62% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Field of Dreams Reviews

KJ P

September 25, 2010
Is the film 100% perfect? No, but it's damn close. Kevin Costner leads with a powerhouse performance, being told by "the voice of god" to build something in order to have someone come. Once he realizes it is a field he must build, in order to have his most beloved player on the field, he gives himself a mission, which has him travelling across the globe, trying his best to accomplish the tasks at hand. As this is happening, the bank is about to foreclose on his home. This film really tells the incredible story of how life itself is more important than any tangible thing. The direction is brilliant, the script is wonderful, and the performances are true. I loved "Field of Dreams" from start to finish. One of my all-time favourite films revolving around sports/family!
Alice S

June 28, 2012
It's delightful for what it is...but what it is is a movie about ghost baseball players that I wouldn't watch over and over again, unlike Die Hard. Once is enough :~P The beginning has a nice thrillery feel, and I enjoy how Ray's wife is happily supportive, but when it becomes a buddy road trip movie, the flimsy connections between Terence Mann and Doc Graham just don't cut the cheap ballpark mustard.
Jens S

June 14, 2006
The premise of someone building a baseball diamond over his corn field because a voice and a vision told him to may sound a bit silly. But it's presented so convincingly and charmingly that you're easily on Ray's side and curious about what his journey through modern US American (sports) myths) has in store for him. The more often the voice returns, the more fantastic the film gets without ever becoming ludicrous or giving up its sweet sense of humor. Costner is of course the perfect man to play that leading role. The rest of the cast delivers excellent performances as well, especially James Earl Jones and Burt Lancaster fill their lovable characters with so much charisma. How all this makes perfect sense in the end is nothing less than a fairy tale, but a sweet, charming one that will leave you with a satisfied grin on your face. There's a feel-good-movie, if I ever saw one. And you don't even have to be into Baseball to love this.
Apeneck F

July 18, 2007
"I wish I could tell everyone I've ever loved --- but never told --- just what they've meant to me and to my life" Its a dream of most hearts, difficult to convey in the real, often fouled up, and seldom mentioned even in the dreamtime, the movies. But this film does that, approaches that yearning, addresses it, and the vehicle is one of life's simple pleasures: a game of catch. You need two people. Is this film about the love of the game of baseball? Yes. And more.
Alexander D

June 15, 2011
Good+
blkbomb
blkbomb

July 21, 2011
Ray: I'm 36 years old, I love my family, I love baseball and I'm about to become a farmer. But until I heard the voice, I'd never done a crazy thing in my whole life.

"If you build it... he will come"

A one-of-a kind film that is both magical and heartwarming. As feel good movies go, this is easily the best one I've ever seen. It's not really even close. It's got such an innocent and feel good ending. For many movies this can be a disaster if not done properly. Field of Dreams does it right and it turns out very rewarding. This is one of the most satisfying movies I have ever seen. From beginning to end it is really a joy to watch.

As both a huge fan of baseball and movies, I was asking myself the same question as the baseball players in the movie; "Is this Heaven?" And yes, yes it is. This is pure and simple the greatest baseball related movie ever made. Maybe the best sports related movie ever made. It's really hard to describe just how much I love this movie.

The subtle performances of the cast go a long way in further exploring the deepness of this movie. Kevin Costner gives one of his better performances. Amy Madigan is really good also as the wife. She has a scene at a PTA meeting that is really funny. James Earle Jones gives a good performance. Then there's Ray Liotta as the one and only "Shoeless" Joe Jackson.

Now, if your a baseball fan, you've undoubtedly heard of "Shoeless" Joe and the Blacksox Scandal of 1919. A great double feature would be this and Eight Men Out. Eight Men Out is a great movie about the 1919 World Series and what really went on with "Shoeless" Joe and the seven other players who were kicked out of the league for throwing the series.

This movie is a must watch and I believe most people will not be disappointed when they are done watching this truly remarkable film.

Shoeless Joe Jackson: Ty Cobb wanted to play, but none of us could stand the son-of-a-bitch when we were alive, so we told him to stick it!
Jennifer X

May 1, 2011
Man, if I have to see Kevin Costner's clueless mug muttering "If you build it, he will come," Imma slap something. Jokes aside though, Field of Dreams is heartwarming in a thoroughly nonpretentious sort of way.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 8, 2011
A classic baseball movie, or fantasy? This movie hit every right note, acting, story, and moral. This is a great movie
AJ V

September 6, 2010
An interesting drama about baseball and life. I really liked it, it's both serious and entertaining at the same time.
Sajin P

January 8, 2011
Would have given this one more star if I knew anything about baseball and its history :)
Even so, I simply loved the movie. It was inspiring and moving.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 3, 2010
How can you forget the voiece "if you built it, he we will come." Normally I don't tend to like baseball films all that much, as I'm not a big fan of the game. But on some occasions I'll like a baseball flick, this one and The Sandlot were the one that I always found the best. Both are classics, and both are fun. Field Of Dreams is one of the best feel good films that I've seen. The story is quite simple, but the film is very powerful, and is hard to get away. Based on W.P Kinsella's novel, Shoeless Joe; Field Of Dreams. The story follows farmer Ray Kinsella. One day Kinsella hears a voice "if you built it, he will come." Ray Kinsella sets out to build a baseball field. At First, Kinsella's attempt at obeying the voice seem in vain, as no one comes to the field. A mountain of debt piles up for Kinsella due to the fact that he plowed down half his crop of corn to build the baseball field. But then Shoeless Joe Jackson shows up on the field one night. Shoeless Joe is one of seven who banned from professional baseball due to the 1919 Black Sox scandal. After the initial encounter with Shoeless Joe, he asks Ray Kinsella to invite the other six players who were banned. Thus starts a magical journey of redemption and making dreams happen. This such a terrific film to watch. The story is very well told and doesn't feel too sentimental. Field Of Dreams won't appeal to everyone as this isn't your typical feel good film. The cast here is terrific, Kevin Costner plays probably his best role of his career and Burt Lancaster gives a splendid last performance. Amy Madigan's character is quite irritating, but she manages to portray an ex hippie very well (auditorium scene). Amy Madigan though annoys me in the film, even though she gives a good performance. The story is filled with moving scenes and is a film that can make the impossible happen. This is a terrific film to watch with the entire family, and many people who watch it can take something away with them. This is definitely of the best feel good films around.
Bobby H

February 20, 2010
"The Field of Dreams", a baseball field built by an Iowa Farmer, after he hears an unknown voice demand he builds, becomes a place where dreams come true for past time hereos of baseball, as well as others.

What I really like about this movie is the just the magic behind the message. A reminder to make a real attempt to note the most signifgant and amazing moments in our life and to not be afraid to embrace and live out our dreams.

Kevin Cosner heads the movie and puts on an amazing performance like always. The movie naturally will come as a greater flick for those who love or have an appreciation for baseball and the role it's played in American Society.

For those who dislike baseball it's still worth a watch but may not be defined as the classic as others see it as.

Regardless, it's worth a watch, and in my opinion is good enough to back up the reason of why it's been a favorite of many for the past two decades.
Carlos M

February 13, 2010
A truly magical film, with great performances and a beautiful score, it is more than about baseball, it's about going the distance and making amends with the past, and the ending is simply wonderful.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 3, 2009
Kevin Costner was so awesome in this Movie.
movieguru12
movieguru12

April 5, 2008
"If you build it he will come." :) I just love this movie. Kevin Costner is an fantastic actor & his part in this movie was a good role for him to play. :)
Anthony L

September 25, 2009
Good cast but guess it help if you like baseball (and Kevin Costner)!
Lady D

July 28, 2006
Not quite as good as I remember this being, but it?s enjoyable, watchable and easy on the concentration.
Jason O

September 10, 2009
It's hard to describe in words the deep meaning and the true greatness of "Field of Dreams." Ray (Kevin Costner) is a farmer who keeps hearing an inner voice say such things to him as "if you build it, he will come" and "go the distance." Ray soon finds out that all these inner voices have something to do with an old Chicago White Sox team that featured many great players such as "Shoeless" Joe Jackson. Ray soon understands these voices and cuts a lot of his corn crop in order to build a baseball field so "Shoeless" Joe Jackson can come back and play baseball along with other great baseball legends, and even maybe somebody even more special from Ray's life. However, after he builds the field, Ray and his family have to worry about bankruptcy due to the loss of most of their corn crop. Ray soon understands even more about not only baseball, but of the glory days of the past.
"Field of Dreams" is a one of a kind movie about baseball, reminiscing, and enjoying life for the better things of it instead of the obvious. Whether you like baseball or not, if you like movies that have a lot of meaning to them, I definitely recommend getting "Field of Dreams." It features a great performance from Kevin Costner, Ray Liotta, James Earl Jones, and everybody else that was in the movie. "Field of Dreams" is definitely one of the best movies ever made. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001. Awesome, classic movie right here.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 7, 2007
Not a big Costner fan but his blandness serves the story well here as it allows a sort of universality to the character, and Amy Madigan offers a fine performance, Burt Lancaster a beautiful one.
Jon L

March 8, 2009
This is a really good film, if you can stretch your imagination! Great soundtrack as well.