• R, 1 hr. 30 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Fast Times At Ridgemont High Reviews

Matthew Samuel M

December 9, 2013
It's certainly flawed, however, Sean Penn gives a bravura performance and the film has ample nostalgic charm and humor to entertain. It is, however, nowhere as near touching or deep as John Hughes' The Breakfast Club and Pretty Pink which manage to capture the essence of high school not just through classic clichés, but through atmospheric cinematography and messages that transcend the basic "growing up is tough." The film ultimately, despite being relatable, doesn't accomplish a whole lot.
Alice S

September 13, 2012
LOL funny but not terribly memorable. I find young Jennifer Jason Leigh's moonface utterly forgettable (unlike her adult jagged little pill face), but she does well when she tells Damone, "No. Take that back," after he accuses her of wanting sex more than he did. My favorite character would have to be Brad, played by the Honorable Judge Reinhold. He's a doofy but supportive older brother who gets some great dad-ish lines, "Learn it. Know it. Live it."
Market Man
Market Man

August 3, 2012
Spicoli is great and some of the scenes are funny, yet I found it difficult to get into this film. Maybe it's because it lacks a story. Instead it studies the life of high school kids, and for that it's entertaining. It's similar to "Dazed and Confused", just a different era.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

April 11, 2012
One of the key teen comedies of the 80's is a definite must see for fans of 80's cinema. Although not as knee slapping hilarious as other teen comedy films, this film is still a terrific comedic gem of the 1980's. This film has set the standard for many Teen comedies that would follow in the subsequent years. There's some good gags on-screen, the cast is terrific and though at time the film shows its imperfections, for the most part it succeeds at being an entertaining film. Although not as memorable as many John Hughes comedies, this is nonetheless a very good film that has some very funny moments. Fast Times At Ridgemont High is a film that is in the same category as The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, it's a film that brought the Teen comedy into the public eye, and was the first of its kind to really be a memorable viewing experience for its viewers. Sure the film isn't perfect, but it manages to be funny, dramatic and lot of fun that its faults are minimal. The film is lots of fun from start to finish and is one of those timeless teen comedies that still stands the test of time after all these years. If you're looking for a memorable comedy that will bring out the teen in you, then this is your film. Fast Times At Ridgemont High is a classic film that is among the best teen oriented comedy films of the 1980's. A very enjoyable film that is pure fun and a must see for fans of classic 80's teen comedies.
KJ P

September 25, 2010
This film helms one of the highest reputations in teen film history. It is the spark of many of it's actors careers. From stoned surfers, to sex crazed teenagers, to love, "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" is one great big teen flick that I will always have the fun pleasure of watching. It truly shows what teen life was like in the early 80's; awesome music, finding love, and living a care-free life. You actually feel like you have the same emotions all of these characters do and by the end of the film, you just hope everything turns out the way they want it to. I mean, the plot is very thin, going on not much of story, but rather creating an atmosphere of high school life. I had so much fun watching this film and I would gladly watch it many more times. It's nothing very original, but oddly, it is quite memorable. "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" definitely gets in the laughs within it's short 90 minute span and the Hard R-rating definitely shows in the final product. Everything about this film screams 80's. Very fun movie!
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

July 8, 2009
Fast Cars, Fast Girls, Fast Carrots...Fast Carrots?

Good fun movie. An 80's classic with all the typical high school happenings. In this film you cann see a whole lot of young hollywood stars which made it big and other who didn't. Even Nicholas Cage made a cameo in this film when he still went as his original birth name Nicholas Coppola, he later changed his name so he can grow in the acting business and not be overlook in the Coppola family business.

Follows a group of high school students growing up in southern California, based on the real-life adventures chronicled by Cameron Crowe. Stacy Hamilton and Mark Ratner are looking for a love interest, and are helped along by their older classmates, Linda Barrett and Mike Damone, respectively. The center of the film is held by Jeff Spicoli, a perpetually stoned surfer dude who faces off with the resolute Mr. Hand, who is convinced that everyone is on dope.
cosmo313
cosmo313

April 16, 2007
This film has quite a reputation, but you know what? It's pretty overrated. Oh yeah, it's entertaining, but I always thought there was more to this movie than there really is, and that it was far more epic or something. Instead, it is funny and entertaining, but underwhelming. I think the style is to blame.

The film follows a group of high school students over the course of a school year, focusing on three main storylines in particular. It's got a very loose episodic feel to it, and, even though I like that sort of thing occasionally, it didn't really work for me here. The film feels a little too jumbled and sporadic. Maybe it should have been more clear with the passage of time ot more tightly focused or something. I think they could have just followed one of these characters more, then restricted the rest to less focus. That could have been better. Instead, the film tries to do a bit much, but given the running time, everything becomes rushed.

I can look at this film nostalgically, as it was before my time, but I can appreciate it as camp or kitsch, and on that level, it's pretty damn fun. Part of the time. There are some dips into serious territroy, and I think they do work for the most part. I'm not like Ebert who called this film mysoginistic and a scuzz pit (or something). The film does sport a (now) very very notable cast, and the performances are really good, especially from scene stealers Sean Penn and Ray Walston. Cates, Leigh, and Reinhold all do quite well also.

I was a bit disappointed that this film didn't quite live up to all the hype,but it does capture the times pretty decently, and there are some good moments and laughs, plus I was never bored, so yeah. Give this one a shot, bud.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

May 6, 2007
Honest, raunchy and hilarious, but more essentially, one of the best high school comedies ever made. I don't think I've ever seen so many great characters in one and the same comedy. The dialogue is superb, the acting spot-on and it's incredibly fun to see actors like Sean Penn, Nicolas Cage and Forest Whitaker at such a young and rebellious age. Not to mention Jennifer Jason Leigh, who really stole my heart in this one. A true 80's classic!
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 5, 2011
Spicoli: "What Jefferson was saying was, Hey! You know, we left this England place 'cause it was bogus; so if we don't get some cool rules ourselves - pronto - we'll just be bogus too! Get it?"
Fast Times At Ridgemont High is the best teen comedy ever made and one of the best comedies period. Sean Penn really shines in an early role as Spicoli. He is hilarious, especially when he's on screen with Mr. Hand(Ray Walston). The scene where Spicoli orders pizza is one of the best. The rest of the cast does really well also. Judge Reinhold and Jennifer Jason Leigh are very good as a brother sister combo. Robert Romanus is good as the jackass that every school has. Then there's really small roles for people who would go on to be huge stars such as Forest Whitaker and Nicholas Cage. The movie also features a great soundtrack.
Spencer S

December 9, 2008
Of all the teenage 80's high school romps, this is one of the best examples of commercialism within the trends of high schoolers, frivolity of sex and their consequences, and the views of adolescents during a political crisis. Put that all aside and all anyone remembers are the multitude of women's breasts. Full of iconic moments in film history, Fast Times exceeds at developing full fledged characters, with somewhat unrealistic qualities, and yet enjoyable and entertaining antics. From Spicoli vs. Mr. Hand, to Stacy's romantic escapades, to the breakdown of Brad being a free man, I was never disenchanted by these vulnerable youth. Good to watch in an 80's marathon with friends.
Alexander W

March 27, 2011
This is a great step back into the 80s. Gives a real cool feel for life before internet access, mobile phones, and all the problems that go with. This is what movies were for, communication amongst peers. The music and list of actors and actresses are great. When I see movies like this I just step into a dream world where all my problems are dissolved.

The story is woven between several smaller stories that all include students from the same year. Each actor and actress brings something different to the screen and its all pretty educational too.

If you want an 80s movie to watch. Then give this a go. Its great fun.
erika250
erika250

October 25, 2010
This had a weak plot and not good acting.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
A classic teen drama/comedy, if you like 80s teen movies or just teen movies in general you have to see it. Not only is it hilarious, but the drama is realistic too. I really like this movie.
EightThirty .

November 10, 2010
10/11/2010 (TELEVISION)Old-school flick that I caught on TV the other night. I would say that this would of been, or was a controversial flick in its time regarding teen independence with sexualized associates and lots of money.Interesting to compare these days with those days, I use to think when I was little that the kids on this movie were pretty bad but now... it's nothing compared to my generation, the generation that followed and the kids of today.Anyway, another backtrack flick I got to see. I do say though that it beats the teen flicks they make today!
Dan S

October 14, 2007
A fun, often hilarious take on high school life in the 80's and how several different teenagers struggle to cope with sexuality, friendship, and classes together. While it does feature its fair share of corny acting, this movie is definitely carried by Sean Penn's legendary stoner-slacker performance which is just absolutely side-splitting. This film is like the 80's version of "Superbad", and it does a fair enough job making you care about some of the characters that get involved in less than respectable situations. Without a doubt a re-watchable movie thanks to its tight running time, good feel for 80's culture, and iconic lead character.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

September 8, 2010
4 stars
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

August 16, 2010
Definitely had its good moments. I really liked Judge Reinhold, his character and his acting. And Sean Penn was quite good; the interactions with him and the teacher, made me wish I had more gusto in high school. However I found it REALLY over dramatized. So much sex to the point of trashy, really.
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 19, 2008
A must see teen film. It shows us all how teens act in high school. Jennifer & Phoebe were of course very cute in this & Sean Penn gave a great portrayal as the stoner & who could forget Mr. Hand. I also thought Brad & Rat were soooo cute & Damone was a asshole. Don't make the mistake I did & never watch this again because some parts could come off as too raunchy give it another shot & you'll love it & the music that was featured! Thank god for On Demand lol :) I really enjoyed this 80s classic & you will too! :)
Lewis C

March 22, 2010
"In Ridgemont? We can't even get cable TV here, Stacy, and you want romance."

I have a budding appreciation for the 80's. I was just a wee tyke during the later part of that decade, so I don't remember anything about those years. But all the teen movies that I've seen have led me to believe it was an awesome and corny time to be an adolescent.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High is one of the iconic movies from that era, and that reputation is richly deserved. It still holds up very well today. It starred younger versions of a bevy of today's biggest stars, like Forest Whitaker and Sean Penn, alongside some of the names that were synonymous with the 80's, like Jennifer Jason Leigh and Phoebe Cates. It's very much an ensemble movie, with a collection of characters and scenarios that range from light-hearted (Penn) to more dramatic (Leigh).

The script was courtesy of the talented Cameron Crowe, who adapted it from a book that he re-entered high school to research as he was writing it. As a result, this wasn't a simple sex romp or teen comedy. Sure, it was pretty funny in parts, but it also dealt with the sometimes heavy issues that teens were wrestling with back then (and are still tackling today). The twists and turns of teenage relationships, unplanned pregnancies, jobs, abortions, and the like, are touched on in a genuine (if simplified) manner. Even so, this movie is a lot more evenly split between comedy and social commentary than The Breakfast Club was, for example.

Movies like Fast Times at Ridgemont High are pretty ageless. It's not a bad idea to give it a viewing if you missed it the first time around. I'm glad that I did.
Conner R

March 9, 2010
How can you not absolutely love this? It does for the 80s what American Graffiti did for the 60s, only I feel it's even better. The multiple story lines are perfect and actually have a relevance to each other. It's also one of the best shot teen movies, making it even more of a time capsule classic. Then there's all the wonderful performances from Sean Penn, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Judge Reinhold. It's a shame there aren't movies that have this feel anymore.