Female Trouble (1974)
Average Rating: 6.6/10
Reviews Counted: 19
Fresh: 15 | Rotten: 4
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 1
Fresh: 1 | Rotten: 0
Average Rating: 4/5
User Ratings: 7,228
A riotously funny bad-taste epic from director John Waters, Baltimore's "Prince of Puke," this sick classic tells the depraved life story of obese criminal Dawn Davenport (Divine), from her bad-girl youth as a go-go dancer on Baltimore's infamous Block to her death in the electric chair. Mink Stole is terrific as Dawn's bratty daughter Taffy, conceived following a romp on a junkyard mattress with a fat derelict in soiled underpants (also played by Divine). Mary Vivian Pearce and David Lochary
Oct 4, 1974 Wide
Jun 14, 2005
Continental Home Video
Dawn Davenport, Earl...
Mary Vivian Pearce
Taffy as Child
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
The Pop of Trash's follow-up to Pink Flamingos is a more hilarious, shocking and poignant feature, with Divine in top form.
How does one follow up a legendary affront to decency? In John Waters' case, he moved on.
Combined with...Waters' own private peculiarities, Female Trouble stands along side Pink Flamingos as a sure sign of this director's depth and talent.
For John Waters purists, this will be upheld as the real thing, but for most others, the licentious social commentary will only disgust or shock.
best seen as an early stab at satirizing the media and the overwhelming hype that is lavished on high-profile criminals
Best seen in small doses. Waters at his most outrageous
A wonderfully wicked film celebrating two things the director has always found fascinating: crime and beauty.
How do you follow-up Pink Flamingos? Not with a work that tries to outdo that classic gross-out comedy, but rather by moving in another direction entirely that's just as subversive, if not more so.
Normal people should probably stay away, but twisted people and young filmmakers will find laughter, inspiration and joy here.
Audience Reviews for Female Trouble
- Dawn's Mother: Not on Christmas!
- Dawn Davenport: Thank you! I love you! Thank you! Thank you from the bottom of my black little heart! You came here for some excitement tonight and that's just what you're going to get! Take a good look at ME because I'm going to be on the front of every newspaper in this country tomorrow! You're looking at crime personified AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT! I framed Leslie Bacon! I called the heroin hot line on Abby Hoffman! I bought the gun that Bremmer used to shoot Wallace! I had an affair with Juan Corona! I blew Richard Speck! And I'm so fucking beautiful I can't stand it myself! Now, everybody freeze! Who wants to be famous? Who wants to DIE for art?
- Taffy Davenport: Why can't I go to school? Why can't I have friends?
- Dawn Davenport: You can't go to school because I said so. I won't have you nagging me for lunch money and whining for help on your homework. There is no need to know about presidents, wars, numbers or science. Just listen to me and you'll learn. And no little friends over here, repeating rhymes, asking flippant questions, and talking in those nagging baby voices. Can't you just sit here and look out into the air? Isn't that enough? Do you always have to badger me for attention?
- Dawn Davenport: Davenport. Dawn Davenport! I'm a thief and a shitkicker, and, uh, I'd like to be famous.
- Dawn Davenport: Look at you, I could vomit.
- Donald Dasher: THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF BEAUTY!
- Dawn Davenport: She's been a hideous little girl today, she was about to get a good whippin'!
Discuss Female Trouble on our Movie forum!
Featured on RT
- Female Trouble + Polyester (DE)
- Female Trouble + Polyester (UK)