Jet Li's Fearless (Huo Yuan Jia) (Legend of a Fighter) Reviews

April 14, 2015
(58%)
A better than decent addition to period far-east martial arts moves comes this offering from legend Jet Li. Films such as this need more than just a couple of good fights to be anything worth a look, and I'm glad to report this has. The plot is basic stuff, yet it's still a well told tale of revenge and regret. The fights themselves are really well done with finely choreographed set-pieces that although push the realms of reality are still very enjoyable to watch. Overall this has all the most important bases covered: it's well made, the performances are good enough, the action works, and this has a compelling plot with a fair amount of soul and passion running through.
March 17, 2015
I thought the movie was incredibly inspirational and carried a deep meaning about discipline and self control...kudos to Jet Li and the rest of the team for making a wonderful movie
½ February 26, 2014
Beautifully choreographed, with some terrific action and solid acting.
March 10, 2009
Yeah, well I'm Fearful. Fearful of yet, ANOTHER Jet li martial arts movie.
January 3, 2015
Yeah, well I'm Fearful. Fearful of yet, ANOTHER Jet li martial arts movie.
Robbanflix
December 29, 2006
To bad this is Jet Li's last martial movie although his earlier movies are better like Hero etc. but worth seeing :)
December 18, 2014
This movie almost reminds me of Jet Li's martial arts classic "Hero", but it's clearly not as appealing or moving. Then again, this is one of those cases where I find it rather hard to put myself in the shoes the main character. The plot is, of course, based on historical events, but given that it's from a nationalistic perspective, the story tends to present foreigners in a somewhat caricatured fashion (I might also like to point out that there's a scene where there are English subtitles even though the characters in the scene speak in English). All jarring aspects of the story aside, the performances are actually quite good, even if they're not as great as they could have been. The film's production values, meanwhile, are quite good, and the highlight of the movie will undoubtedly be its well-choreographed fight scenes, which any fan of Jet Li is sure to appreciate. To summarize, the storytelling may be a little sketchy, but the fight choreography will more than make up for it, even if the fight scenes aren't always fresh.
November 6, 2014
Fearless is a bittersweet ending to Jet Li's epic martial arts movies until he's in American films now. I thought the plot at first was terrible and just seem as an excuse to make the fights, but it gets better at the middle and the end even though it makes the premise simple. As for the fights, they are energetic and just fantastic. This is my first time watching a Chinese film with Jet Li, so hearing him talk in Chinese sounds weird, but it started to warm up to me. It does have emotional moments that really make you feel bad. You learn a lot about the main character, despite the fact that's like other characters even though it's based on a true story. Fearless is a great film that Chinese fans are going to like.
½ July 30, 2006
Yes! Jet Li's movies are insane, and this should be no different.
July 13, 2014
Jet's best on screen performance ever...we see a lot more on screen than just senseless fighting Jet really goes into depth with the character he plays...loved this movie, this easily goes in my top 3 favorite films he stars in, Fist of Legend being my number 1 and a tie between this and Black Mask. Jet is definitely the #1 martial arts action movie star of my time for me & he's a legitimate martial arts champion in his Country, Donnie Yen is my #2 and Jackie Chan my #3
½ June 1, 2014
So much more than a martial arts film, although it is a superb one of that genre too. This film has it all--gorgeous cinematography of the beauty of China, wonderful combat scenes that to my mind are much better than the Crouching Tiger school, because they are much more believable, but foremost a redemptive journey through life to discover the true meaning of honor and the senselessness of violence, revenge and winning without honor at any price. A great film all around.
June 19, 2007
A simple and moving tribute to martial arts, Huo Yuanjia, and on some level, Jet Li's wuxia career.
½ May 21, 2014
I really liked the story and it had plenty of good fighting moves
October 20, 2008
Not what I expected, this is actually a biopic, although it's more a hagiography by western standards and, in the Eastern tradition, mythologises a real person's life. Still, the fights are impressive, the scenery's breathtaking and Li is as watchable as always.
½ April 24, 2014
Some great fight scenes and cinematography. Gives you a little glimpse into Chinese history.
½ April 14, 2014
In my opinion Jet Li's best film. Besides the awesome action scenes, it contained bold drama moments and good acting.
March 3, 2014
the ending was tragic as well as touching...
February 8, 2014
jeezus. What a freaking propaganda film. I fear for what the united states may become in the future but damn, i really fear for the world if china gains ascendancy. Dear god, what a hive mind, what a lack of concern for the individual.
½ January 26, 2014
Nothing compared to IP MAN.
½ January 9, 2014
i love this movie so much!