Female Trouble Reviews

February 11, 2008
The criminal career of Dawn Davenport is documented in an attempt to prove the thesis "crime equals beauty," in typically gross Waters fashion featuring psuedo-rape, tacky wallpaper, child abuse, absurd makeup, a woman imprisoned in a bird cage, beehive hairdos, mainlining eyeliner, Divine as a go-go dancer, implied paedophilia, puke, murder, and Edith Massey's saggy naked breasts. Badly acted, edited and photographed--by design. Waters holds up a distorted lens to the unique stylistic and moral ugliness of the 1970s and creates a uniquely nightmarish world. Similar, but more focused, less gimmicky and funnier than the more famous PINK FLAMINGOS. Unflinchingly ugly and almost impossible to like, but worth seeing for adventurous cinemaphiles simply beacuse Waters' vision is utterly unique.
January 8, 2008
God bless John Waters. He's made some of the best, crudest feel-good movies, and this is one of his crowning achievements. It's amazing how his film, ugly-looking and full of lipstick-smeared freaks, can feel positive and upbeat; while he's mocking everything in sight, he doesn't stand back and protect himself with irony or winks -- he jumps right in there, and that involvement, that energy, is easy to see and feel. It's amazing that he can feature masturbation with needle-nose pliers, beating a child with a chair, a game of "car accident," and Divine literally screwing himself and not have it be off-putting.

The very idea that Waters uses a fat transvestite with a beehive hairdo to illustrate his scorn for school shows he's not so interested in subtlety. And Divine is awesome, as always, his prissy, gravely scream -- a freak you want on your side. This is one of Waters' best satirical attempts -- there are digs at hippies and Hare Krishnas, and two scenes in particular are very prophetic: the gay encouraging, and the killing for art. Waters even mocks his own shameless exhibitionism in the testimony of the Dashers
December 6, 2007
For roughly half of its running time this plods along aimlessly but very entertainingly. However, when it finds focus and becomes a poorly developed satire on the celebrity of criminals, the gags dry up and boredom sets in. The problem is, because Dawn Davenport's so-called criminality is barely represented until her final murderous outburst, her claim to fame and notoriety seems very tenuous indeed. Like it or loathe it, "Serial Mom" tackled a similar theme more pointedly and more amusingly.
½ June 21, 2007
Demented fun movie which follows a bad girl named Dawn Davenport (Divine) and her criminal career. Her naughty daughter Taffy (Mike Stole), had me rolling on the floor. I loved it when Aunt Ida (Edith Massey) refuses to believe her son is straight and keeps trying to fix him up with a gay partner. The movie had its gross but hilarious moments, with Dawn having a baby and biting the umbilical cord, and the acid-wash make-up bald look she had during her trial scene; which was waay over-the-top. I used to dislike this movie, but now it's worth watching for Taffy's tantrums alone.
October 15, 2011
This is one of Waters' more political comedies, it's hilarious to watch, so campy and yet you can't help but laugh at the stupid dialogues.
July 29, 2009
Featuring virtually the same cast as the more famous "Pink Flamingos" and in my opinion, I found it to be not as good as its predecessed, but it is still a decent flix with a bizarre story, good exploitation values.and quite amusing scenes for which the film isn't a complete waste.
½ December 10, 2007
Specifically written for Divine, it's a vehicle that lets her travel everywhere. She gets to showoff she has talent way beyond eating dog's doo-doo.
April 27, 2012
Ugh, at points this is just so bad it's good. I guess I just don't understand where all the praise is coming from. It's just so ridiculously bad that it's funny sometimes, as opposed to being so ridiculously bad that it's making a point. I suppose I don't understand John Waters' genius through this.
July 8, 2008
your first John Waters movie is like your first kiss.You never forget it,Female toruble hands down is my favorate of his films.Mink Stile really shines as Divines daughter Taffy.
John Waters gives her dialog that just has to be heard to be beleaved.
December 5, 2008
"I wanted Cha Cha heels" screams the 300 pound drag queen, before heading off to a life of murder, disfigurement, and stardom. Divine's speech at the end is one of the greatest things ever.
September 28, 2008
Hilarious. THE most hilariously disturbing thing I've seen. It's not supposed to make much sense... just revel in it's insanity ohh.. it makes more sense if you're stoned or and drunk when you watch this.. 100x better :)
July 6, 2008
John Waters tells the story of a twisted lady, Divine the drag queen again, who has turned to a love of crime after her evil cohorts betray her. Features the funniest courtroom scene in cult movie history.
May 18, 2008
On of the strangest films I have sen in my life...granted I have not seen many Waters films like Pink Flamingos and I probaly never will although I caught this film some time ago and I felt dirty watching..it is raunchy, strange, funny, and I came to the conclusion that Divine ROCKS!! I love the sass, the hairdos, the vioce and those eye brows!!!
But in all of this ouragoeousness we have the underlined theme of how celebrity/crime /fame/ ultimately down fall are all interrelated
January 27, 2008
I love John Hughes!!! I love Female Trouble! And serously who wouldn't want a pair of cha-cha heels! LOL
½ September 26, 2007
wholesome family film about a mother and daughter's struggles in baltimore against an angry inlaw who only wants the best for her nephew a real tear jerker
September 11, 2007

July 23, 2007
probably my favorite john waters film, one of the first films to satirize celebrity obsession & violence in the media
July 10, 2007
John Waters is a genius. This is my favorite of his films. "Female Trouble" was made during the golden era of his directorial career in the early 1970's. Divine and Mink Stole given fantastic performances in this camp cult classic!
June 7, 2007
Edith massey is sooo hilarious in this one1 she always is! i can;'t say anything that will remotely give justice to how fuckin' terrific this movie is!
May 18, 2007
I wouldn't suck your dick if it was filled with oxygen and i was suficating! (one of the best lines)