a funny movie, it had alot of funny scenes, better than I thought it would be although it's a highly unlikely scenario. Worth watching if your in the mood for a family.
½ July 15, 2014
I really enjoyed this movie! Not something you see everyday, engaging and a little bit quirky. A nice change where I was not sure exactly what to expect.
June 14, 2014
watched it on on Netflix & thought it was GD amazing one of the best movies i've seen in awhile. held my attention all the way through.
Don't be put off cause it's that girl from HSM; let that intrigue you and watch the film it sure is worth it Joey King is crazy.
½ June 1, 2014
Elevator pitch for this was probably along the lines of "like The Breakfast Club, but with more better everything." Yeah, not quite.
April 18, 2014
Olesya rulin steals the show completely, both Kristin Chenoweth and Mathew Modine are both very convincing as a bad parents. Great cast, great movie.
March 31, 2014
Wacky and fun, Family Weekend is an entertaining comedy with a bit of a dark edge. In a desperate attempt to save her family a 16-year-old high school girl kidnaps her parents in order to get them to realize how dysfunctional and out-of-touch they've become. Olesya Rulin gives an excellent performance and brings a lot charisma to the film. Additionally, Kristin Chenoweth and Matthew Modine give strong supporting performances. And while it's not a straight dark comedy, the humor has a quirky tone that works very well. Delivering some good laughs, Family Weekend is an enjoyable screwball comedy.
½ February 17, 2013
It really can be a good movie, its just so damn awkward!
March 18, 2014
A couple twists short of a good comedy; this film seems like more of a TV prime time test spin for the cast and crew than a fully developed film. I say SKIP IT!!!
½ January 24, 2014
Pretty cheesy but enjoyable. You end having a good time !
December 18, 2013
"If a family doesn't stick together, sometimes you have to use a little tape."

Family Weekend is a small indie comedy that didn't receive much attention after its limited release and I can understand why. This isn't a good film and I shouldn't have liked it as much as I did, but to be honest I did laugh during several scenes and it had one of those feel good endings that leave you with a smile on your face. The real reason why I'm giving this film a passing grade is because I really enjoyed the lead performance from Olesya Rulin and the supporting role from the young Joey King who was hilarious. This is the fourth film I've seen her in this year (the others being The Conjuring, Oz: The Great and Powerful, and White House Down) and this was her best role by far. Family Weekend is worth watching even if it's for her performance alone because she was just hysterical. I was going to describe this as a family film, but after seeing that it got an R rating I can understand why because it does take some dark turns. At first I thought this was going to be some sort of remake of House Arrest, and despite borrowing a similar premise, screenwriter Matt Turner kind of gives it its own spin. I do have to say however that some of the characters in this film are extremely unlikable (especially the mother played Kristin Chenoweth) and almost took me out of the film. Director Benjamin Epps could have used a stronger script, but overall his film had its entertaining moments despite being unbalanced and a bit overlong. Family Weekend is a formulaic comedy that does take some unpredictable and dark turns at times, and I actually ended up enjoying this.

Emily (Olesya Rulin) is an uptight 16 year old girl who is passionate about jump-roping and after winning a competition at regionals she is disappointed that no one from her family shows up. When she gets home we meet them while she confronts each one for not going to cheer her. First there is her younger sister, Lucinda (Joey King), who is obsessed with acting and is currently playing the Jodie Foster role from Taxi Driver. Then there is her artistic father, Duncan (Matthew Modine), who is working on a painting and is so self absorbed by it that he had no idea that she was competing. Her brother, Jackson (Eddie Hassell) is also trying to become an artist like his father trying to find his way. Then there is her younger brother Mickey (Robbie Tucker) who is obsessed with animals and is always citing trivial things about them. Finally we are introduced to Emily's mother, Samantha (Kristin Chenoweth), who is an uptight businesswoman. Everyone seems so disconnected from each other and self absorbed, so Emily decides that an intervention needs to take place. She drugs her parents and ties them up in their home like hostages because she feels it's the only way she can get through to them. This is where the insanity ensues as she tries to fix her dysfunctional family.

Dealing with dysfunctional families has sort of become a trend in Hollywood and it isn't unfamiliar territory. We've seen some of these characters before in other films and the film does fall into generic cliches at times. Family Weekend still remains fresh thanks to the performances from the young cast, and it also happens to have some heart. The scenery in this film is gorgeous and the house where most of the story takes place also looks really good, so this is a pretty nice film to look at. It does feel unbalanced at times and the characters are hard to like, but overall we get through some of these unbalanced moments thanks to some comedic relief coming mostly from Joey King. Some of the familiar roles she plays in this film from highly acclaimed movies were the highlight for me. Rulin was also great in this film and I will be looking forward to what she does next. She truly was a freak queen here. The film does try to explore some deep issues during some dramatic turns although only scratching the surface and then continuing to return to the classic comedic elements. I had a good time although I admit I'm on the minority here and I fully understand why.
December 18, 2013
"If a family doesn't stick together, sometimes you have to use a little tape."

February 18, 2013
Ok, la película no es una maravilla, se le puede calificar como mero entretenimiento pasajero, tiene algunos problemas como la duración, restarle unos minutos no hubiera sido nada malo. Como dije, es una película entretenida dominguera.
½ November 26, 2013
Mas o menos comica y entretenida... no mas..