A Farewell to Arms - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Farewell to Arms Reviews

April 2, 2015
What must have been a great movie in its day, and is still quite good, but has lost a step or two in with what has come since in the last 80 + years.
½ March 19, 2015
Excellent cinematography, though a lot of it is experimental rather than necessary (see: a creative shot from the point of view of a guy moving around on a hospital bed). Good direction & acting.
November 17, 2014
Based on the Ernest Hemingway novel and starring Gary Cooper, this has the potential to be a classic. The setting and sentiment are reasonably original, especially for their time, and the movie is reasonably gritty.

Yet, it doesn't feel like a classic. The romance seems trite and contrived. Overly schmaltzy and sometimes just plain dull.

The acting is patchy. Gary Cooper is okay, but Helen Hayes' performance is quite flat. Most entertaining performance comes from Adolphe Menjou as Rinaldi.

It was probably quite good in its time, and might well be regarded as one of the first anti-war movies, but it now feels quite dated.
July 3, 2010
Well done but melodramatic in the extreme
April 24, 2014
Yeah just read the book
½ January 8, 2014
Den har inte klarat av tidens tand helt enkelt
December 30, 2013
I liked all the technical aspects but just thought the movie was kind of dull. It hasn't aged all that well imo. I probably should have just read the book!
½ June 10, 2011
A very melodramatic and decently created first Hemingway adaptation of A Farewell to Arms that while not reaching the greatness of the book, is commendable. The film is slow and often filled with a lot of overly emotional events but if you can endure that you are in for a good and tragic love story unfolding and the devastating result.
½ August 16, 2013
I find that Gary Cooper outside of High Noon is not someone suited for a lot of films. Here he bumbles through Hemingway who unfortunately was alive to see it.
½ August 15, 2013
The beauty of this film lies not in the tragic romance, but rather a beautiful mise en scene that will take you right into the heart of the golden age of Hollywood. A spirited performance from Helen Hayes and the down to earth gentlemanly nature of Gary Cooper will keep the audience engaged, but it is the ability of the director to capture the golden age that will still keep the audience spellbound, 80 years on. :)
May 7, 2013
such a wonderful movie, one of the original tear jerkers , what is interesting is how the book made a lot of people unhappy. I think it is time for a remake and keep it true to Ernest liking.
May 21, 2012
Sei que à (C) um clássico, mas nem sempre isso significa se tratar de um bom filme. à o caso aqui, pelo menos no meu ponto de vista. Adeus às Armas simplesmente não sobreviveu ao tempo. Narrativa burocrática e pouco inspirada, sem contar o moralismo ultrapassado da história. E antes de me acusarem de não pensar o filme em seu contexto, os anos 1930, se lembrem que mesmo naquela à (C)poca (e antes) foram produzidos filmes muito melhores e mais ousados que esse.
½ February 14, 2012
hemmingway always said this was his favorite of his books turned n2 movies.
February 4, 2012
Following his second Best Director Oscar, Frank Borzage was contracted to direct this first of many future Hemingway adaptations, and in retrospect, eighty years later, it's still the best. All eyes are on Gary Cooper, in an early romantic role, as Hemingway's American lieutenant in Italy, falling deeply in love with Helen Hayes as a saintly nurse, only naturally to be ripped apart by war and tragedy. For an early sound production, the camera is surprisingly mobile, and the beautiful cinematography deservedly won an Oscar.
January 25, 2012
It has often been said, "All's fair in love and war", and this film certainly has both. Although, by the end you start to wonder if Gary Cooper's character thinks differently of that idiom, as life hands him some unfair circumstances in both love and war.
November 19, 2011
The very first movie I ever watch with my MOM and truly enjoyed. She picked it and I was in the 9th grade.
September 27, 2011
As I much appreciate the star actor, Gary Cooper, I found this film to be a dissapointment. Cooper stars as a soldier to finds love in a World War I camp. He meets a nurse (Helen Hayes), and the spent several short periods of time together enjoying each other's company. Sadly, Cooper has to return to war and Hayes has been moved to another camp. I wanted to like this film, but I it found slow and relatively dated. It just didn't have the magic that it once had back in 1932 and alas, I could only marginally accept it. I will admit, however, the special effects were pretty explosive and there were few scenes with some passion.
July 26, 2011
People say it's to long, but it's less than 90 minutes long, so why not check it out?
June 26, 2011
A classic film, and one of the early talkies.
June 4, 2011
The book fails to carry over to the screen.