Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Reviews

May 15, 2015
One of Depp's top performances. Too hilarious.
March 19, 2016
For as old as it is, the visuals are surprisingly stunning, Johnny Depp and Benico Del Toro are both odd and funny in this acid trip of a movie. Cameos by Toby Maguire and Gary Busey are downright hilarious, but the plot is a incoherent mess. I suppose that's appropriate, considering the state the two leads are in for most of the film though. Hard to follow but undeniably funny and odd in a good way, Fear and Loathing is a good time watching.
½ March 31, 2016
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas centers around the life of controversial journalist Raoul Duke based on Hunter S. Thompson and his lawyer Dr. Gonzo. The plot tells the tale of Duke as he balances journalism with a problematic drug benge through California on his way to an anti-drug conference in Las Vegas. The film's main conflict surrounds our main character's inabilities to stay off highly potent drugs such as LSD and mescaline just to name a few. Covering news seems to be an afterthought throughout as the film focuses on their outlandish interactions with the people of Las Vegas, strangers and freaks alike. The allusion to the 70s is widely seen through the use of psychedelic drugs that have them imagining some of the most ridiculous and deplorable things. However, it is hard to care much about their characters because there is little to no character development in favor of trippy escapades. The film could be explored under the archetype of the journey as the main characters are on a mission to interact with sin city and often get lost and distracted from their main quest to report news but eventually find themselves in intriguing ways. However, there does not seem to be much rhyme or reason for the activities in the film, Duke and Gonzo are ranging addicts who are incessantly counting down the minutes until they can inject their next fix of highly potent drugs. As I watched the film I found it hard to care about how it would be resolved but rather when it would end as it took over-the-top filmmaking to a new level. The soundtrack and environment gave it a vintage 1970s vibe but Duke and Gonzo were nauseating to watch and were paper thin characters. It seems that the moral/social commentary of the film had something to do with the demonization of drug culture and a critique on the war on drugs as a highly problematic campaign. The central thread of the film was elementary at best and the editing and cinematography may have been the lone positives in a debauchery filled and aimlessly centered flick. While watching it I had to ask myself whether Depp was displaying good acting or was actually under the influence. I would be placed this film in the category of one of the worst films I have watched and I think it fails in telling an interesting story because of confusing pacing and an over-dramatization of the period and the individuals involved.
½ March 20, 2016
Just drug fueled fun and mayhem. Love this gonzo film and I feel that the lack of plot is actually part of the story. Its about two drugged out friends who are on a trip to cover a motorcycle race in the early 70's Vegas. Considering the state of the two main characters throughout the movie it doesn't really shock anyone that there is no purpose or goal in general. Basically to just continue the bender and survive without being placed in jail. The real genius of this flick is trying to follow the two's tale while seeing sights through their delusional minds mixed in with the actual state of things. Maybe my favorite of Depps flicks, other than the 9th gate.
March 14, 2016
Absolute stupid trash. The "coolness" of taking drugs by Johnny Depp comes across as very immature and uncool. If this is supposed to be autobiographical of Hunter Thompson, it only indicates how much of a loser he was.
May 27, 2011
A surrealist portrait, characters lost and visually innovative, a ride to a psychdelic, coloful and Las Vegas from Hunter S. Thompson. Fear and Loathing is great. Fresh.
½ February 19, 2010
Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Monty Python's Life of Brian - brazil - twelve monkeys - lost in la mancha - The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus -
½ February 21, 2016
The creator of Monty Python took another fun, but not so funny route with this one. The drugged up stupor drags on a little too long at times. Johnny Depp is no Jack Sparrow here.
½ August 1, 2015
The first hour is such madcap fun performed which such conviction and with inventive imagery that it's easy to forgive its lack of narrative, if it's directionless, so what? It's a drug trip on screen. By the second hour, however, things start wear thin and there's a massive come down in entertainment and interest.
February 8, 2016
I honestly don't know what to make of this, but given from this insane film leaving me with no feeling and wondering, "What just happened?" I'll do my best to review it. Johnny Depp and Bencio Del Toro give out some fantastic performances, and their chemistry is really great. It's interesting how crazy and more crazy it can get, and the effects during the drug scenes look really good and they are definitely in a Gilliam style. The characters are repulsive, but enjoyable at the same time. There are some funny parts in it, but there were a lot of moments that I wasn't really sure if it was suppose to be funny. The plot is just there, like it's only about two crazy guys going to different places, doing crazy things. After finishing it, I was pretty much like, "Ok, so that just happened." I enjoy it I guess, and it was pretty much a trippy trip. When Terry Gilliam aid that he wanted Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas to be one of the best films, but also one of the worst ones, I can see that, and it turn out to be more of the middle, but towards the positive.
August 19, 2007
A thoroughly joyless experience. For the first hour of the film, it exudes such manic energy as to become monotonous. Depp and Del Toro deliver their worst performances in what must be the worst film they've ever been in. I know for damn sure that it's the worst Terry Gilliam film I've seen (including "Tideland"). This movie is consistently irritating, painfully monotonous and unfunny. I hate it.
½ January 30, 2016
This film fell far short of the book.Everything came across as a bit forced. Terry Gilliam was the wrong director for this movie.
January 15, 2016
I mean what can I say, A possibly great adaptation of a book I've never read. It stands alone in my opinion when I think about the awesome team Depp and Del Toro made and why haven't seen them together more often. Maybe if they could blend a once upon a time in Mexico and Sicario idea together. Dope. One of my top 5 favorite quotes is from this movie.
½ December 3, 2015
Even Johnny Depp has some pure duds. Sure, Hunter S. Thompson is a strange interesting character in pop culture. Interesting enough to make a movie about ? Not really. For the person who dips and dabbles in psychedelic drugs maybe this movie can be somewhat interesting, IF you happen to be on said drugs at the time of watching this movie. For the average movie watcher though, this is nothing but an abnormal waste of time. Maybe its just me, but watching a feature length film about a bunch of people on a full blown acid trip the entire film is not just annoying, but downright stupid. And I don't even think a different group of actors or writers could have made this movie any better. I think a documentary about Hunter S. Thompson would be sufficient to tell his story. I understand the concept of the movie, pretty much taking you into the mind of someone who is completely strung out on drugs. But the entire movie? come on, it is a bit much if you ask me. Fear and Loathing in the end makes no sense at all. Watching other people trip out on acid is not fascinating at all, especially if you are not tripping out on acid yourself. Its like being a party where everyone is drinking and having a good time and you are sitting in the corner by yourself playing on your phone because you are the designated driver. Sure being the DD is admirable, and there should always be on available, but lets be totally honest, its zero fun. Which is the same with this movie. Johnny Depp has always picked different roles obviously, and a lot of them he has really missed on, and this was one of them.
November 30, 2015
November 30, 2015
Depp Doing his best Nicolas Cage (and that's not a good thing). Visually nice, but that's about it.
May 26, 2015
Revolutionary in its ultra-creative cinematography that depicts the effects of LSD and other mind-bending drugs.
November 1, 2015
If I had seen this in theaters, I may have been tempted to walk out. The soundtrack was the only saving grace.
December 27, 2010
I REALLY WANT TO SEE THIS
September 18, 2015
-IGNORE THIS "OUT OF FIVE" RATING
1/4
Agonizing film version of Hunter S. Thomas much loved book about two buddies and their crazy trip to Vegas. Has a unique visual look, but this movie just goes on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on. Depp gives a strictly one-note performance and holds a cigarette in his mouth the entire time in this never ending acid trip; you have been warned.