The Fiendish Plot of Dr. Fu Manchu Reviews

January 24, 2014
Yes, this is Peter Sellers final movie, but no, it's not as horrid as they say. Heaven knows, there are Christopher Lee Fu Manchu movies that are worse than this, but there are definite problems. The characters are a wee bit too goofy, and wtf is up with that ending.
September 6, 2012
And so it came to this, this proved to be Peter Sellers' final film, straight off the critical success of Being There (1979). This followed on from The Prisoner of Zenda (1979), and gave Sellers a chance to play more than one character with this spoof of Sax Rohmer's books. But it ends up being quite embarrassing and tragic, with a lacklustre script with jokes that have been done before and much better too. In the 1930's, Dr. Fu Manchu (Sellers) is celebrating his 168th birthday, but his age-regressing elixir vitae is spilt, Fu has to come up with a plan to make a new batch of the elixir. He sends his minions across the world, to Washinton to steal the Star of Leningrad diamond, and then to London to steal the George V diamond. FBI agents Joe Capone (Sid Caesar) and Peter Williams (Steve Franken) go to London to coax Dennis Nayland Smith (Sellers again) out to retirement to stop Fu Manchu's plan. Fearing the Royal Family might be in danger, Smith and Scotland Yard send in Alice Rage (Helen Mirren) to impersonate Queen Mary, but she ends up becoming enamoured with Fu Manchu, and ends up aiding in his plan. Some of it looks good, but it's sad that Sellers ended his career on this one, seeing him as Elvis is just embarrassing, and not even support from David Tomlinson, John Le Mesurier, Burt Kwouk and Clive Dunn can save it. Piers Haggard (Blood on Satan's Claw) started directing the film, but Sellers fired him and took over. Says it all really.
July 28, 2012
Not his BEST film but..not his worst...it's def. in between cause you look at it and can say..he's done worse but he's def. done better then this. for me I look at this film as...a sad Peter Sellers Swan song. I think he really tried to be good in this film and all but..it just didn't work. But his performance is great.
½ January 12, 2012
Never before (and likely never again) will Fu-Manchu be so light-hearted and downright adorable.
November 25, 2011
Ive seen 5 Fu Manchu movies & some are good/some not so much but I can't deny that Fu Manchu is a great character. He's main reason why I tune in. A really funny spoof of this series could be made..this isn't it even w/ Peter Sellers pulling double duty as Chu & Nayland Smith. It's actually a tragedy that this was Sellers last role that he end being caught up in such a lame duck production. I didn't think it was going to be as bad as it turned out because I got a couple of giggles in the opening scene before the credits rolled but it falls flat on its face right after that. It's too bad because Sellers tries hard playing to his greatest strength as a master of disguise. It just seemed that the makers of this film thought that would be enough. For his die hard fans it may have been but I found it to be more embarrassing then anything else
½ January 3, 2011
It feels like a half-baked, low-budget but completely enjoyable film. Sellers is great (again) while the plot (although a bit clumsy at times) never (or almost never...) lets him down. It's good - and it's the swan song of the best comedian in the world, a farce-like but partly precise prophecy of his end. Just like he is spitting on the Devil.
½ September 6, 2010
Good movie,with a good acting from Sellers.But could be better as Sellers' last motion picture.
½ October 7, 2009
I had the bad luck of watching this movie in Italian, so anything that might have been funny was lost in translation. Still this is one of the worst movies that I have ever seen.
If you want to keep Peter Sellers memory alive donīt waste your time watching this Film.
½ January 15, 2009
This has two things going for it. Fu Manchu and Peter Sellers. Unfortunately that's not enough to rescue this mess. Worth a look see if you're a completist for either of the two aforementioned factors.
August 17, 2008
my god what hilarous film and shocking finale.Peter Sellers is a great actor.one of the funniest movies i have ever seen.
½ July 30, 2007
Low camp but worth it for the windup spiders
April 8, 2007
Not Peters best, but funny. Watch with THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT lol.
March 31, 2007
Peter Sellers is great. The movie is pretty bad.