Box Office Guru Wrapup: "Fantastic Four" Clobbers Box Office Foes

Summary

Fox scored its first number one hit in five months with "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer" which grossed an estimated $57.4M on its opening weekend, tripling its nearest competitor's sales. Back to Article

Comments

SplendidIsolation

Rick King

DOA looks like it could be the suprise hit of the summer.

Jun 17 - 07:06 PM

bookworm1994

Dillon James

Too bad about Nancy Drew. That looked moderately entertaining.

Jun 17 - 07:11 PM

wakko54321

dan ludwig

you thought nancy drew looked entertaining? what are you, a 9 year old girl?

Jun 17 - 08:43 PM

bookworm1994

Dillon James

No, in fact I'm a 13 year old boy who doesn't think a film needs to include an excessive amount of sex, violence, language and drug use to be moderately entertaining. It's too bad your poor, mislead thoughts are telling you the opposite. Now go be monosyllabic to yourself.

Jun 18 - 10:44 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

I'm constantly amazed that some of the smartest, most mature people on these forums are teenagers. People like you and Batspideykong give me hope for the future. (And I'm being serious)

Jun 18 - 11:12 AM

bookworm1994

Dillon James

Thank you, you're too kind. I'm used to people swearing at me and dismissing anything I say because I'm 13. At least someone actually LOOKS at the argument.

Jun 18 - 11:19 AM

wakko54321

dan ludwig

you thought nancy drew looked entertaining? what are you, a 9 year old girl?

Jun 17 - 08:43 PM

bookworm1994

Dillon James

Jun 18 - 10:44 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Jun 18 - 11:12 AM

bookworm1994

Dillon James

Jun 18 - 11:19 AM

JMA

Justin Adams

I wonder how FF will do next week.

Jun 17 - 09:02 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I think it will do well and surpass the original since it's a much stronger film and has already overcome the bad taste left over from the original. I'd say probably a standard 50-55% drop off.

Jun 18 - 12:18 AM

kendrith1975

Ken Tsoi

[b]now boxofficeguru is indeed really wanting OCEAN 1[/b]
While it is good that boxofficeguru is acknowledging the fact 13 only dropped by 47% on its 2nd weekend, he is still insisting that the movie will eventually gross less than OCEAN's 12. Now if 13 may gross more than 12, will he come up with the comment that after ticket price inflation, admissions still lower than 12?

The fact is OCEAN 13 is more well-received than 12, and it shows with the better than expected sophomore hold. I think it is time for boxofficeguru to acknowledge that there are a lot of obstacles working against OCEAN 13 to do well, and the fact 13 is doing quite good on its own merits, and may even stand a chance to eclipse 12's total grosses if the dropoffs continue to stabilize for the weeks coming.

Jun 17 - 10:14 PM

highdough

Richard Blascock

Okay, I'll ask. What on earth are you talking about???

Jun 17 - 10:40 PM

fynejackie

malissa johnson

The guy who wrote this article is just a ocean's 13 hater, because the movie is good and its box office is good- but the idiot is still talking negative about the movie.

Jun 18 - 07:51 PM

villain78

Enrico Banson

I think it's a good indication that more mature fare like Ocean's 13 and Knocked Up are steadily holding strong. (I personally think those two are the best movies of the summer so far) It's the same box office effect that Devil Wears Prada had last year. These films marketed towards older crowds often do well in the long run compared to a lot of the CGI-driven summer blockbusters. I think O13 will equal its predecessors. Who cares what the box office people say? Those are strong numbers especially based on per screen average.That's very good. Also, both O13 and Knocked Up are recieving strong word of mouth.

Jun 17 - 11:46 PM

zooman

Alex Reyes

[b]he might be right in that O13 will make less[/b]
maybe he doesnt expect for oceans 13 to do as well as the second one because that's what has been going on with the third parts so far. Now, Ocean's might be the strongest third part of the summer yet, but it is probably the least anticipated and many who have seen the other two might not be expecting much new from this one. Still, I think the main reason the guru says that is that given the very tough competition, it has been proved hard for all of these movies to make that much this summer. This summer is not only gonna have big competition with huge budgeted films, but also with smaller more mature films like Once, Mighty heart, Waitress, away from her, you kill me, sicko (smartly manipulative at least, but smart). I personally rather see most of these films than oceans 13 in theaters, and while most of the people won't, they still are competition...

So, I think the guru is right. A lot of the people who really wanted to see oceans 13 are likely to have seen it already, and it faces very very tough competition from both the overly commercial, and the more artistic, or at least intellectual, side.

I was hoping Oceans would have at least done better than fantastic four, but people dont seem to have learned from the first one. I guess fantastic four is helped enormously by the fact that it is rated pg, while still is an action super hero movie with characters that many generations hold fondly..

Jun 18 - 07:22 PM

kendrith1975

Ken Tsoi

[b]OCEAN 13's dropoff may stabilize sooner than thoug[/b]
Thanks for your response. Most updated tally of weekend grosses shows that s 13 only dropped 45%, which is even better than the original estimated 47%, which in turn was already much better than Boxofficeguru's forecasted 55% drop. I like to point out that most are counting on the fact that OCEAN 13 is released in the Summer, and it is not really teen/young adults oriented, and so it will suffer compare to 11 and 12's which has Christmas holidays to boost business. But little that boxofficeguru knows, 13 is more crowd-pleasing than 12, and the mid-week grosses were not too bad.

If 13's 2nd weekend dropoff already stabilized at 45% despite tough competition, it only means there are good word of mouth preventing the huge fall that everybody is anticipating, and that subsequent weekend dropoffs will continue to impress. I am very looking forward to a 3rd weekend dropoff of less than 40%, and that it needs about 55 million more to eclipse Ocean 12.

Now I am sincerely hoping for Ocean 13 to outperform 12, which is not much of a brag, but at least shows that not all 3quels/sequels disappoint, and that each movie tracked differently. For them to dismiss Ocean 13 like that, it leaves a very sour taste (and consipracy that they want OCEAN 13 to fail). But perhaps as you said, 13 is least anticipated among the sequels, so the boxoffice watchers aren't paying attention to its performance at all, thus decide to jump on the bandwagon of dissing all 3quels so that they can forget about it right away. I especially find it offensive that boxofficeguru commented on his forecast that 'nobody is loving the picture (13)' and so he just forecast a 55% drop, probably because that is about what 'unliked' sequels normally do, just like that!

I am basically not impressed with industry watchers quickly jumping on the bandwagon of dismissing any Hollywood product without more detailed analysis.

Now what if OCEAN 13 still gross less than the 11 and 12 in the end? For sure the box office retention is not going to be shabby. If the filmmakers are making 13 despite the disappointment that is 12, and 13 only manages to slightly underperform, that means chances of 14 being made will be high, which is ultimately what we fans care. Now I want boxofficeguru to acknowledge that despite all the negative things he wrote, he better make a fair comment that the OCEAN franchise is still alive and kicking!

As for other more mature films, I agree that there are a lot of choices out there, but to be honest, there are no breakouts yet. WAITRESS is supposed to be this year's LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE, or even IL POSTINO for that matter, but its grosses has stalled and may not make north of 20 million. Yet nobody would want to hurt this movie, and I admire boxofficeguru labelling this as a hit movie already.

Jun 18 - 09:55 PM

highdough

Richard Blascock

Okay, I'll ask. What on earth are you talking about???

Jun 17 - 10:40 PM

fynejackie

malissa johnson

Jun 18 - 07:51 PM

villain78

Enrico Banson

Jun 17 - 11:46 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jun 18 - 12:18 AM

Mr. Boffo

J G

[b]FANTASTIC BORE[/b]
Just saw RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER and I was not impressed. I used to read the comic and this left me disappointed. It was decent except for the final act. It seemed rushed at the end like they had to keep it to 90 mins or something. They should have added an hour and revealed more about Galactus. The movie just seems like a set-up for the next one where they'll probably face-off against Galactus etc.

It might be a GREAT idea to get Tim Story off this franchise before he tanks it. Lots of potential with this movie...none of it was explored.

Jun 18 - 12:59 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Really? I thought it nailed the feel of the comic. Johnny and Ben were raggin on each other while actually being best friends. Reed was super smart and nerdy, but commanding when he needed to be. Sue was simultaneously strong and a bit of a mental mess. Doom was meglomaniacal minus the "Let's go for a spin" line. Not sure what else they could have done here. I agree the ending was a bit rushed, but I guess it didn't ruin the obvious improvements they'd done for me.

Jun 18 - 01:52 AM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

I thought it looked pretty good, but is the ending really just another one of those endings that feels like a preview for the a sequel? I just hate those endings.

Jun 18 - 05:30 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I would say not really. It's just very abrupt and a bit too simple.

Jun 18 - 05:37 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jun 18 - 01:52 AM

nalindra

nalindra ferdinando

[b]Sad!!![/b]
Sad to see films like FF earning 57 million since it was a stupid movie.On the other haand its good to see movie like ocean's 13 and knoked up holding up very well among crap films like fantastic four.

Jun 18 - 02:06 AM

aknddon3

andrew kruzel

Wait you think that Knocked Up is a good movie? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, FF2 is 1000 times better than that pile of crap and it was still only an okay movie.

Jun 18 - 02:24 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

You would be entertained watching a turd being flushed down a toilet.

Jun 18 - 04:49 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

LOL, and the gloves have come off!!!! God I love RT.

Jun 18 - 04:52 AM

the-russian

Nick Danczyk

LMAO. Best comment ever. Hey buddy, I heard Galactus was a big cloud, lol.

Jun 18 - 08:03 AM

aknddon3

andrew kruzel

Jun 18 - 02:24 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

You would be entertained watching a turd being flushed down a toilet.

Jun 18 - 04:49 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

LOL, and the gloves have come off!!!! God I love RT.

Jun 18 - 04:52 AM

the-russian

Nick Danczyk

LMAO. Best comment ever. Hey buddy, I heard Galactus was a big cloud, lol.

Jun 18 - 08:03 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

You would be entertained watching a turd being flushed down a toilet.

Jun 18 - 04:49 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

LOL, and the gloves have come off!!!! God I love RT.

Jun 18 - 04:52 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

LOL, and the gloves have come off!!!! God I love RT.

Jun 18 - 04:52 AM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Jun 18 - 05:30 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I would say not really. It's just very abrupt and a bit too simple.

Jun 18 - 05:37 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I would say not really. It's just very abrupt and a bit too simple.

Jun 18 - 05:37 AM

daycare

chris mark

Fantastic 4 has better word of mouth then the first one. It should do well in the coming weeks. Happy that it did very well.

Jun 18 - 05:49 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

ok, SO F4 isn't Batman Begins...get over it. i actually like the series and even though the ending was really lame...its still better than some of the comic book crap we already have out. WHY exactly?? because they don't listen to the comic nerds and do everything EXACTLY like the comics. having the comic looking galactus would have been extreeeemely gay. i've heard you will be able to watch the test scenes when its released on dvd with Boy George in the full Galactus outfit though...just to see how it woulda looked had they gone the "real" comic way...

they've done a really good job of keeping every audience entertained. the adults, the nerds and the ESPECIALLY kids, hence the pg rating and minimum running time. like it or not people, the series is here to stay and as long as they don't try to appease ONE certain group...it'll keep working.

Jun 18 - 05:58 AM

nalindra

nalindra ferdinando

[b]True![/b]
Yes FF isn't a batman begins and its not even close.The way the story was built in batman begins and the ending itself was just awesome.Still FF was a PG movie for god's sake and its the most idiotic movie,sadistic story I've ever seen.Yes every comic book movie cannot be batman begins but atl east it can offer some story rather than a CGI surfer doing crazy stunts.So overall its as idiotic as this years ghost rider with just CGI and no soul in it.

Jun 18 - 09:07 AM

laika86

Daniel H

Very good weekend for fantastic 4. This shows how much spending power the 10 year old boy has. Let's be honest, no non-fanboy adult would go see Fantastic 4 without getting dragged by their kids. Its not a knock against the movie...it was aimed at the preteen boy and it hit its demographic very well (is transformers pg or pg-13?...I would say transformers should go the same route). But it didnt make that money because adults flocked to go see it. Its just too silly looking.

Jun 18 - 06:23 AM

Derbeste

Rob Beste

[b]To the elitists only[/b]
Being harder to entertain doesn't make you smarter. It just makes you more boring.

FF was everything it professed to be and nothing more.

Besides, why shouldn't a younger audience have a super hero movie too?

(One that wasn't as boring as Superman btw)

I find it funny that many of these people Berrate FF for being "cartoony"......then go play World of Warcraft.

Jun 18 - 07:21 AM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast