Fantastic Planet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fantastic Planet Reviews

December 13, 2014
A silly and sterile animation that believes to be much smarter than it is (even the wordplays Oms and Terr are obvious), not to mention that it is visually and audibly dated (the music is awful) and constantly loses focus with too much unnecessary detailing about the wild life in Ygam.
July 22, 2012
The Terry Gilliam-esque animation is very trippy and goes along with the creepy surreal sci-fi settings nicely. The best part of the film is witnessing the creativity of the animators through the wacky unusual creatures and sci-fi aesthetics. One of my favorite moments was a scene where a weird bat-like creature attacks the human colony and the humans have to take it down. The film also has a tasty avant-garde soundtrack that adds to the surreal vibe of the film.

This film was originally released on a double bill with 'Yellow Submarine', which was another counterculture film released under the guise of a children film. The plot boils down to a 'Planet of the Apes'-like story with a thinly-veiled Cold War undertone. While the animation steals the show, the story unfortunately never lives up to it's potential. The characters are simply boring, and the bland voice acting make the characters seem even more lifeless. Plus despite being an adult animated film, the plot ends up being simplistic-to-a-fault while the ending is a super-cliche "can't we all just get along" happy ending that seemed too good to be believable.

The animation alone makes the film worth seeing but don't expect the narrative to blow your mind.
366weirdmovies
½ July 11, 2012
In the distant future, humanity has been captured by a race of giant blue aliens with mystical powers and removed to a planet where they are kept as pets; one man raised in captivity escapes to join the "wild Oms" and devises a plan for humanity to escape. The Salvador-Dali-meets-Terry-Gilliam-in-space animation and psychedelic soundtrack invite altered viewing, but this is more than JUST a trip; there's a strong sci-fi story here set in a beautifully realized alternate realty.
March 29, 2012
On a planet far far away, giants rule over the humanoids and keep them as pets, making them wear collars and staging fights between them for fun. When one of the giants takes in a particular human (known as om's), she brings him everywhere until one day, he runs away. He eventually finds the colony of his own race and they eventually come of with the plan of using their two rockets to try and reach a planet where they may be safe (the fantastic planet). This is one of the most bizarre films I have ever seen, and oddly one of the best films overall that I have ever seen. Made in 1973, it has creepy animation that will be easily acceptable once you realize what you are in for, the voice acting is very impressive, the story is very original, and the conclusion will leave you smiling, if you followed everything that happened. My only complaint is that, even though it is a cartoon, they really push the limits of their PG rating. This is one of the most unique films I have ever seen. "Fantastic Planet" is nothing short of fantastic!
½ December 7, 2009
if its so surreal and philosophical, then how come the only thing that sticks out for me is an old woman on her death bed with her long grey carrot tits falling into her armpits?
FilmFanatik
½ February 17, 2010
Totally bizarre film. The animation was interesting but some of the story elements weren't very clear and some of the sound effects were annoying.
flixsterman
January 11, 2009
A bizarre, animated, environmental, sci-fi acid trip (acid optional).
½ June 25, 2008
Startling and surreal animated film about a gigantic race of blue alien beings who oppress human beings and keep them as pets. Widely regarded as an allegorical statement on the Soviet occupation of Czechoslovakia.
puffchunk
½ November 21, 2007
Great old skool 70's animation. Reminds me a bit of yellow submarine, but much cooler. A story about a strange planet where humans are pets to giant blue creatures, and they win the war against them by destroying their headless stone mating bodies.
½ February 18, 2012
Definitely a product of its time, "Fantastic Planet" is so obviously aimed at stoners that one feels guilty watching it straight. Between the outer-space setting, the bloopy synthesizer score, the fanciful creatures, the lava-lamp vistas, the emphasis on out-of-body meditation and a host of drug-like rituals, the film practically reeks of marijuana. Head-flick alert! See it with a giggling friend.

At its core, this animated French fable has a familiar theme of two rival tribes coming together as one. The giant Draags are slim, bald and blue, with bulging red eyes and fish-like features. They dominate over their planet's tiny humans (or "Oms," as in "hommes"), either exterminating them like bugs or callously keeping them as childrens' pets (they easily fit in the palm of a Draag's hand). Eventually, an outsider sect of Oms challenges the Draags' rule, possibly dooming both populations. But what's most delightful is not the thin story, but all the whimsical, throwaway images that don't even contribute to the plot. One imagines the screenwriters brainstorming for random elements to add, suggesting "Hey, about a scene with crystals?" "OK, but I have an idea for a monster!" So many surreal snapshots that pop up just once and make a quick exit.

The dull color palette is a minus -- most of the scenery has a similar, salmon-colored tone -- but the one glaring flaw is an inexplicably rushed ending. After 70 minutes of graceful storytelling, the denouement feels like something tossed together on deadline. Wham bam, film over. What?
Ryan M
½ February 18, 2011
9.1/10

I once dreamed that I died and was reborn as a little blue child. I'm sure that dream wasn't brought on by those years watching "The Smurfs", or those times I've watched the recently released "Avatar", but perhaps something I hadn't experienced yet. "Fantastic Planet" happens to be the film that coincidentally reminds me of my dream- or in this case-nightmare. This piece of sheer hallucinogenic brilliance is some of the best French cinema has to offer when it comes to animation; and if you're going to see it, then see it for the surrealistic visuals. But wait, there's also a story going on here as well, and it involves themes of racism, war, and the usual futuristic material that a proper Sci-Fi film should have. "Fantastic Planet" is indeed fantastic, and in a great number of ways. It succeeds miraculously as an animated feature, a tense drama, and a compelling sci-fi film all in one. It doesn't take a good film to do this; it takes a great one. And in my opinion, "Fantastic Planet" is great; in fact, it might just be one of my favorite animated films yet. There's so much genius going on here at once that it's easy to loose track of the real picture set in front of you; but if you can comprehend this brilliant little bugger, then it's one of the best animated acid trips you will ever take. And considering the nigh inexcusable lack of trippy films these days, that's saying a lot. It's a nice piece of adult animation, but I have but one concern, and this particular one goes out to parents. To the parents who are reading; do not let your children watch this film. Chances are it will terrify them because the imagery is often times too frightening and "fantastic" for their age group to either comprehend or withstand. But as they grow, it might be good to expose this kind of stuff to them. It's not "inappropriate" by any means; I just don't want anyone's child to be scarred for life after watching stuff like this at a young age. It may be animated, but that does not mean it's for kids. If you were to ask me, I actually find something oddly charming about adult animated films; and perhaps it rests in their unique layers of complexity. "Fantastic Planet" is some damn good animation. And considering what can be done in animation, there's reason to see the thing as it is.

We set the scene on a planet inhabited by humanoid blue people called Draags, and another species of smaller humanoid beings called Oms. The two species live in harmony for quite some time; with the Draags often treating the tamed Oms as their pets while the Oms just go along with it. However, there are stray Oms, and they are starting a rebellion against the mere existence of the Draags. And these little guys are uncommonly feisty; in spite of their size. So the film is about a war; I'll admit that. But it's also about a central character, who is- in this case- a little boy who grows up as a tamed Om. The boy escapes his alien captors and joins a group of rebellious Om; all who share the same dream of freedom. He gets caught up in the middle of this grand war; and the film essentially builds itself around the themes of warfare and the future. The war depicting in this film mimics that of the Cold War, while the sci-fi themes are in plain sight. But this is no ordinary animated feature; it uses its visuals and plot to tell its story. You can look at the visuals and envision a plot on its own, or you can listen to the story being told. I did both; and got a lot out of this masterpiece. There's a lot of artistic design that went into the story and the visuals; and each good aspect makes "Fantastic Planet" all the more fantastic. It's one of the best adult animated films ever made; and one of the more memorable films of the 1970's. Some think that it has lost its spark, but I disagree. I think that "Fantastic Planet"- and its themes- is very much alive. It's for those who can accept it as art.

Sadly, there is not much to say about the voice cast of the film. There are not enough voice actors that should be considered note-worthy; although that does not mean they are bad. The film's voice cast sounds very good, and the only name I can find out of the entire cast- as of now- is Barry Bostwick. But I suppose this film is not about the cast; it's about the vision that has been created. That is what you should be paying attention to here; not so much the talents involved behind the voices of each character. Speaking of which, the characters in this film are very well developed. Despite the absence of the voice cast's notability, that's good enough for me.

This is what I want when I hear "great animated film". Sure, Pixar is nice. In fact, Pixar is pretty great. But they're a big, modern animated company; while "Fantastic Planet" is a little, "old" animated feature. It's not the kind of animated film that could be made anymore, because good or not, most of them use a lot of dialogue. This one in particular is like "2001" squeezed just a little bit beyond the one hour mark. The film is short- even for an animated film- but yet it tells a delicate story and has spectacular visuals. The film feels surreal, trippy, and all-around awesome. I have seen great French films; and I have also seen great animated films from France. But this one is one of the best; not only from its year or its decade, but also from French cinema alike. I will indeed treasure this film in some way or form. The visual style is revolutionary to me, and I'll recognize it from time-to-time. I will be recommending this work of art to many people; just not young children, for this is a piece of animation that was not made for them. Some will say that "Fantastic Planet" is a recommended "family viewing". Do not listen to these people; "Fantastic Planet" should only be watched by intelligent minds belonging to intelligent people. It's doubtful that the whole family will have that kind of mind, but if they do, then good for them; this film is one of the whole crowd. But you get my point; this is an intelligent and complex work of science fiction filmmaking. I was very entertained by the imagery, the story-telling, and the thematic elements alike.

I do not know why a film as great as this was forgotten by so many. Perhaps it was not marketed correctly, or perhaps the critical reception was divided. This animated film remains daring even to this day, but that's part of why I enjoyed it so much. There's a lot to look at and think about here; and how can you resist a film which has that kind of stuff in it? This film is very artistic, never explicit, but never "kiddish" either. It's animation for the grown-ups, and there's something I admire about that. But alas, this film cannot be put into words. It's the kind of surrealistic, cinematic acid trip that you need to experience for yourself; regardless of who you are. This film will please sci-fi and animation fans alike; and if you can dig it, then you can love it as well. And yes, I do love "Fantastic Planet". I love it very much. So much animation clichés are non-existent here, and this is a film which wants to create animated art at any cost. The film will be intense, thematic, and complex whether we like it or not. Kids will run under the covers while the parents will remain fascinated. I think that this film is fairly spell-binding; or at least enough so that adults will like it or at least love it. You can say what you want about the film, but there's something ominous and savage about "Fantastic Planet" that I can't quite put my finger on. Strangely enough, that's kind of why I love it; because I don't fully understand it. I guess you don't need to understand this one completely to enjoy it as much as I did. But you sure need to enjoy it for starters. Chances are you will.
½ May 30, 2014
My thoughts are somewhat scattered from my viewing of Fantastic Planet, the film starts off suave as hell with the electronic score and the opening film title:

Le Planète Sauvage

In this fanastic (or wild plaent, going by direct translation) blue intellectual faints rule over humans. Similar to human interaction with animals, some of the giants consider the humans pests (although acklonledging their high organizational skills), while some of these humans are kept as pets with collars and getting dressed up in ridiculous clothing. While this is just a micro allusion that the film makes, there's a lot of greater symbolism.

The two main themes I reached were oppression (through political systems) and knowledge (which is a tool to fight oppression). It's hard to say which system each life of our protagonist represent. When Terr was kept as a pet to the blue giants, he's like an object of the state. When the domesticated Terr goes into the wild, he joins a more communal system, but which still adores and relies on it's leaders. While it feels that the film is pointing towards the cold war in it's symbolism- space ships representing the scientific exploration for example- it's hard to make a distinction creating a capitalistic and communistic system. Perhaps the film shows they're closer to the same than they're given credit for. Regardless in both systems knowledge brings power, and in both systems it's oppressed.

The animation is very stoic, often leaving lots of blank space, and rarely fluid. There are many great "sanpshots" in the film, often showing creativity, and the images our interesting. But I can't say I'm overly impressed by the animation itself, simply since I've seen more appealing.

The film left me somewhat unaffected, it has some thought provoking spiritual and political under tones, but nothing that lasted.
lesleyanorton
July 5, 2009
70's Surreal and philosophical animation about a future world where man is a tiny savage species amongst the more cerebral big blue people, and is treated accordingly as toys and/or pests. Fantastic :-)
April 1, 2010
Very cool, trippy French animated feature! Political and social undertones are definitely felt throughout, and the film can be enjoyed both knowing about these issues or w/o them!
mustardnoize
½ March 5, 2008
A very interesting animated allegory about the Russian occupation of Czechoslovakia. It's also great science-fiction, too. The animation, appropriately psychedelic for 1973, is truly mind-bending, but what really stands out is its fantastic score, which makes brilliant use of synthesizers, women's chorus, flutes, and the clavinet. One of my favorite animated films. Highly recommended, especially if you don't mind heavily psychedelic visuals.
August 24, 2007
A phenomenal piece of science fiction filmmaking. I had not before, nor have I since, seen anything quite like it. <3
½ August 26, 2015
Although simplistic in its allegorical musings on the nature of social class, Fantastic Planet has enough visually psychedelic moments of weirdness to make it an amusing, albeit slight, piece of animated filmmaking.
½ September 14, 2007
Drawn with sharp details in warm pastel colors, the movie is just the kind of hippie allegory and trippy visual experience that the '60s often produced. Fantastic Planet, adapted from a novel by Stefan Wul, was inspired by the invasion of Czechoslovakia by the Russians in the late '60s.
September 1, 2014
Some cool designs but in world building, characterization, metaphorical inventiveness, and as SF allegory it was about 50 years behind the field. For trippy world building, check out Stanley G. Weinbaum's 1934 story "A Martian Odyssey." For much earlier strong, if equally labored, SF allegory in film, check out Fritz Lang and Thea von Harbou's "Metropolis."