Family Weekend - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Family Weekend Reviews

March 31, 2014
Wacky and fun, Family Weekend is an entertaining comedy with a bit of a dark edge. In a desperate attempt to save her family a 16-year-old high school girl kidnaps her parents in order to get them to realize how dysfunctional and out-of-touch they've become. Olesya Rulin gives an excellent performance and brings a lot charisma to the film. Additionally, Kristin Chenoweth and Matthew Modine give strong supporting performances. And while it's not a straight dark comedy, the humor has a quirky tone that works very well. Delivering some good laughs, Family Weekend is an enjoyable screwball comedy.
½ February 17, 2013
It really can be a good movie, its just so damn awkward!
March 18, 2014
A couple twists short of a good comedy; this film seems like more of a TV prime time test spin for the cast and crew than a fully developed film. I say SKIP IT!!!
½ January 24, 2014
Pretty cheesy but enjoyable. You end having a good time !
May 23, 2013
Really Enjoyed This Movie
December 18, 2013
"If a family doesn't stick together, sometimes you have to use a little tape."

Family Weekend is a small indie comedy that didn't receive much attention after its limited release and I can understand why. This isn't a good film and I shouldn't have liked it as much as I did, but to be honest I did laugh during several scenes and it had one of those feel good endings that leave you with a smile on your face. The real reason why I'm giving this film a passing grade is because I really enjoyed the lead performance from Olesya Rulin and the supporting role from the young Joey King who was hilarious. This is the fourth film I've seen her in this year (the others being The Conjuring, Oz: The Great and Powerful, and White House Down) and this was her best role by far. Family Weekend is worth watching even if it's for her performance alone because she was just hysterical. I was going to describe this as a family film, but after seeing that it got an R rating I can understand why because it does take some dark turns. At first I thought this was going to be some sort of remake of House Arrest, and despite borrowing a similar premise, screenwriter Matt Turner kind of gives it its own spin. I do have to say however that some of the characters in this film are extremely unlikable (especially the mother played Kristin Chenoweth) and almost took me out of the film. Director Benjamin Epps could have used a stronger script, but overall his film had its entertaining moments despite being unbalanced and a bit overlong. Family Weekend is a formulaic comedy that does take some unpredictable and dark turns at times, and I actually ended up enjoying this.

Emily (Olesya Rulin) is an uptight 16 year old girl who is passionate about jump-roping and after winning a competition at regionals she is disappointed that no one from her family shows up. When she gets home we meet them while she confronts each one for not going to cheer her. First there is her younger sister, Lucinda (Joey King), who is obsessed with acting and is currently playing the Jodie Foster role from Taxi Driver. Then there is her artistic father, Duncan (Matthew Modine), who is working on a painting and is so self absorbed by it that he had no idea that she was competing. Her brother, Jackson (Eddie Hassell) is also trying to become an artist like his father trying to find his way. Then there is her younger brother Mickey (Robbie Tucker) who is obsessed with animals and is always citing trivial things about them. Finally we are introduced to Emily's mother, Samantha (Kristin Chenoweth), who is an uptight businesswoman. Everyone seems so disconnected from each other and self absorbed, so Emily decides that an intervention needs to take place. She drugs her parents and ties them up in their home like hostages because she feels it's the only way she can get through to them. This is where the insanity ensues as she tries to fix her dysfunctional family.

Dealing with dysfunctional families has sort of become a trend in Hollywood and it isn't unfamiliar territory. We've seen some of these characters before in other films and the film does fall into generic cliches at times. Family Weekend still remains fresh thanks to the performances from the young cast, and it also happens to have some heart. The scenery in this film is gorgeous and the house where most of the story takes place also looks really good, so this is a pretty nice film to look at. It does feel unbalanced at times and the characters are hard to like, but overall we get through some of these unbalanced moments thanks to some comedic relief coming mostly from Joey King. Some of the familiar roles she plays in this film from highly acclaimed movies were the highlight for me. Rulin was also great in this film and I will be looking forward to what she does next. She truly was a freak queen here. The film does try to explore some deep issues during some dramatic turns although only scratching the surface and then continuing to return to the classic comedic elements. I had a good time although I admit I'm on the minority here and I fully understand why.
December 18, 2013
"If a family doesn't stick together, sometimes you have to use a little tape."

February 18, 2013
Ok, la película no es una maravilla, se le puede calificar como mero entretenimiento pasajero, tiene algunos problemas como la duración, restarle unos minutos no hubiera sido nada malo. Como dije, es una película entretenida dominguera.
½ November 26, 2013
Mas o menos comica y entretenida... no mas..
October 13, 2013
Fun movie and the little sister is the best.
September 15, 2013
I cried the whole time watching this
½ September 7, 2013
Fun. Afternoon movie. Dont analyze. It just watch it. The characters are great and the actors do them justice in the quirky,crazy,spiraling out of control movie. The movie is a perfect laugh out loud, intentionally unconventional film. See it, but watch it for fun.
½ September 2, 2013
This movie reminded me a lot of House Arrest. Wasn't anything too special, just a random indie film my friend found on Netflix to kill time.
March 23, 2013
Family Weekend was not much of a comedy. It had its moments, but it wasn't enough to save the movie. I'm glad I saw this movie at home instead of driving and driving and driving and driving to New Orleans to see this flick. My grade: D
September 2, 2013
If you came from a functional family, you wont like this. However if the family dynamics in this film looks a little familiar you'll find yourself wishing you had done this.
½ August 23, 2013
A ridiculously dysfunctional family. The daughter, a super competitive jump roper, kidnaps her family. The family is a gay weird brother, a younger brother who remembers every conversation ever had, an uptight money hungry cheating mother, and a failed artist father.

I remember a movie awhile back where a group of kids kidnap all their parents and make them spend time reflecting. This was a lot like this. Very good, though.
April 2, 2013
fresh, original, witty and entertaining from start to finish! It's not often a movie can capture so many different elements (comedic and heartfelt) - it will appeal to a wide audience
½ August 4, 2013
Usually movies like this are enjoyable for the comedic pleasure but lose me during the serious moments. This movie actually kept me watching. An enjoyable and moderately realistic movie to watch.
August 1, 2013
Was a great movie for the whole family. Today family is not so important and we don't realize all the amazing things we are missing out when work is all we think about. Once in awhile toss everything aside and have family time for you cannot get that time back once it is too late.
July 30, 2013
For once I disagree with the majority of the critic reviews. The second she started crying...In all my life I haven't seen crying that real in a movie. May not be the best script. But It had that great film festival realization feel and the acting was much better than expected. Cry during a comedy? I fell in love with her at that moment because i'm a kid I guess. It meant a lot to me.