Fanboys - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fanboys Reviews

May 16, 2009
This comedy combines two things I love into one heavenly mix. One being road trip movies, and the other a certain space opera by the incomprehensible George Lucas. And if there's one thing I can't enough of (whether it be for tribute, satire or a little bit of both), it's Star Wars-inspired stories. This one in particular lands on the qualitative end of the spectrum, and was an enjoyable watch throughout. Even more so as it includes some fun cameos by actors such as Kevin Smith, William Shatner, Carrie Fisher, Seth Rogen and the legendary Billy Dee Williams. Not to be missed if you're a Star Wars fan!
December 26, 2011
Hutch: Nobody calls Han Solo a bitch!

"Real fans don't wait in line."

Fanboys is a decent comedy at best, but I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun. I'm not what you would call a fanboy by any stretch. I've seen and love the original trilogy, but a lot of the references were lost on me, as I haven't seen them a hundred times or studied the characters. Still, there is enough there so the casual Star Wars fan isn't left out in the cold. The film isn't overly hilarious, but funny enough for the short runtime.

Four friends plan to go to Skywalker Ranch to watch Episode 1 months before it comes out. The reason is simple, Linus has cancer and probably won't be around when the film hits theaters. So the movie is a road trip adventure, where normal road comedy stuff happens. The friends have a run in with the law, try to get laid(backfires), and ultimately have to make decisions on whether to go on with the trip. I've  seen people compare this to Detroit Rock City and I can't think of a better way to describe it. Substitute Kiss, add Star Wars and a dying kid and you got Fanboys. Hey, you can even keep Sam Huntington.

The cast is what makes the movie special. Sam Huntington, Dan Fogler and Chris Marquette are all fun to watch. I am not a huge Jay Baruchel fan, as I find him really annoying, but he never ruins a movie. Then there's the cute Kristen Bell, as a friend of the four friends and a fellow Starwoid. There's an awesome supporting cast that makes brief appearances, like Seth Rogen, Danny McBride, and William Shatner.

It is a fun and easy to enjoy film that actually turns out to be rather touching; albeit in a nerdy way. Go into it expecting nothing but a typical, average comedy and you should be able to enjoy it. Maybe people should have done that with Episode 1.
November 20, 2011
This should have been a lot better than it was. A few good gags, and a fun premise, but it turns out lazy and formulaic, never scratching below the surface. Formula spoofs work if you're winking, but this movie takes itself and its characters too seriously to succeed in being funny. Complete commitment to going over the top was required, but only Dan Fogler got there. By the time it reached its climax, I was barely watching, bored stupid with the whole enterprise. Fun cameos, and a good last line, though you could see it coming the whole way. Too bad.
½ February 6, 2010
Real fans don't wait in line.

It's an ok raunchy movie good for just a few laughs. "Fanboys" is a movie about, well, fanboys. Story was weak although it entertain me. Watch if your a fan of one of the actors in it or if your a star wars fan.

On Halloween night, 1998, Eric Bottler (Sam Huntington) reunites with his old high school buddies Linus (Christopher Marquette), Hutch (Dan Fogler), Windows (Jay Baruchel), and Zoe (Kristen Bell) at a costume party. There is tension between Bottler and his old friends, due to Bottler being the only one that matured since high school. Bottler, now a successful car salesman, finds that his friends haven't changed a bit since high school; the number one thing they still have in common is their love of Star Wars. The gang expresses their anticipation for the latest installment to the franchise, Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. Linus proposes an idea that Bottler and he had been plotting since they were children: to infiltrate Skywalker Ranch and steal a rough cut of the film. The next day, Hutch and Windows meet Bottler at work and inform him that Linus has cancer. The doctors estimate that he only has roughly four months to live; Episode I comes out in six. To make peace with his former best friend, Bottler decides to go through with their plan and infiltrate Skywalker Ranch. While on the road, Hutch decides to take a detour to Riverside, Iowa (the future birthplace of Captain James T. Kirk) in an attempt to start a fight with some Trekkies. Hutch gets his wish after attacking a Trekkie by the name of Admiral Seasholtz (Seth Rogen) in retaliation to Seasholtz calling Han Solo a bitch. After arriving in Texas, the group encounters Harry Knowles (Ethan Suplee). After explaining their situation Harry gives them information on one of his contacts that knows how to successfully enter Skywalker Ranch. They are told to meet Harry's contact in Las Vegas, but before they get there they are arrested for fleeing a police vehicle. Zoe arrives to bail them out of jail, and accompanies them on their journey. Once in Vegas, Hutch and Windows make an attempt to have sex with some girls while Bottler and Linus go to meet Harry's contact. They are shocked to find that his contact is none other than William Shatner. Shatner gives them the information they need and leaves. Upon his departure, Seasholtz and his Trekkie friends, who were attending a Star Trek convention in Vegas, attack them. Meanwhile, Hutch and Windows discover that the girls they were with are prostitutes and their angry pimp (Seth Rogen) wants them to pay up. The group escapes their adversaries and eventually arrive at Skywalker Ranch. Shortly after breaking in to the Ranch, they are discovered by security guards and are caught after a brief chase. The Head of Security (Danny R. McBride) tells them of their impending doom when he receives a phone call from George Lucas himself. Lucas tells him that he will drop all charges if they can prove to him that they are "fanboys." After a short quiz, the Head of Security confirms that they are fanboys and Lucas drops all charges. Being aware of Linus's illness, Lucas allows him to watch the film alone. After the film ends, Linus joins his friends around a campfire and mends his friendship with Bottler. Six months later, Bottler, Windows, and Zoe emerge from their tent they used to camp out in while waiting in line for the first showing of Episode I. It is revealed that Bottler followed his and Linus's dream by becoming a comic book artist, Hutch has finally started his own detailing business, and Windows and Zoe are now in a relationship. Hutch arrives at the theater with beers he smuggled in, which they use to toast to Linus's memory. Just as the movie starts, Bottler asks his friends, "Hey you guys, what if the movie sucks?"
½ July 4, 2010
It is the fall of 1998, six months away from the release of Star Wars Episode I. A group of die hard Star Wars fanboys decide to go on an epic road trip from Ohio to California. Their mission? Well, one of them is terminally ill, and knows he likely won't live to see the film whe nit's officially released, so the plan is to break into George Lucas's office to stea land watch an advanced rough cut.

Conceptually, this is a pretty cool idea for a movie. Overall this is not only a love letter to Star Wars fandom, but to general nerdy fandom period. There's all kinds of in jokes, deep cut references ,and some killer cameos (some better than others). One of my favorite little touches is how Jay Baruchel's character's appearance is modeled after that of how George Lucas looked in the 70s. IEven though this came out first, I was reminded a lot of Paul, that other sci-fi comedy that's a total love letter to all things nerdy. I think that one is better, but this one also is not bad, and I can relate, namely being a Star Wars fan and a bit of e nerd myself. I'd probably liken myself to being a male version of the Kristen Bell character, though to a slightly lesser extent.

This is some funny stuff, and, while it was agreeable enough, I don't think it's really all that good. For one some of the cameos were just silly (KS and JM), and I don't think the material was all that well written. Plus, I think they should have REALLY gone all out with the tributes and references. Some of the casting (namely the bit and supporting parts) were inspired though. Also, I'm not gonna lie, I did get emotionally moved and was just on the verge of a tear or two.

This is an entertaining film, but it isn't really all that strong or remarkable. The performances are decent, and there's some good chemistry present, but I could have used some more and better development and writing. I should give it a half star less, but given my love for the subject matter, as well as the fact that this is not only a road movie, but one where the journey is more important than the destination, it's hard for me to really bring myself to do that.

So yeah, I do slightly recommend this, but this isn't for all people. I'd stay away if you're not into nerd culture, specifically Star Wars. If you see this as an outsider, you'll probably be bored and unmoved.
½ October 31, 2010
Another pop culture culmination, Fanboys centers on the Star Wars universe, but also includes Star Trek, James Bond, G.I. Joe, and various other extremes in fandom. The reason that Star Wars works better than any other form of nerdery, is the simple fact that these are the least complicated, most universal, and certainly best films of kickassery in these genres. I may be biased as a Star Wars aficionado and fangirl, but these films have a cult following that touches almost everyone who watches them. The story revolves around yet another buddy road trip, another dismal series of events, and laughable outcomes for the entourage of characters. I feel they could have been so much more ambitious with this film than simply stating random trivia and sporting Star Wars t-shirts to their foes, the Trekkies. Though the characters are interesting, none of them are very well developed. We have the bulky guy with very little in the way of a gag reflex, the lost youth, the two friends of opposite sexes who take forever to hook up, and the center of attention, who always ends the film with a revelation/epiphany about life's ambitions and the pursuit of happiness. *Raspberry*. That's all very touching, but I think we all want to see a savage head to head battle between two sects of nerds. Oh wait, this film also features that little gem. Yes, it's frivolous fun, but without the substance of involved characters, who wants to watch them, except the virgin in their basement listening to Rush?
May 9, 2011
For Star Wars fans, I recommend this. For everyone else: NO.
June 6, 2011
Do I have to love this movie because I am a Star Wars fan? I appreciate what's been done here, but I don't think it's all that funny.
February 10, 2009
This comedy about a couple of geeks who plan to break into George Lucas' Skywalker ranch to see Star Wars Episode 1 months before the start for their dying friend is a riot - although mostly for Star Wars fans. They will be the ones who get the tons of quotes, references, cameos and details. And who will cheer on the lovably geeky heroes when they take on Trekkies in several hilarious encounters. The cast consist of comedy newcomers (Seth Rogen in 3 roles, Kristen Bell) and genre veterans (Billy Dee Williams, Carrie Fisher, Ray Park, Kevin Smith and...erm...Will Shatner). The result is fast, the humor sometimes a little below the belt but always likable and the characters grow on you with every minute. And in the end it's even really touching. Extra bonus for refraining from any "Episode 1"-bashing. Certainly the movie the fandom has been waiting for. A love declaration to friendship, movies and geekiness. And the soundtrack is pretty awesome, too.
½ February 10, 2011
4 stars and a half...
½ January 24, 2011
I'm not big into star wars,so some of the jokes went over my head,but I still thought it was an ok comedy. If your into star wars,or star trek(mr. Ledermann!) Then you'll probaby like it.
½ September 21, 2010
Nobody should like anything as much as these guys like Star Wars.
½ June 24, 2010
Fanboys is a terrific comedy film for Star Wars fans. I love Star Wars and I thoroughly enjoyed this film. The film is similar to Detroit Rock City, but it's got a Star Wars twist to it instead of a Kiss vibe to it. I can understand why this film has gotten so many bad reviews, but what were you expecting? A film as great as The Hangover? come on. Well me on the other hand loved every moment of it, though there are some parts lacking in laughs, there are more than enough laughs to be had to enjoy this film. You will enjoy the film you like a simple minded comedy, but if you scrutinize everything wrong with this film; of course you'll hate the film. Fanboys is the type of comedy film that shouldn't be seen as the next Hangover. If you've got high expectations that this will be a non stop, laugh out loud comedy, then you'll be disappointed. But if your looking for a film with decent laughs, then this film is for you. It's better than most comedy films out there (Semi Pro, Land Of The Lost)
February 6, 2009
I am not exactly a fan of Star Wars (to say the least), so I'm sure some of it went over my head, but I'm enough of a geek to appreciate the gist of it. Not the greatest film ever, but fun and had some good cameos in it.
April 13, 2010
Fanboys celebrates a lifestyle that's rather self destructive. It encourages kids that it's okay to be completely obsessed with something because they can't live in the real world. There's nothing wrong with being a die hard fan of something like Star Wars, to know a lot about it, or even have debates among fellow fans about it, but it ends at a point. It doesn't go to the extent of these characters. They don't have jobs, they live in their parents' basements, and the one guy who decides to do something with his life is shunned by the rest of the group. And that's the problem with Fanboys. It celebrates social ineptitude. It's actually rather pathetic to see people camp outside a movie theatre for days, weeks, months on end because they don't have jobs, rent, or relationships to better devote their time.
The whole bit where one of the characters is dying of cancer is barely mentioned throughout the movie. It never comes into play at all throughout the plot. I'm pretty sure these guys would have tried to break into Skywalker Ranch if Linus was perfectly healthy.
January 25, 2010
I give this 4 stars only, because it's so ridiculously funny! Plot was made well, and has never been done before! It was one enjoyable ride!
½ November 6, 2009
This is a really fun, sweet movie. I don't usually like road trip movies much, but this one really appealed to me. I guess I have respect for Star Wars nerds (especially when they're up against Trekkies. *shudders* I have a phobia) and I myself speak in dorky film references, which endeared all these characters to me. The dialogue and visual gags all hit their marks, and the story, while simple, worked really really well. I love how the writers tiptoed around the fact that Phantom Menace was lousy while keeping their respect for the saga intact. I'd see this again. I really like it.
January 3, 2008
I believe this comedy road trip is for the fan of Star Wars and it has enough knowing warmth to entertain even the staunchest sci-fi cynic. Born of a genuine love of cinematic sci-fi, the finished film looks remarkably like a teen road movie. The titilating objective in films like The Sure Thing and Road Trip is simply replaced in Fanboys with seeing a pre-release copy of The Phantom Menace. The determination of four childhood friends to see a sci-fi movie might be foreign to some, but the journey of self-discovery through misadventure is unmistakable.
Dan Fogler is so hilarious as well as I like Kristen Bell the best in her performance.
Surprised appearances with Star Wars faves Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams and Ray Parks, as well as from the likes of Seth Rogen, Jaime King, Williams Shatner, Danny Trejo and Danny McBride.
November 18, 2009
I loved the story and the characters were all lovable. It's really funny to see other die had Star Wars fans on screen having the same arguments you've had. I liked the devotion to detail and the above average acting for a comedy.