Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Reviews

June 22, 2015
It's visually appealing and has Depp and Del Toro at their craziest, however that's all that is carrying the film. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is wildly senseless and the plot is just as hallucinating as the symptoms of this drug-induced tirade. 2/5
June 24, 2012
Into and/or in search of the heart of the American dream, Raoul Duke(Depp) and his attorney(Del Toro) take a road trip to Las Vegas from Los Angeles where sportswriter Duke(Hunter S. Thompson) is to cover some races in the desert. Loaded up with large quantities of just about every illegal drug, alcohol and even grapefruit for an experience worthy of writing about. Add an invitation from the national conference of district attorneys to attend a four day seminar on narcotics and dangerous drugs and it makes things that much more interesting. This means loads of cops and from all over which just means there will be more to write about. Let's just not worry about the paranoia, it's all part of the journey here.
Basically, it's an out of control experience of running on mescaline, LSD, speed, cocaine, large quantities of alcohol among other intoxicants turning Duke and Dr. Gonzo into complete madmen in a town that never sleeps. So you'd gather that it would be a rather bad trip, and you'd be right. But when it comes to "Gonzo Journalism", you do what it takes to get a story, whatever it may be; even if it is a story of no importance.
"Uppers are no longer stylish. Methedrine is almost as rare, on the 1971 market, as pure acid or DMT. "Consciousness Expansion" went out with LBJ...and it is worth noting, historically, that downers came in with Nixon."
Hunter S. Thompson
October 1, 2012
The visuals and general creativity continue to develop and thrive throughout, its a shame the story and characters don't.
½ December 25, 2006
Hunter S. Thompson's semi-autobiographical novel and essay on the emptiness of the American dream in post sixties Las Vegas is brought to life by Terry Gilliam in a way very few could've managed; his mixture of lurid visuals, surreal humour and celebration of the grotesque captures its spirit perfectly. It's long been one of my favourite books and this is exactly how I pictured it in my head as I read it. Johnny Depp nails Thompson and is spot on as the drug-addled outsider who sees himself as an alien in his own country, providing some very insightful commentary on the America of those times. Benicio Del Toro is also fantastic as his Samoan sidekick and it's hilarious to see the pair of them crashing through "polite society" without the slightest regard for acceptable, conventional behaviour. With cameos from the likes of Christina Ricci and Harry Dean Stanton, the cast is to die for there are loads of funny lines and physical humour that'll make anyone who has had one too many (of anything!) laugh and cringe knowingly at the same time. Capping it off there's also a superb soundtrack of the greatest music of that period. Those looking for a coherent plot will be disappointed, but that's the nature of the beast; deeply sick and occasionally hilarious, it's America's answer to Withnail & I.
April 20, 2011
'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' is never an easy movie to watch. It's trippy, haunting, and all-together off-putting. The performances are actually great from Depp and Del Toro, but the script is just too strange and bland to stimulate any real entertainment value. It's just one drug-induced sequence after another, and most of the time it feels so pointless and wasted.
Mark Beckford
May 31, 2012
Interesting to see Johnny Depp in a bizarro movie before Pirates of the Caribbean and a near reprisal (with hair) in The Rum Diary, but it would have been much more believable if he didn't have that cigarette holder in his mouth the entire movie (albeit an ironic critique, given the movie's overall plot/content). But any movie about Vegas, having been to Vegas so many times, makes one nostalgic regardless.
June 1, 2012
January 31, 2011
Raoul Duke: The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

"Four days, Three nights, Two Convertibles, One City."

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is easily the most perfect adaption of a book ever done. I can't think of a movie that captures everything about the book like this one does. Terry Gilliam was obviously the perfect choice for directorial duties. Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro could not be better in their drugged out, over the top performances that the source material called for. Most importantly, it's Hunter S. Thompson, enough said.

I've read a lot of Thompson's work(Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail, The Rum Diary, Hell's Angels, etc.), but Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas has always been my favorite. I've probably read ten times by now and it just never gets unfunny. That is exactly how I feel about the movie too. It just doesn't get unfunny. The reason, Deep's portrayal of Thompson. It is perfect in every way. If you haven't read the book, you'll probably think it is a little too over the top, but it really couldn't be more on the money.

Basically this movie is a man and his attorney in Las Vegas, where he is supposed to be covering a race. They bring a lot of drugs and are out of their minds all the time and begin to get extremely paranoid. The plot is all over the place when there is one. But if you've ever done drugs, you know that shit isn't straightforward when you're on them. Paranoia and hallucinations don't follow a plot line. They do whatever the fuck they want.

This is probably the best pure drug movie you can see. I say "pure drug movie" because it isn't about addiction or rehabilitation. This is like Cheech and Chong, but add more narcotics and hallucinogens, plus a lot funnier situations and actors. I would say this is a must see for Thompson fans, but every Thompson fan has already seen it twenty times.
½ December 27, 2011
Truly capturing the bizarre yet philosophical world of Hunter S. Thompson, director Terry Gilliam along with stars Johnny Depp (one of his absolute best performances) and Benicio del Toro deliver one of the most visually hypnotic experiences I've seen in some time. Definitely not for everyone though!
January 22, 2007
Gilliam + Hunter S. Thompson + Depp + Del Toro = cinema magic. Gilliam's work is always troublesome and difficult to swallow for some, but this is just a masterpiece. Along with Brazil, this is probably his all around best work. It's incredibly surreal and stylistic, not to mention completely mad. It's also fun seeing the cameos of different people pop up in it. There's not much else to say other than that. Those who've seen it understand and those who haven't, what are you waiting for?! :)
½ October 25, 2011
A very strange film, unlike any other I've ever seen. It grabs and regardless if you want to or not, you are in Thompson's world. Johnny Depp and Del Toro are brilliant.
½ December 2, 2008
one thing i realized watching it recently is just how great the supporting actors are. Craig Bierko, whoever he is, makes a good dickheaded photographer. Gary Busey as a hick cop. Richard Riehle, who stunned audiences worldwide in Mysterious Skin with an unexpected turn as "old pederast who blows Joseph Gordon Levitt in a hotel room and spits his cum out in the sink". Chris Meloni is mesmerizing as a bellboy who lisps his own name.
½ August 24, 2011
One of the oldest and greatest cult movies of all time I cannot say I do not like it but over the years I feel it has gathered rather a large ego and one that I feel dissipates its original vibrancy. Still I have the poster on my wall and Hunter S. Thompsons words in my heart.
July 15, 2011
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is one awesome adaptation of Hunter S. Thompson's classic drug culture novel of the same name. Director Terry Gillam conjures up a film that captures the crazy, intense vibe of the novel. Johnny Depp is the perfect choice to play Raoul Duke (based on Hunter S. Thompson) and Benicio Del Toro is intense in his role of Dr Gonzo. The best way to describe this film is that it's very bizarre, eccentric and it's in your face. What I love about the film is that it's very over the top, and it keeps the source material of the book intact. Yes, there are thing were slightly changed, but for the most part, the film delivers something quite memorable. As a person that has read the book, I can honestly say that this film stays true to the book and that fans of the book will be pleased at what Terry Gilliam has done with this adaptation of Thompson's literary classic. The acting is solid and Gilliam couldn't have picked a better cast to play these parts. The top notch truly delivers on screen and they're each memorable in their own way. Many people will despise the film, but those who enjoy something thats eccentric or enjoys the work of Hunter S. Thompson, should definitely check out this unforgettable cult classic.
September 4, 2007
I dont fully get this movie.
It isnt an enjoyable movie for me mainly becuase i jst just dont get it.
I dont really enjoy watching a bunch of layabouts getting wasted on drugs so i just find these extremely boring.
½ May 27, 2011
A surrealist portrait, characters lost and visually innovative, a ride to a psychdelic, coloful and Las Vegas from Hunter S. Thompson. Fear and Loathing is great. Fresh.
March 22, 2011
A puzzlingly misguided - but also visually trippy - exercise with rather uninspired performances from the cast.
October 19, 2007
It's visually unbelievable and quite funny, but everything is so redundant and lacks humanity that I went from being completely astonished to being completely dazed (not in a good way) and ended up not caring at all about what I was watching.
½ January 8, 2011
I can't believe it. They did it. They faithfully adapted Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas into a film. Its one thing too simply base your movie off of a book, its another for the movie to be almost verbatim to the book. The result is something ultimately horrifying, a very VERY savage look at how insane people can get and what they'll do in the name of the American dream. But no matter how faithful a screenplay is, you need an actor to play the one, the only, Raoul Duke. Thankfully, Johnny Depp has nailed the part and is almost indistinguishable from Hunter S. Thompson (there's a very funny cameo that proves this point). Most people classify this as a dark comedy, I don't know if I would call it that, I don't know if you can really classify it as anything. There isn't a genre for pure insanity is there?