Five Favorite Films with Terrence Howard

Summary

The Oscar-nominated actor Terrence Howard has amassed an impressive resume since making his Hollywood breakthrough in the 1995 drama Mr. Holland's Opus (he also starred in that year's Dead Presidents), excelling at giving each and every one of his characters an extraordinary complexity that always seems to simmer right beneath the surface, whether as part of an ensemble (Crash, Lackawanna Blues), as a villain (Awake, Idlewild), a sympathetic figure (Four Brothers, August Rush), or a hero in waiting (Iron Man). In a discussion about Howard's favorite films, Rotten Tomatoes discovered that the actor's affinity for music runs close to his cinematic tastes (in addition to performing his own songs in Craig Brewer's Hustle & Flow, he released an album in 2008). Back to Article

Comments

Samuel G.

Samuel Gehrke

What? You think he's gay, you don't mean it as an insult, but you think he's a very strange person?

Apr 23 - 11:11 PM

Islander

John Watkins

Which man would not admit to liking musicals? I agree with Terrence Howard: those men are not real men!

Apr 23 - 11:15 PM

4site

james forsythe

I think he's gay...And by gay I mean he blows guys and ****s semen. Not that there's anything wrong with that....just saying.

Apr 24 - 02:19 AM

Squishyj

Jeff Innis

How can people criticize his list? I mean, it's HIS list. They asked him for it and he gave his reasons? Lighten up people.....

Apr 24 - 04:24 AM

Timothy M.

Timothy McLean

It was nice to hear the musicals. Not many men would admit that. But I'm still suspicious that he's a rotten tomatoes reader and always hears us complaining about how everyone picks The Godfather...
Deep down he probably does.

Apr 24 - 06:00 AM

Astro C.

Astro Creep

To each his own.

I think his list is gutsy and interesting.

I'm wondering why Singing In The Rain isn't on it though.
It's The Godfather of musicals is it not?

Apr 24 - 06:17 AM

stevegilpin

Steven Gilpin

I'm really glad he is proud of Hustle & Flow, because that movie is absolutely awesome. Terrence Howard's performance as Djay is mesmerizing!! The rest of the cast is great, too. Craig Brewer deserves a lot of credit for writing and directing such a great film.

Apr 24 - 07:57 AM

Dave J

Dave J

This is obviously a list he thought of in the spur of the moment, I can picture Howard playing Marlon Brando in "On The Waterfront" but I can't see Howard singing tunes of "Chitty Chitty..." or "Mary Poppins". It's possible he chose those movies because they're family films and that he was thinking of his family. Although I understand where he's coming from with Hustle And Flow, I can relate to his character more in Crash.

Apr 24 - 12:06 PM

nate2709

Nate 2709

I wish he was coming back for Iron Man 2, that's a pretty big loss.

Apr 24 - 01:23 PM

thetruebastard

bart barker

Peter Sellers easily topped Van Dyke in both areas.

Apr 24 - 01:33 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I disagree, both were great but they were from two different times catering to two completely different audiences. IMO Sellers probably was better verbally, but DVD was the superior physical comedien. Sellers was going for an edgy cool and Van Dyke was clearly more family friendly, plus Van Dyke still has it, easily the best thing about Night at the Museum. I truly believed he could kick Ben Stillers ***.

Apr 24 - 03:43 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Apr 24 - 03:43 PM

Carlos R.

Carlos Reyes

I think he has the right to choose wich films he likes best, besides I admire his honesty. Itīs very safe to say that your fiver favorite movies are "The Goodfather", "Citizen Cane", "Casablanca", "Lawrence of Arabia" and "The Bicycle Theft", but to me taking a safe path its not as important as telling your real opinion.

Apr 24 - 04:49 PM

the train

Vinnie Oliveri

i second the opinion that losing howard is a big loss for iron man 2. howard's a great actor. i hope he gets better opportunities than fighting down the line.

Apr 24 - 09:01 PM

inactive user

Jared King

"Fighting 2".

Apr 24 - 09:19 PM

inactive user

Jared King

"Fighting 2".

Apr 24 - 09:19 PM

rooster9

Semi Aboud

Gay = strange, but it's not an insult? Rocknblues81 needs to think about that statement.

Apr 26 - 10:55 AM

jonboy83

Jonathan Hartness

Rooster. STFU.

Apr 27 - 07:08 AM

Will M.

Will Moreno

The guy has the right to pick whatever ****ty movie he likes, but when it comes to explaining why he likes them, he's actually full of of ****! The atoms of your body combine with the... music whatever. He's just boring.

and gay

Apr 26 - 11:33 AM

Jason C Wilkerson

Jason Wilkerson

I think Terrence is a good actor, but I wouldn't say it's a loss to not have him in Iron Man 2. You might as well say Don Cheadle is second rate, and that he is not. He's got at least one Oscar nom as well.

I think it's an interesting list. I always love how people on here criticize actors for the top 5 lists. Just because someone lists The Godfather doesn't mean he's copping out, should someone pick a different movie if The Godfather is one of their favorites just so they can seem more "real" to you? No one here can profess to know the inner workings of someone's mind, so quit trying to judge whether someone's list is true or safe.

Apr 26 - 11:46 AM

jonboy83

Jonathan Hartness

Rooster. STFU.

Apr 27 - 07:08 AM

Senor_Chupacabra

Manny Furious

I don't like most of the movies on the list... but I like the guy more now because at least he was honest.

And he is a big loss for Iron Man 2, not because Cheadle sucks, but because Howard seems younger and more fit and more able to be a "War Machine."

He was also one of the few redeeming qualities in "Fighting" which I was dragged out to over the weekend.

Apr 27 - 08:32 AM

penguin_party_of_1

Casey Shaffer

Seriously, film snob much? Who's to say that your favorite five don't suck as much as you think all these famous people's lists suck? Movies are someone's favorites because they meant something to that person, doesn't mean that they're the best films ever. Sheesh.

May 1 - 06:13 AM

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies