Movies Like Feast of Love

Feast of Love Reviews

murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Thought it would be much better than it was with the outstanding cast. Sadly, it was just another average romcom that didn't really do anything for me except bore me. Morgan Freeman will always be an amazing actor though.
Cynthia S

September 4, 2010
I really liked this movie. Yet another really nice romantic, heart warming drama. Greg Kinnear and Morgan Freeman really do a wonderful job, which really adds to this movie for me.
Alice S

July 17, 2008
Yes a big sappy love-fest. But incredibly earnest about it.
Al S

September 29, 2007
A touching, passionate, charming, funny and very effective film. Heart-breaking, powerful, exceptional and satisfying. An absolutely marvelous and wonderful movie. It's a feast of laughs ad heart. Sexy, inteligent and extroadinary. Romantic dramas like this rarely come around. Outragiously clever dialouge and wonderful direction. A great cast. Greg Kinnear and Morgan Freeman have never been better or funnier. They have such outstanding chemistry together which makes the film even more enjoyable. Kinnear is magnificent. Freeman is excellent. This movie shows the heart break and strength of love.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

December 5, 2007
Really an excellent movie!!! A couple stories about love which they interconect very closely. Love is blind, love is patient, love holds everything. The story is based on a Charles Baxter novel and revolves around a community of friends in Oregon who navigate the sometimes painful incarnations of love.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

November 3, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]"Feast of Love" starts with Harry(Morgan Freeman), a university professor, remembering a year and a half previously to a softball game where his pal Bradley(Greg Kinnear), an artist and coffee shop owner, watches his wife of six years, Kathy(Selma Blair), play. After the game, Jenny(Stana Katic), a player on the opposing team, comes to join them. What Harry notices and Bradley does not is that the two women share an instant attraction for each other. As Bradley's marriage goes down the tubes, a new relationship takes hold under his nose in his shop as Oscar(Toby Hemingway), a recovering addict, and Chloe(Alexa Davalos), a free spirit looking for a job, form an instant bond.[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]Enter Diana(Radha Mitchell) into Bradley's life.[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]"Feast of Love" is an artistically shot, sporadically erotic but dramatically inert movie that has to less to say about love, then about how afraid most people are to be alone. Take Bradley for instance. He is a charming, funny guy who also lacks perception(weird for an artist) and moves quickly from one relationship to another with abandon, getting serious without knowing his partner. And it is a good bet that he never suspected that Kathy was attracted to women until it was too late. It is either that or the scene where she meets Jenny reinforces the ugly stereotype that not only are lesbians out to seduce heterosexual women but that all softball players and athletic women for that matter are lesbians.(Or is it the other way around. I get confused.) In conclusion, the movie might have had a chance of working if Bradley's storyline had been severely truncated. Plus, no matter how good it is to see Fred Ward in anything these days, his performance comes out of another movie entirely.[/font]
PantaOz
PantaOz

August 7, 2011
It's nice to see a decently made movie which deals with love and its various incarnations, after all these super heroes and fantasies... We have love as a biggest miracle of all and we usually discard it as unbelievable. Someone here call this film a fairy tale... it's our choice... because real love could be a fairy tale in real life (when you watch the movie you'll put me in the second category - you'll see what I mean :-) ).

This is a story of Harry Stevenson (Morgan Freeman) who narrates about how love can affect one's life ... there is Bradley (Greg Kinnear) who owns a local coffee shop, and his wife Kathryn (Selma Blair) falls in love with Jenny (Stana Katic) and eventually leaves Bradley... we meet Chloe (Alexa Davalos) who comes to the Bradley's coffee shop looking for a job and Bradley's employee, Oscar (Toby Hemingway) falls instantly for her and convinces Bradley to hire her... you could watch heart-broken Bradley falling in love again with a realtor named Diana (Radha Mitchell) and marries her while Chloe and Oscar try to earn more money to get their own place by making a sex tape, but it doesn't sell for much... but wherever you look, whatever you see, love is the most important ingredient for all these events!

Feast of Love is an exceptionally well written film directed by Robert Benton (it was based on the 2000 novel The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter) and I enjoyed it very much! You could, too!
Jeff B.
Jeff B.

August 12, 2010
If cinema has taught this reviewer anything, it is that life would be a hell of a lot tidier if this Oscar winner Morgan Freeman really did reign supreme over us all with a gravelly sage-like narration and tendency to play God as a nice guy (Bruce Almighty). He has gone from broken-down (The Shawshank Redemption) to downright broken (Se7en), but always with the wisest voiceover this side of Yoda?and, in his latest, he has assumed these obligatory duties again. Not even Morgan?s celestial powers, however, can salvage this live action Hallmark Card from being anything more than a ho-hummer. Harmless and well intentioned but ultimately disposable, Feast of Love does not leave filmgoers hating it?it just leaves moviegoers shrugging off the whole experience.

In the PG-13-rated ensemble drama Feast of Love, intertwining stories of life, love and attraction intertwine in a small Oregon community.

Yes, Freeman performs his narration gig, rendering the voiceover with a wink-wink all-knowingness. This is, of course, just what director Robert Benton wanted as it better inter-connects the vignettes of losers in love. Unfortunately, this standard fare (young people in love, middle-aged spouses cheating, older people coping with loss) proves, while not under-whelming, simply middling. The blame falls on a script that tends to wax gooey and sentimental. Even the most cynical of characters tends to live their lovelorn existence with the expectation of tidy resolution, which, of course, is exactly what happens. Perhaps, if Morgan Freeman narrated your life, you would expect the same.

Bottom line: More famine than feast.
Fascade F

September 22, 2009
How powerful the item of love is in a relationship. It is either a potent item for good or a detrimental item for emotional destruction. See this. It will move you in a lot of directions. See it. this movie will absorb you.
SC007
SC007

July 25, 2009
The film isn't bad, but it's not great either. The pacing is off. Some scenes are too slow. Some of the actors were miscast in this film. Fred Ward feels like he came from another film. Morgan Freeman, Jane Alexander, and Alexa Davalos do shine in this film.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

February 7, 2010
Morgan Freeman turns in a masterly performance as the world-wise gentlemen with a big heart. I thought he had the best lines and Greg Kinnear is convincing as the good soul who still believes in loves but can't find the right woman. His first wife leaves him for a woman, and his second leaves him for her previous lover, a married man with whom she had an affair with who is now free. Then, there are the two young loves, both with a hard past who marry and are happy until tragedy strikes them as well. Good portrayal of life the way it really is.

This movie deals with mature issues (infidelity, abuse, addiction), and has a fair amount of nudity (breasts, backsides, and one fleeting full-frontal glimpse), graphic sex and one particularly disturbing moment, when a man hits a woman (and vice versa).

Bradley: "I wanted to feel as much pain in my body as I do in my heart"
Harry: "God is either dead or he despises us".
Bradley: "God doesn't hate us,if he did, then he wouldn't have made our hearts so brave."
Nicolas K

June 14, 2008
The film tries to say something, but I seemed to lose it as I never conected with the stories that felt to be not quite realistic. The acting , music and photography are good though.
Yinalí R

September 26, 2007
Very deep, true love movie.
William G

October 12, 2007
Considerably more intimate, confident than most rom-com offerings.
neffielee
neffielee

February 28, 2009
A poignant and somewhat somber look into the various aspects of love. Although we are given numerous depictions on how love can bring pain and heartache, there is a positive message that can be found. This message is delivered without being so cheesy you feel you need a glass of wine to go with it.
iLeo
iLeo

November 30, 2007
Great movie! An interesting story plot about a round of friends who regulate the local coffee shop. An interesting tackle about the ups & downs of love, relationship, and marriage. Greg Kinnear is great. Great cast although.
Sunil J

August 20, 2007
Pretty sweet with some really great acting.
Anthony V

October 13, 2007
Much more than the romantic comedy I was led to believe it was. A touching account of humanity.
ChGeor9
March 16, 2013
I thought with the cast it could have done more and better. However; I am glad I watched it by getting it from NetFlix.
February 1, 2012
Not my taste in movie. I think i just wasn't in the mood for this type of genre at the time. I was thinking this would put a soap opera to shame with all the drama that was going on. There was alot of stuff going on and I was on overload i believe. So, not something I would recommend for a guy but watch it with someone.