Fear Island Reviews

December 30, 2010
A decent straight to DVD thriller/horror as a young woman recounts the events on a small island over a weekend, which lead to the deaths of her friends. There are a few familiar faces in this, and the production value is pretty good for a low budget film. It has a decent plot with a few, fairly predictable twists, but still enjoyable fun nevertheless. More thriller than blood n guts horror, but it kinda just makes it into the slasher category. Check it out!
½ December 31, 2010
wow such a twist at the end, it always makes you think throughout the movie too
June 20, 2012
For some odd reason I like things that take place on deserted islands. J.J. Abrams has showed us that there are so many ways to go and that the possibilities are endless, but to be honest I didn't expect much from this film. As it turns out, Haylie Duff isn't a bad actress and Fear Island wasn't a bad movie! This film was exciting, engaging, smart, and pretty well written. Many parts of the story, especially the ending were predictable; however it was still a great story. Fear Island is one of those movies you watch because it appears in your instant recommendations and there isn't anything else to watch, so you give it a chance, and what you find is that it's actually a pretty worthwhile film.
½ March 17, 2013
Poorly acted, poorly presented, and completely telegraphed, "Fear Island" has extremely little to offer, in line with every other bottom barrel horror B-movie being squeezed out these days. Haley Duff shows zero control of her emotions and flails through the laughable direction that is thrown her way.
May 31, 2014
TV thriller/horror movie. Wasn't expecting much, but like Haylie Duff and Lucy Hale. The story is told in flashbacks, which is not a device I enjoy often. However, with the twist in this one - which I was not expecting - it couldn't be done any other way. Nothing original, very little spent on effects and yet I don't feel like I wasted my time. Fair enough movie.
May 14, 2011
The acting in this movie was a mess, the story was weak, and the twist ending can be seen from a mile away. There is little to recommend this movie, but there are worse ones out there in the suspenseful horror genre.
November 26, 2013
This movie was amazing! My friend and I were looking for a horror film and we got it! EXCELLENT! A+++
June 17, 2012
A fairly lame slasher film, Fear Island fails because it never features any decent death scenes, never manages to build suspense or creepiness, and its plot twists are all expected at one point or another in the film--it just chooses to go with all of them.
June 11, 2012
I didn't expect much, but I like Aaron Ashmore so I decided to give this a chance. Haylie Duff is not terribly believable in her role and the whole thing is a bit predictable, but despite those things this is a pretty decent teen slasher-type flick. Not a huge standout, but definitely watchable.
January 18, 2012
Pretty good straight to dvd horror movie! Not really scary but its still really good and i think if your home alone this is the sort of movie you should watch!
August 26, 2015
I loved the film and creative thought
June 22, 2015
The story is actually pretty good. Too bad it was ruined by the worst acting of all time. The worst one being the main lead, wow... just ... just horrible. She single handedly ruined the surprise ending with her poor acting.
November 3, 2013
Fear Island (Michael Story, 2009)

IMDB informs me that Fear Island is a made-for-TV film, though they neglect, as usual, to tell me on which station it initially aired. I'm going to take a stab at the Lifetime Movie Network; it's got that feel to it, and it fits with a few of cinematographer Storey's other directorial efforts (Before I Say Goodbye and We'll Meet Again, both part of "The Mary Higgins Clark" collection-though as far as I can tell Ms. Clark had not a blessed thing to do with either). But don't let that feel you into thinking I'm coming down on this monstrosity because I think it's a Lifetime Original Movie-I thought it sucked while I was watching it, days before I discovered it was a made-for-TV affair. Once again, Hillary Duff's older, somewhat less talented sister Haylie got herself a cinematic vehicle, and once again (just in case you missed it, I reviewed Backwoods, which came out the year before, a ways back, with similar results) it's terrible. And I say this as someone who doesn't have anything against the Duff clan in general; Raise Your Voice is one of those guilty-pleasure movies I can't help but watch every time I stumble across it. Fear Island has no chance of getting to that level.

Plot: the usual crop of young-and-beautifuls heads off for a weekend of partying at the island retreat of (presumably, the parents of) Tyler Campbell (A History of Violence's Kyle Schmid) and his brothers Mark (The Shrine's Aaron Ashmore) and Kyle (The Grey's Jacob Blair). Along for the ride: Mark's ex-girlfriend Jenna (Duff), who went on the promise that Mark would not be attending and isn't happy he's along for the ride, Tyler's current girlfriend Ashley (Jessica Harmon from the 2006 remake of Black Christmas), and Megan (Scream 4's Lucy Hale), a mysterious stowaway on the gang's boat who is accepted quickly by the males in the group thanks to her let's-party attitude. The first night goes off relatively without a hitch, but weird things have been happening their entire time there, and as the sun dawns on their second day, the weird factor turns dangerous. Oh, I should mention there's a frame story: As we open, Jenna is in the hospital, the lone survivor of the weekend. Detective Amory (Love Come Down's Martin Cummins) figures Jenna killed everyone else; beautiful-brilliant-stereotypical-psychologist Dr. Chalice (The Thaw's Anne Marie Deluise) believes Jenna's protestations of innocence (and amnesia). The main story is told in flashback, with punctuation scenes of the detective wanting to just shoot her and the doctor trying to get to the bottom of things...

...and you've see it all before, at least a dozen times, always done better than this. I'll give screenwriters Jeff Martel (A Fairy Tale Christmas) and Jack Harry (this is the only writing credit he has at IMDB as of this writing) two things: they have a propensity for coming up with good character names (you'll get what I mean, if you are unlucky enough to see this movie, given the demise of one of the characters) and the one piece of the plot that never quite rings true is handled with much more skill than anything else here-one assumes, in fact, that was the "what if...?" that started the script being written in the first place. Had they handled the rest of it with such care, they might have gotten somewhere-though granted they probably would have needed a casting director who would have resisted casting Haylie Duff. *
August 4, 2013
Its worth a watch but don't expect to be blown away
April 1, 2013
A face in the crowd of hunter slasher films. Decent in a late-night bored way.
½ March 17, 2013
January 6, 2013
Granted that there are quite a few problems in the film, Fear Island is a pretty decent thriller. The story follows a group of friends (plus one stow away) that head to a cabin on a deserted island to have a fun-filled weekend. However, bodies are beginning to pile up with mysterious messages being left everywhere. It's up to the friends to figure out who's committing these heinous crimes before they all end up in body bags. When I started watching this film, I thought about turning it off. The first act just runs two slowly and, while the acting is pretty good, the writing is terrible. However, I decided to stick it out to the end. Fortunately, I did because the second half of the second act and the final act create great suspense and left me on the edge of my seat, wondering what was going to happen next. The story gets a little bit hard to follow as stories and twists are piled up, leaving the viewer confused. Also, there's some continuity issues in the film as well. For example, one character's leg gets shot at with a nail gun and gets three nails stuck in him. Once they get the nails out, he's able to walk perfectly fine with no blood where the nails were. Nevertheless, Fear Island is an entertaining enough thriller to leave the viewer satisfied and leave their jaw gaping by the surprising twist ending.
October 20, 2012
"Fear Island" is actually pretty decent. Yes, it has a lot of the same problems as most modern horror movies, but the actors really give it their all, and you could certainly do a lot worse!
½ November 10, 2012
Only watchable for the hot girls. Just like watching Kristin Stewart in 'Twilight', turn off the volume while watching.
½ October 27, 2012
intriguing but not good acting