• R, 1 hr. 34 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Fat Kid Rules the World Reviews

Jason R

December 5, 2012
One of the more oddball dramedies I have seen in some time. The cast and the story in FAT KID RULES THE WORLD are pretty amazing! Matthew Lillard has carved out a nice career for himself and if this movie is any indication of his talents behind the camera. We may be seeing some good stuff from him in the coming years. Jacob Wysocki is a very talented actor and I hope to see more of him, he made this movie!
June 26, 2013
While nothing that new (unpopular kid starts hanging out with rebel kid who makes him more brave and confident) but its still done well, wysocki is good, doesnt overplay it, oleary may at first seem like a prick, even tho hes helping troy, he still ditches him and steals from him and does drugs, but then i thought that its good that they show that the saving grace or savior to troy isnt perfect, and needs help from him just as much as the other way around, the real standout tho is billy campbell as the dad, hes such a good character, strict but fair, and also compassionate, he never made any stupid decisions, he was def my favorite character, ill be interested to see if matthew lillard directs anything else
May 22, 2013
Who the hell thought Matthew Lillard of all people could direct a damn good movie? I was very iffy on this film for about the first 30 minutes, it felt quite clear that an inexperienced filmmaker was behind the camera, but as the film progressed I found myself becoming more and more absorbed by the story and Lillard's skills really seemed to flourish as the film progressed. The overall story is something we've seen before but the little differences along the way somehow make it a nice change of pace. Like the kid who helps the title character in reality much worse off then him. Fat Kid's father wonderfully played by underrated Billy Campbell is an ex-marine that doesn't fall into the overbearing hard ass mean to be mean role. What makes this film work is its lead performance from Jacob Wysocki. He gives a great performance that is both fearless and funny, Wysocki really isn't afraid to mock himself which is very admirable. Lillard is obviously really passionate about the source material and it shows which makes me curious about his future endeavors.
March 24, 2013
Look at me, I'm all creative because my movie doesn't have a climax, aren't I all indie and artsy fartsy! No...you just suck.
June 19, 2014
Matthew Lillard failed to develop a single likeable character. Both leads failed to earn my sympathy despite pathetic stories. The real problem was that there was no direction for the film, and the plot seemed to move in random direction, and despite being only 94 minutes, it felt like I was sitting through a marathon of poor acting, shoddy directing, and ill-advised writing. A poor attempt at a coming of age film.
June 9, 2014
Tons of heart and in places unexpected. This film excels at building on the real struggles of an incredibly diverse cast. Everyone grows and the film builds into something really special.
May 11, 2014
theres nothing much to be said about the movie, except that it brings out the the smiles in the most expected ways. it tells you a story about a fat uncool kid who is bolstered into coolness by an outside force. pretty run of the mill right? right. understandably thats what the filmmakers were going for and thats exactly what you got. but nowhere in the film you thought the feel-good-ness doesnt make sense. i mean he doesnt get the girl and he doesnt run 500 miles to lose weight. IT IS a success story which makes movie-sense.
January 2, 2014
Solid through and through. Skips over traditional genre ploys and keeps you guessing with characters. A lot of good work in here.
December 20, 2013
Definitely more dramatic than comedic I must say. I was just going through Netflix looking for certain movies and managed to find this Indie flick and was not disappointed!
October 23, 2013
Ok what was the point of the movie really. They couldn't show the fat guy playing and then getting cheered properly. Seriously, what's wrong with people.
October 14, 2013
If you didn't read the book first, then I guess this movie is okay. Unfortunately I DID read the book. The movie sucked. They even changed the name of the character from Curt to Marcus.
August 6, 2013
This is a simple Independent movie. Not quite as funny as it thinks it is. For anyone that can relate to any of the characters I guess it works.
August 4, 2013
A good movie to watch when you're bored. Funny too.
July 3, 2013
Jacob Wysocki is brilliant in this film. He brings to life a charming character that you really care about.
Jason R

December 5, 2012
May 28, 2013
Wysocki rules the world. Good work by Lillard, surprisingly.
May 25, 2013
I didn't really see the point of it. Nice beginning, but the end is not that good.
FilmGrinder S.
May 8, 2013
86%

"Dont fuck with the fat kid!"-Troy Billings (Jacob Wysocki)

I never heard of Wysocki, but he is awesome. I've never seen a military father portrayed as such, in film before and found it refreshing. I wish the concert would have been shown, oh well, the movie still rocked, as does Lillard.