Far From the Madding Crowd - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Far From the Madding Crowd Reviews

jjnxn
½ June 16, 2015
This is an adequate rendering of the Hardy classic but Paloma Baeza lacks the internal presence necessary to make Bathsheba compelling and with that hole at the center the project is doomed to be a letdown.
September 21, 2015
Is it on Netflix or Acorn?
July 27, 2015
This is a very faithful adaptation of the Thomas Hardy novel. It has great performances and wonderful scenery.
June 25, 2015
Nicholas Baker is charismatic as Farmer Oake. Nigel Terry who was Prince John in Lion in Winter and Arthur in Excalibur, has the thankless job of being repeatedly turned down. Paloma Baeza is beautiful but a little unfocussed as Bathsheba. The scenery is not as splendid as it is in the 2015 adaptation, and the costumes not as opulent. More use of the servants in this version. Very entertaining, and never lost my interest, but I'm a fool for a costume drama. I think I still prefer the 1967 version, but there's still Tamara Crewe to consider. It's 3 hours and twenty minutes long. More things are explained than in other versions, but some things are belabored. For the "Masterpiece Theater" fan.
jjnxn
½ June 16, 2015
½ July 6, 2012
Good adaptation of a novel of one of my favorite authors, Thomas Hardy!
½ October 25, 2010
This is an excellent BBC adaptation from T Hardy fatalistic tale with Nathaniel Parker and Paloma Baeza, which are superb in their roles, especially Parker who does a wonderful job as Gabriel Oak.
½ October 7, 2010
You don't have Terence Stamp, Julie Christie, Peter Finch and John Schlesinger in this version, but this version of Hardy's novel is more loyal to the book.

In spite of the weaknesses of this TV Film, I enjoy watching it.