No More Fantastic Four Sequels?

Summary

When the first two installments of a film franchise rack up nearly $300 million in domestic box office receipts, you'd tend to think a third chapter in the series would be inevitable. Back to Article

Comments

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

Much as he's obviously doing the 'pretty boy' circuit in movies like this, Evans also seems to be taking efforts to make himself into a serious actor; see, for example, "Sunshine"-- great, more complicated role in what started off as a great movie. Candor like this makes me respect him that much more. I can only enjoy being a cynical prick and speculate why FF was NOT a 'legitimate cast.' Rhymes with 'Jessica Alba'..

Mar 24 - 05:47 AM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

Good. These were bad movies and shouldn't have been made in the first place. Both managed to misrepresent two great characters in Dr. Doom and Galactus. Not to mention that they were horribly written and acted.

Mar 24 - 05:58 AM

Vortex&Vertigo

Joel Feliciano

See. there are no coincidances. This is why he was the only thing worth seeing in the fantastic four series.

Mar 24 - 06:27 AM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

thank god it's over. and i agree that Alba was the weakest link in the cast. so many people go on and how about how hot she is. yeah, we get it, she's smoking hot. but she's a terrible actor. i thought someone like Naomi Watts was better suited for the Sue Storm role, but the casting of Alba was proof that they were aiming for eye candy rather than acting chops.

Mar 24 - 06:30 AM

iakobos

J Taylor

Don't lay all the blame at the feet of Alba. Ioan Gruffudd simply didn't pull off the part of Reed Richards at all. I don't know if it was his failure as an actor, the writing or the directing or all the above but he never came close to portraying Richards as he is depicted in the commics. In the comics Richards was a tougher, more authoritative leader. It was obvious he was in charge. In the movie, Richards was none of that.

It's a real shame the movies weren't any better. Wish I could say I'm going to miss a third installment.

Mar 24 - 06:48 AM

simpsons-movie-ruled

Raul Bravo

I heard(or probably read) somewhere that these movies were aimed to families. So that has to be the biggest screw-up they had, but I dont really know.
Anyways, WITHOUTH A FANTASTIC FOUR:3, THERE WONT BE A FANTASTIC FOUR:4!!!

Mar 24 - 12:09 PM

punktuate

Justin Montello

that was later on in the series he started out as kind of a ***** like it showed in the comics he was always this clumsy doekish guy where Sue was the one with more of a redheads authoritive bark....Reed didn't turn "I'm the man till he had saved the world a couple times

Mar 25 - 02:46 PM

The Tony Show

Tony Pagano

Just wait 10 years and they'll hire a dark, mysterious Director to "reboot" it.

lol

Mar 24 - 06:55 AM

Chico Movie Examiner

David Wangberg

That really wouldn't surprise me if they tried to reboot it. Again. I mean you could technically call this series a reboot since the original one from 1994 was so terrible it was never released.

Mar 24 - 11:31 AM

dahluzz

joe shmo

hosanna in the highest, the series is dead. i watched about an hour of the first one on hbo and that was plenty.

i mean, everyone knew sue storm was always way out of reed's league, but he wooed her through his ballerism, and Ioan Gruffudd (hate that name, how do you even say it?) displayed no such game. plus, alba was her usual stilted, unassured self.

however, i don't think ole chris evans should be pining for legitimacy. as impressive as "celular" and "the nanny diaries" were, chris, I don't know if you're quite on the A-list yourself.

anyways, please let this franchise die, and if they insist on crossing one of the characters over, make it dr. doom. guy is pure evil and wasn't given his due at all.

Mar 24 - 07:10 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

Yeah, ..I'll give you guys that Gruffud was pretty bad, too. All the machismo of McLovin and half the charisma.

Mar 24 - 07:25 AM

crystalwhiteeyes

Tommy Savor

Fantastic!!

Mar 24 - 07:35 AM

largely

Dean Peteet

Yaayyyyyyyyy! Now if JLA would just follow suit. Hey did anybody else not like Lawrence Fishburn's voice for SS. I remember seeing an early trailer that had Doug Jones's voice over and it sounded so much more like what I thought the Surfer should sound like. Now he just sounds like Morpheus.

Mar 24 - 07:39 AM

Thundaar

Paul Fairbrother

This series failed mostly because of the writing and the direction. The cast wasn't strong - except Evans IMO. Conceptually, they went for camp. Bad idea.

Mar 24 - 07:49 AM

DrNvrmore

Jason Schiely

You guys take this ***** to seriously.

The first movie was not well done at all but the 2nd movie was much better - while not acted that much better the movie was no worse than any of the 3 X-Men movies. Weakest link was Julian McMahon as Dr. Doom, he played the exact same cheese character as he did in the Charmed Ones and just like Alyssa Milano, Jessica Alba makes up for "lack of acting ability" in the "nice to look at" category.

I am sure we will see the return of the FF to movies - as Marvel doesn't seem to care about making cornpuffs (ei: Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider) - I think Marvel is just looking at completing their big "super-hero introduction" movies (ie: Iron Man, Incredible Hulk and then future movies like Antman, Capt. America, Thor) that will lead to the Avengers Movie.

Not that anyone cares... but my 5 year old son thinks that the 2 FF movies are the best thing this side of anything created by Pixar.

Mar 24 - 07:56 AM

hellraiserlvr

Bernadette Phelps

DrNvrmore, are you crazy? I saw both and the second one was way worse that the first one. Also, Alyssa Milano is probably one of the most underrated actresses of our time. Ok, her TV work is not that great, but have you ever seen "Fear", which was consequently Reese Witherspoon's and Mark Wahlburg's breakout movie. Milano was brilliant in it. She reminds me a lot of Rose McGowan - yeah, she can definitely cheese it up, but she can also be a fantastic actress.

Mar 24 - 01:32 PM

hellraiserlvr

Bernadette Phelps

Mar 24 - 01:37 PM

tuswraith

Andrew Brown

Whatever you're smoking must be pretty good......."no worse than any of the 3 X-Men Movies?" Are you insane? X-Men 1 and 2 were SOLID superhero movies directed by Bryan Singer, with 2 being amazing. X-Men 3 was sloppy, I admit, but is still FAR better than Fantastic Four. The 2-pack of Fantastic Four will be in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart for $3 with a $10 mail in rebate, just so that you'll take that piece of crap off of their hands.

Apr 10 - 06:14 AM

Kollikodon

Ryan Ohlemeier

I was kinda hoping they'd drag the 'useless adventure that couldnt' until a 4th installment..

Fantastic 4: Quatro, anyone?

Mar 24 - 08:03 AM

darth_chef

Brett Vainavicz

Hopefully the Silver Surfer will get his standalone film now

Mar 24 - 08:07 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

Thank God. Those movies are abominations.

And not just because Alba can't act.

Mar 24 - 08:32 AM

JUDGE DREDD

idle one kenobi

I must be in the minority that actually didnt mind the films too much. I coulda handled a 3rd just to round it off. I think spiderman 3 was worse. But i never asked much from FF, wasnt a big fan of the comics. And i agree Alba was the weakest link, and i dont particularly think shes that hot. I know waaaay hotter girls in real life than alba. Give me Kelly Brook anyday. (Alba would still cop it sweet though!)

Mar 24 - 10:02 AM

DrNvrmore

Jason Schiely

Didn't realize Bat-Fink knew Kelly Brook.

I will say that Alba might not fit everyone's taste but I don't see how people could ever say she is "not THAT hot" after they watch her in "INTO THE BLUE".

And if BatFink does know hotter gals that Alba what is he doing wasting time on this message board... LOL!

Mar 24 - 10:23 AM

DrNvrmore

Jason Schiely

Didn't realize Bat-Fink knew Kelly Brook.

Mar 24 - 10:23 AM

5minutesmusic

Alexander None of you're business

The first one was terrible, but Rise of the Silver Surfer was so much better. I enjoyed it. Would I like to have some one else replace Jessica Alba? Yes, I think she was just terrible in FF movies. Chris Evans I thought was convincing enough. If they are going to do another one in the next couple years I hope they get someone to replace Alba!

Mar 24 - 10:32 AM

The Tony Show

Tony Pagano

Chris Evans had me at "Teen Movie" ("There's a hole in the side of your house"). The guy has good comic timing, yet still pulls off the serious stuff well. He's no Oscar winner yet, but he's enjoyable to watch.

The rest of the FF cast is not so fortunate.

Mar 24 - 11:05 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Ionn is a terrific actor in his element. See Amazing Grace or better yet the old Horatio Hornblower series. Also thought he outacted Clive Owen in King Arthur, but you're right he wasn't ideal for Reed Richards.

Mar 24 - 02:01 PM

rgallitan

robin thompson

Didn't see the second one, but I liked the first. It wasn't great, and Alba and Dr. Doom WERE pretty weak, but it was mostly harmless fun. I think people are too hard on it because they compare it to the more mature reboots we've been blessed with in recent years, and forget that the FF4 comics were never anything but fluff.

Mar 24 - 11:25 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup
Weekly Ketchup

Read the Comic-Con revelations

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships