Faster Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
February 27, 2012
Pretty good action film starring The Rock. Despite the formulaic ideas displayed on-screen, this film is pretty entertaining. Although nothing too original, this is still a well executed revenge thriller due in part to Dwayne Johnson's performance. I enjoyed the film for what it was, and despite the fact that it's a film that we've seen many times before, this is still a fun and entertaining film to watch. The film is not perfect and it has its flaws, but nonetheless it's still a worthwhile action, revenge film that is a thrill ride from start to finish. Acting wise, the performances are pretty good considering that the film relies on previously seen ideas. The film possesses some good moments, but as a whole is nothing too special. This is nonetheless a fine little revenge thriller, and if you want a good film to watch that offers mindless thrills, then Faster is the film to watch. The film relies on an old formula, but works well enough. The performances of Johnson and Billy Bob Thornton are what made the film watchable. I liked the film and thought it was a thrilling film from start to finish. As a whole this is a mindless action film that should appeal action buffs. Using a clichéd formula, Faster still manages to be a thrilling film and if you have nothing else better to watch, give this one a shot. This film is not meant to be anything to great, and it succeeds at just being a thrill ride, which is what it is. Faster is straight forward and it succeeds at being an effective and fun action film worth watching despite its imperfections.
½ December 3, 2011
What the hell was this? Dwayne Johnson A.K.A "The Rock" has been one of the few successful entertainer-turned-actor; I jumped into this movie anticipating an electrifying performance by D. Johnson despite a lacking plot. As it pans out, "Faster" lacks in every way, shape, and form. Direction, editing, and cinematography is poor, and the storytelling and screenplay is horrendous. They even tried to put in the worst plot twist ever. What was with all the subplots? It never adds up in the end. You're never invested with its boring subplots but ever more so, it never finalizes in the end. Dwayne Johnson always has a charisma that pops out of the screen but his one-dimensional character chained him down from doing more. Gosh... this movie sucked.
Chiefilms
February 13, 2012
Just look at that movie poster, The Rock is begging you to look at his Johnson. Ridiculous.
January 11, 2011
24/12/2011
Clintus M.
November 15, 2011
Faster marks the return of Dwayne Johnson to action films, and he is all action and practically no talk throughout. He displays a gritty intensity, may be the most singularly focused character in memory. This film is a return to the film noir genre replete with hidden agendas and thirsts for revenge. It's a B-movie with bigger names, much like Mel Gibson's recent Edge of Darkness. As for the rest of the cast, Gugino and Thornton actually act, and I also liked Maggie Grace (Taken and TV's Lost) and the actor playing the Evangelist.

Sure, some subplots and characters don't add up, but the action and story are enjoyable anyway. I frankly was surprised by the final twist, although it seemed preposterous and forced. I've read some of the criticism of this movie, and it may come down to this: which Dwayne Johnson do you prefer? Did you like The Tooth Fairy or Walking Tall/The Rundown more? How about Gridiron Gang, somewhere between the others? I think he performs admirably in the Stallone/Schwarzenegger mold. This is not Shakespeare but a more than decent action/revenge flick.
October 27, 2011
High octane action? I get more high octane action from a bowl of cereal.
½ December 2, 2010
A decent revenge action type of film. It's doesn't beat around the bush, it's quite brutal at times, throw in some fast cars, a quirky hitman, a downbeat cop, you know what to expect from this and it delivers it. It has quite a good supporting cast with a fair few familiar faces, plenty of shoot-outs, fights and the odd car chase or two. A very enjoyable film for your action needs.
September 24, 2011
How about that?? A Dwayne Johnson movie that I rather enjoyed. Now it could have been because he didn't have much to say throuout the entire movie. His part was all fantastic glares, and really decent action. The other bonus of the movie was the role of "The Killer"....Oliver Jackson-Cohen. That role was well played, and definitely an asset here. Billy Bob, however, I wish wasn't in this. I think that he brings down every movie (except Slingblade). All in all a decently done revenge flick!
½ September 14, 2011
A solid action flick all about revenge.
deano
½ November 16, 2009
When a movie called "Faster" and stars Dwayne Johnson as a vengeful vigilante, it feels impolite to complain about what is delivered in terms of characterisation or spirit.
Indeed, here, characters are known only by the shorthand - Driver, Cop, Killer - which you would expect to find in an early script synopsis. And if you tally up the dialogue Driver (Johnson), as he goes from woe to whoa, you might be able to fill the back of a bar coaster.
But lean and mean is the point, as unusually cold-blooded anti-hero Driver blows away the assholes who killed his bank-robbing brother and sent him to jail. In between fights, there's much flexing of tattooed muscles, and fishtailing in a muscle car.
In the real world, such displays of machismo would surely tip off enemies to his plans and draw every nearby law enforcer. But no such logic slows Faster, as it ricochets through scenes, dragging Billy Bob Thornton and Carla Gugino along with its sheer velocity. Director George Tillman Jr. always keeps us interested in his sharply staged showdowns.
June 24, 2011
I love Dwayne Johnson. Hey, he's from my island, what can I say. I do wish they'd stop calling him The Rock. That was then, this is now. He really honed his acting skills in the pro wrestling ranks, amazingly enough. He's definitely becoming a better and better actor. Billy Bob Thornton . . . good job for once. You can only rest on your Slingblade laurels for so long, dude. I do love it when you get killed in movies, though. The earlier, the better. Yup, a Dwayne Johnson movie will almost never get lower than three stars from me.
May 4, 2011
It took me two days to watch this total borefest. It doesn't have nearly enough action and has trouble deciding whether it is a drama or an action film. Not recommended.
cosmo313
January 25, 2011
Just note that I'm very close to bumping this one up an extra half star. Letter gradewise, it's like a C+ and half, maybe three-quarters.

Doing the above was not what I fiugred I'd be doing, but this film had me surprised at times. It's actually quite well made, stylish, and actually has some cinematic qualities to it. Underneath the surface, there's actually something to all of it, keeping the film from being totally artless. This sounds weird, but in a way this seemed a bit like an art film to an extent.

The first half is really solid, and is what elevates things. The second half slips some, and starts to unravel, but not quite enough for things to completely fall apart. The film, in a contemporary way, had a very 70s or even noirish quality to it at times, which I why i feel compelled to give it some praise. There's nothing extremely original going on, but they are done competently.

I didnt like all the choices that were made. The script is a little weak, some stuff could have been a little better fleshed out, and a twist comes up that wasn't too surprising, but kind of worked, and right after, the film does something fairly dark and ballsy...but then a bit backs off with a reversal lessening the impact. That didn't kill it for me, but I feel like if you're gonna push some boundaries, you should commit and stick with it.

Billy Bob's hair is ridiculous, but the rest of his character's look is cool, and I like his performance. Johnson is also really good, and almost literally is the definition of "strong silent type". The Preacher character is also really good, and the way that character is handled is better than it needed to be/expected.

One nice touch I need to point out is a certain needle drop. "What Condition My Condition Was In", as soon as it came up, had my attention. I liked its usage, although it would have had far more impact had I not already experienced it's more inspired usage in The Big Lebowski. At least it hasn't become overplayed, though.

All in all, this is just a somewhat better than average revenge film, but it came close to being more than that. The title isn't very good, and rather misleading since this is actually more of a slow burner (that's a good thing), and some of this just needs some work, but I think Geore Tillman Jr. is a director of promise, and on a rainy day, you could watch a lot worse things than this.
LWOODS04
July 10, 2010
Cast: Dwayne Johnson, Billy Bob Thornton, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Moon Bloodgood, Maggie Grace, Tom Berenger, Carla Gugino, Mike Epps, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Matt Gerald

Director: George Tillman Jr.

Summary: On the very day he's released from a 10-year prison sentence, convicted bank robber Driver (Dwayne Johnson) hits the streets to take revenge on the men who bungled the job that got him busted and his beloved brother killed. But close on Driver's tail are a driven cop (Billy Bob Thornton) on the one hand and a flamboyant contract killer (Oliver Jackson-Cohen) on the other.

My Thoughts: "I was looking forward to a good action flick, and although it brought the action, it lacked a good plot and had very little dialogue. It was a bit of a bore. The script needs some work. You can't depend on just the action. This action movie could have been so much better. I found Oliver Jackson-Cohen's character to be completely cheesy and useless. This has to be one of the laziest performance's I've seen Billy Bob Thornton give. He delivered poorly. Dwayne Johnson does put in a good, quiet, lethal performance, but I guess I just expected more from the film. The movie starts out strong but slowly dies out to a below average action flick. If you decide to pass on this one, I don't think you will be missing out on anything."
CloudStrife84
October 20, 2010
Didn't care much for the story, but action-wise I'd label this as a decent watch. A pretty typical revenge flick with very few surprises. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is set on auto-pilot mode, and I wasn't exactly amazed by the rest of the cast either. All things taken into account though, it was good enough to be worthwhile. Just not something that left me in wonder and awe.
skactopus
½ March 19, 2011
George Tillman Jr. doesn't bring much to the table with Faster, and it shows in the final product.The story is simple and linear, yet effective for an action thriller. So what's the problem? This film doesn't feel much like an action thriller. The 90+ minute story isn't exciting and its almost like watching the characters go through the motions to reach the finale. There is back-story to be heard, but it's just too bad the characters it revolves around are uninteresting or feel out of place.There isn't much praise in regards to the action. Not only isn't there enough for a film of this caliber, but what is there is quick and painless. That's not really good for a movie with a bad guy hunting down other bad guys.There are a number of notable faces throughout, but as previously mentioned, their characters aren't that great. The Rock flies through the picture with minimal dialogue and that works to his advantage. Carla Gugino is one of the few highlights of the film; her talents just end up wasted.By the end credits, Faster just feels like a mediocre film. That's all there is to it.
DreamExtractor
½ March 7, 2011
Im glad Dwayne is back on track, but the movie itself is not
July 23, 2010
A solid and strong movie with a great story that delivers lots of action and drama. Dwayne Johnson gives an explosive and powerhouse performance, The Rock is back and this time as the action hero we always wanted him to be. A great balance between substance in character and a dynamite action hero presence. Billy Bob Thornton is excellent, giving a slick and compelling performance. This is just pure head-bashing non-stop fun. It's an adrenaline-injected action-packed thrill-machine from start to finish. Gun-fights, car-chases, suspense and cool characters, really what more could you want in this movie? A stylish, dark, edgy and wickedly cool action flick. It's hard-edged, totally awesome and everything a kick-ass action movie should be. A relentlessly exciting, heart-pounding and tremendously entertaining movie that delivers and will keep you guessing all the way to the end. A razor-sharp knockout. This film packs lots of heat, style, cool and even more star power. A non-stop action ride worth taking over and over again. An exhilarating and full-throttle edge of your seat action-thriller. It's a great homage to films like Death Wish, No Country For Old Men, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and Unforgiven.
½ March 3, 2011
This showcases The Rock's intensity and brute strength like no other movie he's been a part of. There's no funny business, no compassion and no hesitation in his warpath. While this movie is close from being perfect, it manages to get down that ridiculously cool 70s action vibe that never seems to get old. I felt that this particular story would have benefited a lot by having more ambiguity in the reasoning for The Rock's mission to kill a list of people. However, that could've led to a 45min movie. Really, if you like The Rock even a little, this movie will satisfy your need to smell what he is cookin. Visually it's great and the soundtrack is ridiculously cool.
½ May 16, 2010
"I was wondering when you were gonna show up."

Faster could (and should) have been a fantastic action flick.

The story is simple. A man (Johnson) recently released from prison hunts down and kills some people from his past that are responsible for the death of someone close to him. Thorton and Gugino play two cops on his trail, and Oliver Jackson-Cohen plays a hired killer after Johnson's life, in an odd, throw-away subplot.

The assembled cast is great. Dwayne Johnson has all the charisma and physicality you could want from an action star. Then there's Billy Bob Thorton, who should shine in a movie like this. Carla Gugino could satisfy anyone's craving for mere eye candy, only she's a great actress, too. Jennifer Carpenter gets a brief role that will please Dexter fanboys (like me), Moon Bloodgood has a small part, and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agabe from Lost pops in for a bit, as well. And Maggie Grace doesn't hurt, either, when you're looking to round out the cast with another (sexy) Lost alum.

So what's the problem? It's nothing but irony that a movie titled Faster could be so boring, at times. There are no real action scenes, other than a car chase or two. Most of the fights could be better described as "brief scuffles", and the shoot-outs are basically just Johnson standing at one end of a hallway, while another character stands at the other end, firing away.

I blame the director, George Tillman, Jr. He somehow manages to suck most of the inherent coolness out of the cast and premise. A quick look at his filmography is all it takes to figure out that an action movie like this was probably beyond his expertise. I mean, Roll Bounce? Really? It's great to see African American directors getting opportunities at big movies that aren't pigeon-holed as "black" movies, but Tillman mishandled this one.

Faster is another example of an outmatched director hobbling a movie that had nothing but potential.