Will Black Panther Appear in "Fantastic Four 3"?

Director Tim Story is apparently a big comic book geek, so when he got his hands on the "Fantastic Four" property, he immediately began running through all the supporting characters. And since we got Silver Surfer in Part 2...

...is there a chance we might see the hero known as Black Panther in Part 3? Could be, if Story has his way. Those with long memories might recall that Wesley Snipes wanted to do this movie for the longest time, but since he's off making moving in Bulgaria while dodging the tax man, it's safe to say he won't be near a big-budget Marvel franchise for a little while.

Anyway, here's what Mr. Story told the L.A. Times: "I've got to tell you, to get the Fantastic Four and turn it into a franchise, the first thing I thought was, 'Will I get the Silver Surfer'? Or someone like Black Panther, who was introduced in their book, get Djimon Hounsou and go do it?' But there are so many other great villains and stories - I feel like I hit the jackpot."

Can't fault the guy's casting choice. I'd probably lean more towards Chiwetel Ejiofor, but they'd both be great choices. "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer" opens on June 15th.

Source: IGN Movies, L.A. Times

Comments

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

I vote for Bobby Seale to play the Black Panther.

May 9 - 04:21 AM

mojodaddy

joe fish

No I think Djimon would be awesome. Black panther is an awesomely underrated character, and it would be cool to see him on the silver screen.

May 9 - 05:37 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I agree, Djimon is the perfect choice. Chiwetel Ejiofor I think is a bit too prissy and genteel to play a guy who's supposed to be part genius/ part tribal warrior shaman. I want to see them utilize Namor before the franchise fizzles. I always liked him better when he was a supporting player rather than in his own story.

May 9 - 07:13 AM

Sean H.

Sean Howell

Djimon Hounsou is the obvious choice for BP; however, I think he should appear in X4-- the obvious crossover between the X-Men and FF-- and then in F3. Imagine the eventual pairing between him and Storm.

Nov 17 - 04:52 PM

lpbreeze

First Last

The problem is they are assuming FF2 will make a lot of money. I'm not sure if it will because I don't know anyone who liked the first movie. It did well but so did Tomb Raider and Charlies Angels. But their sequels tanked.

May 9 - 06:40 AM

Modano

T H

I may be in the minority here but I actually liked the first Charlies Angels. Maybe my expectations were so low because I never saw the TV series. But I was so pissed at the second one I walked out of the theater during the dirtbike race. It was just too over the top.

May 9 - 07:05 AM

RexLaboro

george glass

The first Angels movie was good. I couldnt believe how bad the next one was. Hotness couldnt save it.

May 22 - 05:35 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

May 9 - 07:13 AM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

It kind of amuses me that they are already thinking of making another Fantastic Four movie. Not that I'll complain, they're fun enough popcorn movies. But it isn't like it was a MASSIVE hit or anything.

May 9 - 07:19 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Probably due to the fact that Marvel is producing their own movies now and for a lot of folks at Marvel there's a lot of sentimentality for FF. It was pretty much the title that saved their bacon oh so long ago.

May 9 - 07:25 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

May 9 - 07:25 AM

Now it's dark

Kirby K

Forrest Whitaker would be perfect as Black Panther.

May 9 - 07:57 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Emmm, No he wouldn't. I know Forest has lost a bit of weight, but he's never been what you would call cut and a pudgy guy in the Black Panther costume would just be ridiculous.

May 9 - 01:09 PM

Now it's dark

Kirby K

If he could get back down to what he was in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" he would rule in the part. Plus he already learned how to speak African! PLUS actors usally take on roles like this after winnng the oscar. Nailed.

May 11 - 11:28 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Loved him in Ghost Dog. Loved him in Last King of Scotland. But no, absolutely not. Forest Whitaker would have to do some SERIOUS working out to fit the role of Black Panther. I simply don't see it.

May 11 - 03:53 PM

Vitamin M

Matthew Haynes

Chiwetel Ejiofor! That was the bad ass villian in Serenity right? he's got my vote.
I can see the FF series being used quite well as a spring board to bring up and spin off other characters. Or at least a testing ground to see which ones may be able to handle their own film. which is a good use of the FF since the FF themselves are pretty darn boring. and maybe Tim Story would treat a black character with respect...instead of turning him into a joke as he's done with the FF.
(I was way too lazy to type out Fantastic Four apparently)

May 9 - 09:06 AM

Shatter24

Jeremiah Rancourt

[b]FF 3 - villains and supporting characters[/b]
Black Panther in the third film with Namor and the Mole Man. That would be awesome. Black Panther and the Wakandans fighting Mole Man and his creatures, while the FF have to go underwater to take out Namor and his warriors. A battle underland and underwater. Who you gonna call?

May 9 - 11:30 AM

JUDGE DREDD

idle one kenobi

Sounds like a crap character to have in a follow up to silver surfer! Sounds like they goin backwards for the third.

Be better off having Galactus or teaming up with captain america or spiderman in the third. Maybe Ben could fight the Hulk?

And whats with Ben costume, it sucks! Looks a dogs chewd up all the sponge inside my sofa. Not very rock like, crap small eyebrows and way too small, one rare occasion where id have prefered a cgi character.

May 9 - 11:42 AM

optimusprime79

Mike B

I think the same way as bat-fink. They are going in the wrong direction if they use someone lame like black panther. They are only made 130 mill in the states, thats crap, especially with 120 mill production budget. World wide gross there lucky if it gets 300mill. So they better plan on bringing in some cool superheroes or villians. This franchise will die of very soon, if there grossing numbers are the same next year its prob done with. They should do an x-men & fantastic four movie working together fighting against super villians. my opinion... all i have to say is Transformers worldwide gross so far 695 Million...can't wait for another one...

Sep 28 - 09:55 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

May 9 - 01:09 PM

Now it's dark

Kirby K

May 11 - 11:28 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

May 11 - 03:53 PM

Brad 3000

Brad Arnold

Bill Cosby as the Black Panther!

May 9 - 06:32 PM

PlanBFromOuterSpace

Rob Brown

[b]So, what's wrong with planning ahead?[/b]
As long as they have a decent story in mind, what's wrong with thinking ahead? That kind of thinking is a LOT better than walking in with no plan, having a successful film, and then going "Oh sh!t, what do we do now?" when faced with the possibility of a sequel, or in this case, the possibility of ANOTHER sequel. Whether there is a third or fourth or fifth FF film remains to be seen of course, but there's no harm in bouncing around ideas.

I always get a kick out of when people are surprised or can't understand when there's another sequel to a comic book movie. Yes, the talk of a possible Catwoman sequel was utterly ridiculous, and everyone knew that nothing would come of that, but in the case of something like the Fantasic Four or the Hulk, which caused mixed reactions on their way to really good box office hauls (I wish I could make movies that made 150 million bucks that "no one" liked), why do you get upset? It's not like you HAVE to see it or anything if you didn't like the first one, and if it DOES fail, it's no money out of your pocket, you know? Well, besides what you pay for your ticket maybe, but you're losin' THAT whether it does well or not.

May 9 - 06:57 PM

CannibalPenguins

Jaja Jaja

FF3?

LESS THAN $30 MILLION I TELL YOU!!

May 9 - 08:55 PM

eastern2western

peter liu

Are fantastic four the main attraction or the villains.

May 9 - 10:46 PM

blorenze

brian lorenzen

[b]Thank God they're considering a black hero[/b]
I know that they put out Blade, but they ran that series into the ground and barely tried with the third movie... I mean, Blade: Trinity's main point was to create momentum for a Ryan Reynolds, Jessica Biel spin-off.

It is kind of ridiculous how, beyond Snipes and Halle Berry, they don't put black characters into these comic book movies. I know that they are keeping with the source material, but I mean dammit, its racist. If it is a legitimately made comic book film then they'll get the fanboy dollar, and if it stars a viable black actor then they get a solid Black audience ... even from a business perspective it makes sense. Why hasn't it happened?

End White Dominance of Action-Film Stardom!!!!

May 10 - 01:33 PM

PlanBFromOuterSpace

Rob Brown

[b]Since when is 150 million a bomb?[/b]
"Didn't the first one bomb enough? FF2 will bomb earlier on, much earlier than FF did.

And FF3..They'll scrap it minutes after they see FF2's horrible opening weekend gross."

I don't even understand what that first part means. Are you saying that the movie started off well and then took a turn for the worse? If you're talking about money, it makes no sense.

Does anyone that makes these kinds of comments actually read anything on this site, or do they just b!tch about things without doing any sort of research or having any other reason besides "The first movie sucked! The sequel is going to suck so bad that I'm only going to go see it ONCE and I'll only buy the 2-disc Special Edition DVD and NOT the super duper version that comes out when FF3 rolls around! Grrrr!"

So, you didn't like the movie? That's fine. But please, if a movie that cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 million that made 150 million (in the U.S. alone, before DVD sales, merchandising, and so forth) is a bomb, then explain to us what movies AREN'T bombs and why, OK?

May 10 - 06:25 PM

mjolson20

Matthew Olson

[b]Wesley Snipes will be Black Panther[/b]
Wesley Snipes will be Black Panther

May 11 - 04:22 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Wesley Snipes is oversees hiding from the tax man, remember? No Black Panther for him. Which is fine though. He had Blade and did a fine job with the first two. Besides, if they're gonna be bringing out more black characters then it would be nice to see different actors playing them instead of all the roles going to one guy. Djimon Hounsou is the front runner, and probably a better choice for Black Panther considering his origin story.

May 11 - 04:43 AM

Anonymous_Nemesis

Kae LaFond

As much as I hate to see it that way, you're right. Wesley's no hope. And he already did do a black superhero role. So to add someone new to the genre, it would be pretty effective. I think they should find someone outta nowhere that's not a celebrity, give him some acting lessons, and put him on the map. You may recall Superman Returns doin' so wit' who played Supes. Brandon. They found him in a bar--he was a bartender. I think they should do the same. OI don't see nobody fittin' Panther enough. But I'm kinda bleek and relatively picky, so I dunno...

May 24 - 07:19 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

May 11 - 04:43 AM

Anonymous_Nemesis

Kae LaFond

May 24 - 07:19 AM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast