Far From Home - The Adventures Of Yellow Dog Reviews

erika250
March 19, 2010
I like any film with dogs in it.
September 14, 2009
A teenage boy named Angus (Jesse Bradford) gets lost after he and his dad were involved in a major boat crash during a storm at sea. Now it's up to Angus to survive in the vast woodlands with sea all around him, but fortunately, he is keen on survival skills. But that's not all. Not only does Angus have two GREAT parents (Mimi Rogers and Bruce Davison) who refuse to give up on searching for him, he has a new pet dog, Yellow, that stays alongside him and helps tremendously by providing courage and companionship.
"Far From Home - The Adventures of Yellow Dog" is a GREAT movie. Many critics scorched the film by saying that it's predictable and a little cliched. Maybe it is, but so what!?! It's a great family drama that the whole family can sit and watch together time and time again and it's one movie that never gets old.

I don't know about everybody else, but I think "Far From Home - The Adventures of Yellow Dog" is an all-around great movie in every way. Mimi Rogers and Bruce Davison do a spectacular job of acting as great parents would in that situation, Yellow (Dakotah) is a smart dog that has a likable charm, and everybody else in the film does a good job of acting. Just as great is the film itself. There are parts full of suspense, feel-good sequences, and yes, you guessed it, parts that are tear jerkers. Not to mention that a perfect musical score is also included to give "Far From Home - The Adventures of Yellow Dog" an even higher boost.

I've always been a huge fan of almost any kind of drama movie, and the ones about survival are one of my favorite genres of drama. If you want a great family drama to add to your collection, if you're a dog lover, or if you like great survival or drama films in general, do yourself, your family, or whoever a huge favor and purchase "Far From Home - The Adventures of Yellow Dog" today! You will NOT regret it! I hope they make a DVD version of this movie one day. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001. I love a lot of dog movies, and this one is one of my favorites of them.
iLeo
January 26, 2008
The cutest!
½ March 4, 2007
This is one of those movies the family went to see at the dollar show a looong time ago. I almost fell asleep :)
February 12, 2007
Bradford and Mimi Rogers, teamed with Bruce Davison on Borsos film here. It is heart warming, humerous and beautiful scene shots. The caring of his retriever and himself, Bradford takes the film to new horizon. A lot of the scenery was gorgeous, and if you get a chance scope it out. It rates right up their with "Old Yeller" and "Red Fern".....
½ August 7, 2014
Heart-warming Canadian story from Disney about a boy and his dog and the adventures to return home after a storm at sea capsizes them.
½ August 6, 2012
A really good movie that children and dog owners gotta watch..
½ August 2, 2012
What is it about a boy and his dog that we find so appealing? Once again, the simple bonding between a young man and a faithful stray is the basis for another story of courage and adventure in ``Far From Home: The Adventures of Yellow Dog.''
Set in today's Pacific Northwest, a young teen by the name of Angus (Jesse Bradford) falls for a lovable mutt that wanders on to the property one day. With a combination of manners, rambunctiousness and loyalty, the dog soon works his way into the family's hearts. Thus, when father and son take to the sea to deliver some supplies down the coast, Yellow Dog comes along.
An unexpected storm capsizes the modest craft, leaving Angus and Yellow to fare for themselves until help comes. Well versed in survival practices, the pair manage quite well for the first few days after reaching shore. But when the rescue party fails to materialize after many days, the choice is made to strike out on their own for home. The resulting trip is a grueling and tiring trek; laden with confrontation and disappointment.
Writer/director Phillip Borsos has an easy style that tells his story economically. He touches on a lot of bases; covering family life, young love, wilderness adventure and the power of nature. Despite his capable hand, his story seems like a hodge-podge of scenes from past films. The basic premise draws direct comparisons to Disney's ``Old Yeller'', while the numerous adventures are distilled from any number of similar stories.
The oddest thing about the film is the way in which the high points, ie. thrills, repeatedly build to a peak without any resolution. Dangers faced appear and disappear without any real purpose other than to provide something for the advertisers to put in their commercials.
This makes the film tame enough for kids (PG rating), but leaves the story drawn out and unexplained at times. If it weren't for the praiseworthy values embodied by the family's struggle and the rugged beauty of Canada's British Columbia coast, this would be a real snoozer for adults.
Bruce Davison and Mimi Rogers offer great support as the refreshingly wholesome, loving parents: a dad who actually spends time teaching his boys crafts, and a mom who displays strength and intelligence without being a corporate business woman.
At under an hour and a half, this should be a good matinee film for children. Teens will probably find little to cheer about in the action department as the dangers are quite tame, but hopefully they will find the old-fashioned life depicted a pleasant change from the gang-banging culture so prevalent in contemporary stories. It will definitely remind parents of another age.
September 5, 2011
love this movie <3
June 14, 2011
Loved it when I was 6 years old, and I love it now!
January 26, 2010
Not bad, but not perfect.