• The Curse

The Curse (The Farm) Reviews

deano
deano

October 3, 2010
This sci-fi horror film adapting H.P. Lovecraft's short story "The Colour Out of Space" freaked me out and it's pretty creepy. There were parts where you could tell it was fake, then other times things looked real.
Good performances by most of the cast. Paces moves along. Some nice shots of the Tennessee landscape. Good make-up and gross out effects.
Director David Keith loosely not only vividly evokes a thick and pungent down-home hillbilly atmosphere, but also does an expert job of creating and sustaining a spooky and unnerving tone.
AJ V

October 5, 2011
This movie starts out kind of boring, but it gets better as it goes on. It's especially exciting at the climax. It might seem weird or confusing at times, but it's pretty good in the end.
thefog1331
thefog1331

March 13, 2010
As a very loose adaption of Lovecraft's short story "The Colour Out of Space', it sucks. As a low budget 80's sci-fi/horror hybrid, it sucks.
Bottom line: it sucks. And it's boring.
I'l stick with the completely unrelated and very underrated sequel, Curse II: The Bite.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

November 29, 2009
Very weird Movie.
John2223
John2223

June 10, 2012
"The Curse" an entertaining, atmospheric and creepy sci-fi horror thriller with decent special effects and disgusting moments.
Gross b-movie from producer Lucio Fulci that's still worth watching.
Anthony V

July 7, 2008
Lots of slime and pus, it starts out okay, then rapidly deteriorates.
Johnlindsey289
July 17, 2009
A fair HP Lovecraft based Sci-fi horror thriller about a meteorite that falls in a family's backyard and creates havok as it mutates the crops, animals and themselves. Stars Wil Wheaton, John Schnedier and Claude Atkins at their best, it's slimy fun.
October 29, 2008
As Lovecraft adaptions go, "The Curse" deserves some credit for being relatively faithful to the original story ("The Colour Out of Space".) Unfortunately, the movie itself just isn't very good, mostly due to bad acting, and a few terribly dislikeable characters.
June 9, 2014
The plot overall was true to the original story but speaking of story, the story they had in place for this film was bad and the little girl's screaming was super ANNOYING!
May 12, 2014
Though the last act ruins the lovecraftian vibe of the Film, The Curse 1 is an enjoyably creepy adaptation of The Colour out of Space. From a cinematic standpoint the movie is a mess, with jittery editing, boring camerawork some eye-rollingly dumb comic relief characters and poorly executed pacing and plotlines. Nonetheless it is an enjoyably schlocky watch. It stars a young Wil Wheaton and his sister Amy.
toxiemite
March 4, 2013
The Curse is yet another gem from the 80s that brings back a lot of memories. Watching it again as an adult I was 11 years old again and it still hit all of the right notes... although, a few FX left me stunned at how blatantly bad they were. Its a classic 50's B-movie based on a story by HP Lovecraft about a meteorite crash landing on a farm in rural America and seeping a strange goo into the town's water supply. The locals start to succumb to madness and the expected horror kicks in with savage deaths and people frantically running for their lives. I'm not usually one to point out a movie's flaws but the initial meteor crash is spectacularly bad. You can see the giant arm/rod attached to the styrofoam ball as it plummets through a plume of fog. Almost so bad it's good and when you see that Lucio Fulci is attached as producer and assisted with the FX department, it makes sense! LOL. Will Wheaton stars and I reckon almost every movie he was in as a kid, he performed scenes in just his underwear... its as unnerving as the story itself. With all of it's flaws I reckon that The Curse still delivers and has some fantastic poster art.
November 1, 2012
The movie info starts by saying "This awful horror film." I didn't think it was bad, just a little slow. It's worth watching once. Claude Akins is the man!
Horror Movie Project
January 28, 2010
Wil Wheaton is a terrible actor, well not terrible but not good. The Curse from 1987 is a good example of his acting chops. Here we have a redneck farming family who have a strange asteroid or egg or something crash land in their crops. Wil Wheaton plays a farmboy who's "loose" mother sleeps around with the help and a stepfather who is a backwoods country christian bible thumper. I see this movie as being inspiration to Eli Roth for his picture "Cabin Fever" where almost the exact same storyline happens.

Asteroid crashes and oozes out some weird stuff that gets into the water supply for this small farm. The inhabitants of the farm eat the food that was nourished by this tainted water and drink it as well transforming themselves into walking melting candles with super strength. Wil Wheaton is too smart for this trickery though and spends the entire hour and a half fighting off the Zombified versions of his Hick Stepfather and Fat Pig of a Step Brother.

The acting is horrible and the campiness of the film is really its only saving grace. It really doesn't show me anything that I would like to tell you about here. I suppose you could go on for the rest of your life and not ever see this, you would be pretty happy. From me The Curse gets a 3 out of 10.

Watch out them tomatoes spit blood!

Sid