Critics Consensus: Fast & Furious 6 is Certified Fresh

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got racing renegades (Fast & Furious 6, starring Vin Diesel and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson); the Wolfpack on the prowl (The Hangover Part III, starring Bradley Cooper and Ed Helms): and a fantastical forest (Epic, with voice work by Amanda Seyfried and Beyoncé Knowles). What do the critics have to say? Back to Article

Comments

Typhon

Typhon Q

Definitely will be seeing Fast and Furious 6.

Hangover got old after the first outing.

Epic looks completely unexceptional, contrary to what its name might tell you.

May 23 - 05:15 PM

Julia Turner

Julia Turner

just as Edward responded I am alarmed that some one can get paid $9048 in 1 month on the internet. did you see this site link... www.Rush60.c?m

May 29 - 02:15 PM

SecondBest

This Guy

Will be watching Hangover 3 this weekend. I know a lot of people love them, but I just don't get the appeal of the Fast and Furious franchise.

May 23 - 05:19 PM

Premo Beat

John Noto

Your second sentence is ironic when taking the first into consideration.

May 23 - 07:58 PM

ChanandelerBong

Chandler Bing

I wish this comment section had an upvote option sir!

May 24 - 07:42 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

clicking "like" . . . you're one sharp guy John Noto

May 24 - 09:50 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Fast and Furious produces an ADRENALIN RUSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh . . . fast-paced, awesome cars, BEAUTIFUL WOMEN you can't miss! The Hangover is about sex with a monkey . . . I'd rather see fast cars and beautiful BABES than watch a movie where a guy has sexual intercourse with a monkey.

May 24 - 09:53 AM

Dave J

Dave J

I'm with you on that one, speaking as a guy of course!

May 24 - 12:22 PM

SecondBest

This Guy

Whoa who had sex with a monkey? now im definitely interested.

May 24 - 12:40 PM

Dave J

Dave J

That was shown on "The Hangover" number 2, number 3 might be the giraffe!

May 24 - 01:08 PM

SecondBest

This Guy

@Dave J...im really looking forward to that.

May 24 - 02:29 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Yeah, those animal intimacy scenes can always guarantee plenty of laughs!

May 24 - 03:21 PM

Ken Wolfson

Ken Wolfson

I remember when Fast Five got certified fresh and everyone's brains exploded in shock. Its nice to see that 6 is just as good.

May 23 - 05:28 PM

HedRat

HedRat .

Keep your brain matter in your skull my friend. It's not as good as Fast Five. There are a series of 'huh-what?' double-taking leaps of logic just to get to the next set piece and most of the fights are so blurred you can't tell what's going on. It peaks with the tank.

May 24 - 04:33 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

If you are watching a fast and furious movie expecting logic then you're doing it wrong.

May 24 - 05:29 AM

Dave J

Dave J

As if number 5 makes sense too!

May 24 - 12:50 PM

Prince Niko

Prince Niko

Early prediction are saying Tge Hangiver is looking at 13-14 million opening day. That's a 50% drop from the last one opening day. So happy Fast 6 is getting good reviews.

May 23 - 05:29 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

I think by the time the long memorial day is over Fast and Furious 6's RT rating will probably lower a bit (Lincoln went below 90% a few weeks after release when it was above it on opening weekend for example) but it should stay above 70%.

On Hangover III's numbers, your talking about today right? It opened on Thursday while Fast and Furious 6 opens on Friday.

May 23 - 07:23 PM

Alberto Zeeky

Alberto Zeeky

Fast 6 will definitely be viewed once its paired up with something good at the drive-in.

Hangover... will probably watch it when it comes free on the movie network like I did for Part 2. How badly that franchise has stumbled.

May 23 - 05:29 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Classic Matrix/Heroes situation where they had something so good they thought they couldn't screw it up...then they went ahead and did.

May 23 - 05:53 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

That's actually the perfect comparison especially seeing as how The Matrix and Hero's was fine the way it was. It didn't need to be run into the ground! Just like The Hang Over. The story is over, they got their buddy back and they didn't learn a damn thing. It's a great Single Film. There is no reason to tell more stories about three guys who Got Drunk, Drugged, and Amnesiac that one time.

The Matrix ended with Neo basically becoming a God. There is no story after that! There is no Challenge a God can't face! WHY ARE YOU FLYING NEO! JUST WRITE YOUR OPPONENTS OUT OF EXISTENCE.....that highway chase was pretty cool though.

Ahem, I agree with you Big Brother

May 23 - 07:38 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

First off, I agree they botched the Matrix sequels and the later seasons of Heroes. BUT. You know we were all clambering for more of both. And they made a ton of money (especially the hangover) so I don't think we should be shocked they continued these series. The Matrix was overbearing, Heroes was confusing, and The Hangover was a one trick pony. But many of us asked for more and, well, we got it.

May 24 - 02:48 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I didn't ask for more. The Matrix and The Hangover both had endings that didn't imply any continuity what so ever. You know 5 seconds into the Matrix reloaded they retconned Neo's power, I finally watched it after a year or so on DVD and my friend insisted it didn't suck. The Highway scene did not suck...Didn't ask for more Hero's either...but that was because of how horrible the Finale of hero's was. If the Finale was even just okay then yes I would have asked for more.

May 24 - 03:43 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Really? When they were at their peak you didn't want more Matrix or Heroes? The Hangover I can buy but the Matrix clearly was sequel worthy and Heroes first season was great. I stopped watching halfway into season 2. It got stuuuuuuuupid.

May 25 - 11:20 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

My point wasn't that I didn't want more movies, my point was that I didn't want them to get lazy and give me bad sequels that crushed the good will of the brilliant original concept.

May 25 - 05:45 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Wait, so you guys wanted it to stay the same, the hangover 2 did, and then you hated it? Now this third one is different, and you hate it? Hey a bad movie is a bad movie, but the logic behind not liking the sequels doesn't add up.

May 24 - 05:31 AM

King  S.

King Simba

That's really the problem with sequels to comedies. They try to repeat the same premises, it's just not as funny the second time. They try to make it different and they lose what made the first film so good. Honestly, outside of some spoofs which have the advantage of being less plot focused than typical comedies (Naked Gun 2, Hot Shots 2) I can't think of any comedy sequel that I enjoyed as much as the original.

May 24 - 09:50 AM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

I liked Cannonball Run II better than Cannonball Run. The monkey is just too damn funny!

May 24 - 10:22 AM

May 24 - 09:50 AM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

May 24 - 10:22 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Slow week, even among the limited releases. Sure, I'll probably see "Before Midnight", but I'm not in the mood for that talky nostalgia when you have the Paper Tiger Himself! I'd just as soon watch Plimpton, the Gibney doc and the Basketball doc (that time of year) than just about anything else at the moment.

May 23 - 05:58 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

I'm sure I'll have fun with "Fast 6", but I'm not in a huge hurry to see it. Never saw the first "Hangover", though it does look funny, and have no interest in II or III. I've barely seen or heard anything about "Epic", but it doesn't interest me much from the looks of it. I'll just stay home.

May 23 - 06:24 PM

Vits

Vicente Torres

There was a lot of debate on how to make HANGOVER PART III. If they had repeated the formula again, people would've been dissatisfied. By changing the whole format, people are dissatisfied anyway. I had the answer: Don't make a 3rd one at all!

While an improvement on the awful sequels, I didn't actually think that FAST 5 was good. Since F&F 6 has the same R.T. rating, I might dislike it too.

I really liked BEFORE SUNRISE, but I felt SUNSET was redundant and pointless. I hope that won't happen with MIDNIGHT.

Sorry, but EPIC looks kinda boring.

May 23 - 06:53 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

I'm going to see Fast and Furious 6 this weekend. I haven't seen all the films in the franchise, but I did see the first one on DVD in 2002 (I thought it was so-so) and Tokyo Drift on TV a few years later (The cars were nice but the acting and rest of the plot was preposterious). I saw Fast 5 at my library and decided to see it since I skipped it in theaters in 2011. It was indeed a good action film and I look foward to some brainless yet not stupid fun.

I saw Hangover and I didn't really like it, and I have no interest at all in the two sequels.

Epic looks generic, the RT rating seems too high to me, many of the "positive" reviews actually seem more negative to me.

May 23 - 07:18 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

May 23 - 07:23 PM

crusader151

Peter Marsh

Hangover 3 was awful. I saw it last night and it was completely terrible. However, I realy do want to see Fast and Furious 6 and Before Midnight. Both those looked great.

May 23 - 07:31 PM

May 25 - 11:20 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

May 25 - 05:45 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I seriously want Fast 6 (or one of the next 3 of the Fast Furious Movies) to have someone finally call Dom out on his BS. We commit crimes, we rob, we cheat, we still...but its okay...because I have a really deep voice.....and FAMILY! Drives me crazy....yes Pun Intended!

May 23 - 07:41 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

You should read Armond White's review, which contrasts F&F6 with IM3 (which he trashes) and turns the whole thing into an anti-Obama rant. Sample line: ?This is what we do!? improves on President Obama?s expedient ?That?s not who we are.?

May 23 - 07:56 PM

Al Pi

Al Pi

The master troll has been expunged from RT...let's not let him creep back in please.

May 23 - 10:10 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

May 23 - 07:56 PM

Al Pi

Al Pi

May 23 - 10:10 PM

Premo Beat

John Noto

Your second sentence is ironic when taking the first into consideration.

May 23 - 07:58 PM

ChanandelerBong

Chandler Bing

I wish this comment section had an upvote option sir!

May 24 - 07:42 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

clicking "like" . . . you're one sharp guy John Noto

May 24 - 09:50 AM

pastehim

trent dorkmen

Hnagover was boring after the first DVD viewing the second one was flat out stupid, not funny stupid just stupid. I like the FF stuff only because it got another Riddick movie made.

May 23 - 07:58 PM

Giovanni Chambers

Giovanni Chambers

I'm not a big fan of the series, but Fast and Furious is a must see for me. Fast 5 was a pretty good action movie, and I was glad after I realized that it was getting good reviews at first. Now that the 6th installment is getting exactly the same rating as the 5th one, I know what to expect from it. Less racing, more action, better character development, and a simple but good plot is just what the movie needs.

I'm not too crazy about Hangover part 3, and I knew it was going to get negative reviews. The trailer didn't do anything to convince me into seeing it. Todd Philips might've changed the movie different from the previous two (The first one was hilarious. The second one, although started off ok, didn't do any justice for me), but I guess it seems like it didn't work. I might as well wait till it comes out on netflix.

The animation for Epic looks pretty nice, but I never was fully interested in knowing more about it.

May 23 - 08:32 PM

Jon Cox

Jon Cox

seeing 'Fast and Furious 6' and 'Epic'
skipping 'Hangover Part III', I'm disappointed with Todd Phillips, he should have left the 1st movie alone

May 23 - 09:10 PM

Dave J

Dave J

I think one of the major problems with the second and perhaps this third "Hangover" films is that as each film continues Todd Philips begins to have less creative control since if any of it's main characters didn't like something or someone for that matter- they can ask him to change it and do something else instead! I think viewers saw this happening when Philips initially wanted to include Mel Gibson for a brief cameo for number 2, and that one of it's cast members didn't want that to happen forcing Phillips to "adapt" to what the actors want instead of what Todd Phillips himself want! This is a prime example of the amount of power actors can have over a script!

May 24 - 12:58 PM

Al Pi

Al Pi

May 23 - 10:10 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast