Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead Reviews

January 7, 2015
Not informative, not entertaining, and not even in good taste. This "documentary" is nothing but self-promotion, self-aggrandizement and cynically commercial without offering any insight beyond "Americans eat poorly". However, if you enjoy chatting with people on a diet about how much fatter you are than them, or if you relish the awkwardness of seeing someone on a diet tell a man sitting next to his son at a greasy spoon diner that he'd rather be on a juice diet than die and abandon his children, then you might like this insufferable film. On the other hand, if you want to learn something other than how highly the filmmaker thinks of his own weight loss accomplishments, I would find almost anything else to watch.
½ April 18, 2012
No matter what I can at least say with certainty that this documentary has changed the way I view health and juice fasts. Getting that out of the way, I have a couple of problems with this film. For one, the director of the film has never directed anything else in his life, and he is in fact a highly paid executive. That doesn't take away from his sincerity or the film's actual usefulness as a means to educate. My main problem, I would have to say, is Cross' ignorance and the fact that he doesn't understand what the audience wants to see. The film includes completely stupid and cheesy animation, and a large chunk of it is about himself and his own struggle with weight. Cross isn't all too interesting, though his interviews with the American people really brought about a sense of community and showed that everyone struggles with willpower. Cross also blindly limits the means of obesity to willpower though, which is ignoring the state of the American economy and health care system in this country. It seems that he was simply trying to emulate Super Size Me's message by showing the alternative to a fast food diet. If he hadn't stumbled upon Phil Staples and got him to join his crusade for juicing, this movie would be completely flat and pointless. Phil humanizes the film, because he was a very large individual with bad eating habits and a sedentary job as a truck driver. He had a hard life and turned to food, and he was human and likable compared to Cross' blunt and unlikable presence onscreen. I would even have liked to see Phil further down the line, and let off of Cross for a bit so that could have been accomplished. It really changes the way you look at nutrition, but I'm not going out to preach this involuntary commercial for juicers anytime soon.
February 22, 2012
23/02/2012 (ONLINE)
½ September 12, 2011
Inspired me to want to buy a juicer and start living off fruit and veg juice! That lasted a whole day until I thought about no coffee and no actual food! All the same, this is a movie that really inspires you to look at your diet and think about any prescription medications you may be using which are treating symptoms instead of cause. I found it quite interesting and really admired how this guy found the willpower and determination and then went on to help and inspire others.
½ December 31, 2011
As a film documentary it's cliched and offers nothing new or creative, as an awareness method about the American diet and the way we treat our bodies it is an eye opener. While juicing might not be right for everyone it most certainly makes you analyze and try to fix what you put in. The film details Joe Cross and his journey from 310 pounds and pumped full of medications to a 200 pound healthy and active guy. After this transformation Joe also helps another man he met in the United States who has the same medical condition as he used to and helps him lose over 250 pounds as well! The film is very human and quite emotional, especially when we meet Phil (the truck driver) and see how lonely and miserable he is. Overall the documentary is one worth watching and more importantly acting upon!
July 31, 2013
This documentary inspired me to make changes to my life, so I can be a healthier and better father. I have always been a pizza and burgers guy, with a large coke, and a DQ Blizzard on the side. Basically, I have never really watched how much or what I was eating and that's the main reason why I hit 242lbs (I'm 5'10) at age 26. I felt fat, sick, and on my way to a shorter life.

What this documentary showed me was that you don't have to stop eating the things you love for the rest of your life to stay healthy. As long as you eat those foods occasionally and in moderation. Also by making fruits and vegetables a large part of your daily diet, you can live a happier and more fulfilling life.

Since watching this documentary, I have doubled down my vegetable intake and cut pop and other sweets out almost completely. I do love pop, so that has been a hard one for me. Unfortunately I don't like diet, so I'm basically an addict who falls off the wagon occasionally. I have also tried juicing a meal a day as a substitute for an actual meal. I am planning a 7 day all juice diet here soon to really kick some pounds and fill my body with some much-needed nutrients. But for now I have lost weight and am currently sitting at.... 229lbs.

Beyond the inspiration, the film is a great watch. Joe Cross and Phil Staples make life saving changes and show you what hard work and strong self-discipline can do. Just amazing.
March 25, 2013
Great documentary! Go rent it on Netflix or Amazon - heartfelt and real - not clinical and boring like most documentaries.
February 10, 2013
One man's journey through sickness inspires thousands of people. This is both a feel good documentary and an advertisement for the Breville juicer!
February 1, 2013
Yes, it is, "Cliche," and the animations are kind of cheesy, but it's the message of this documentary that is so important. We are literally killing ourselves with the food we eat. I thoroughly enjoyed this eye opening and life challenging movie. Highly recommend.
September 13, 2012
Makes you want to own a juicer.. but when you do the math and realize how expensive it is to juice your food... it makes you think twice.
½ December 1, 2011
I've been interested in juicing a while but recently my brother and his partner inspired me to finally get moving with it. They recommended this film to me and on the night before I started my 60 day juicing reboot I decided to give it a shot. Well I'm definitely happy i watched it. It helped to clear up a lot of myths I had about the procedure and such. But it left me with more than a few questions that I had to research on my own. They neglected to tell you how many glasses of juice you should drink every day and if you could take medication while your juicing, etc. Not that they should have. After all it is a documentary film not an infomercial. That being said it's represented in a fairly generic fashion but is effective because of the subject matter. It is an inspiring film but I wish they could have developed the journey a bit more and with more of an emotional angle. I did appreciate a lot of the information on screen but felt that their was a slight kiddish aspect to it. Now maybe I will feel better after I start juicing and am being cynical. But as a documentary I would have hoped they would have touched on many more aspects of the material he was exploring instead of just a cultish type of execution that leaves everything gleaming with a big smile. Regardless of the flaws from a critical angle the film is an important one and should be seen by anyone looking to better themselves. 3.5/5
July 6, 2012
One of the most entertaining documentaries I've ever seen. Whether or not you buy into the hype, it's interesting throughout, even when the star changes from an Australian stockbroker to a truck driver from semi-rural Iowa.
May 28, 2012
Joe Cross, a venture capitalist from Australia, and Phil Riverstone, a long-haul truck driver from America are the focus of this movie about the obesity epidemic occurring in both countries. Joe from Australia takes a sabbatical to the United States to separate himself from his lifestyle and tour the US while on a mission to get himself healthy and escape the obesity and food addiction that has taken control of his life and messed up his immune system to the point that it‚(TM)s attacking him. His plan is to confront his addictions by doing it in America: the junk food capital of the planet!

On his journey, Joe interviews people across America who seemingly all have the same shocking confession; they would rather eat the junk they are feeding themselves daily instead of buying themselves more life with friends and family by just adding non-processed foods and exercise to their diet. One man Joe meets in Arizona is desperate for help; a morbidly obese truck driver who just happens to share the same rare auto-immune condition that Joe had been suffering from. Eventually in desperation, Phil takes up Joe on his offer for help and calls Joe in Australia after Joe had returned from his trip.

Phil joins Joe on his strict method of weight reduction and detoxification; drinking nothing but blended fruits and vegetable juices for 60 days.

The movie is horrifying (people‚(TM)s real lifestyle and circumstances slavery to food addiction), fascinating (the science behind the method of dieting used), and inspirational (both men make a real and drastic change in their lives).

The interesting thing about the film is the unexpected turn of Joe meeting Phil. It basically cuts the movie in two, veering from Joe‚(TM)s documentary premise and mission to helping Phil via phone from the other side of the world as Phil becomes so empowered buy his progress that he leaves the truck and really changes everything about the life that took him from a handsome and athletic competitive swimmer to depressed couch blob.

Because of this sudden bifurcation of the movie, the documentary has more than what was planned to cover in Joe‚(TM)s trip and perhaps sometimes over-simplifies Joe‚(TM)s part of the film. I personally wanted more about how he adjusted to the new diet physically and against his personal food addictions. But I suppose this is made up by Phil‚(TM)s story...Particularly made painful by watching Phil at a family 4th of July BBQ.

The movie almost sometimes starts to feel like a commercial for ‚juicing.‚? But that along with exercise is all these guys did to change themselves. The folks they interview think they are both crazy for doing it and yet inspired enough by the changes they see to try it for themselves. And then there‚(TM)s a situation with Phil‚(TM)s obese brother that is a bit of a ‚nick of time‚? situation that adds some sudden drama to the movie.

I would certainly love to see a follow-up film done for these guys. A recommended documentary on America‚(TM)s biggest health crisis; processed foods.
May 27, 2012
Like "Super Size Me" except in reverse. The two gentleman who go all in with the juicing diet do quite well. What's more amazing that the two success stories are the dozens of fat slobs who openly admit on camera that they just assume to die young rather than even *try* to eat healthy.
½ February 29, 2012
This movie has inspired me to lose at least those 50 pounds my cardiologist told me that if I lost he would take me off of half my medications! What an inspirational feel good movie! I now am thinking of buying a juicier and getting my girlfriend to join me :)
February 28, 2012
I found this film to be very inspiring. The main message being portrayed throughout the film was surrounding America's failing health and eating habits. Cross' reaction to this was his 60 day juice fast. It is within this film where the statistics are shared that the average American's diet consists of only five percent fruits and vegetables. It was this piece of information that really drove home a little self motivation in my own eating habits. Cross's goal in creating this documentary was to increase that by another five percent bringing the average to ten percent.

I will admit that after viewing this film, I felt a little self motivated to go out and buy myself a juicer. One thing that I think the documentary did not touch much on was the cost of this 60 day juice fast for Cross. It is evident that processed foods have become the cheap means of eating within America today. I would be interested in seeing the facts when comparing the cost of meals consisting of partial processed foods to meals consisting of juiced fruits and vegetables.

I do believe that Cross' goal will hit home within the lives of most viewers as they make an effort to increase their consumption of fruits and vegetables. This documentary, without a doubt, provides a first hand experience and addresses the importance of taking responsibility for your own health.
January 31, 2016
Have you ever had a friend who discovers a new diet, and suddenly they're ALL about it? Every conversation you have with them turns to their diet, and they start judging your lifestyle and food choices? Take that and stretch it over 1 1/2 hours, and that's the experience of watching Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead.

Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead is less a documentary and more a feature-length infomercial for juicing. Joe, the main character, decides to go on a 60-day cleanse, then proceeds to drive around the United States having condescending conversations with overweight Americans about their nutrition. There's a little bit of science thrown in for credibility sake, but that takes a hard backseat to the film's unchallenged claim that juicing is the revolution that mankind needs to be healthy.

The problem is, the film is no interest in addressing any of the criticisms of juicing, which most nutritionists think is pseudoscience at best and dangerous and detrimental to your health at worst . This film never mentions any doubts or critiques of the approach, it's sole intent is to sell you a product to the point where there is even an invitation in the credits to visit Joe's website to start your own Reboot (with a capital R).

If you want a documentary that tackles obesity with any sort of depth, skip this flick.
½ January 29, 2016
glad i got a juicer!
January 11, 2016
Slightly motivating, but after 90 minutes, I still don't really understand the difference between macronutrients and micronutrients, other than that micronutrients are better and are found in all of the foods I avoid.
½ September 7, 2015
It made me purchase a juicer.