The Final Cut Reviews

September 18, 2013
Technology is developed that allows recording of one's entire life. Why? So that once yer dead your relatives can make a memorial film clip of your life. While not the expected use of such capabilities it's the set-up for Williams to play a man whose job it is to shape those recorded lifetimes into Disney-fied music videos (cue Phillip Glass-like score). Problems herein include the predictable privacy concerns, a dead tech wizard's possibly incriminating and thus exploitable past, as well as Williams own personally troubling past. It's not bad insofar as a interesting sci-fi idea explored goes, but somehow fails to connect. Williams, Sorvino and Caviezel all perform well for the newbie director/writer Naim who only lacks focus IMO., delivering a tale nicely reminiscent of 1950's pulp sci-fi.
September 1, 2010
God, I hate Robin Williams! One of the world's most overrated actors is terribly pouty and rigid in THE FINAL CUT. He's not alone, though. Most of the top players in this film are awful as well.

Between the script's huge deficiencies, the many plot holes, the underdeveloped characters and Fletcher's (Jim Caviezel) fake beard, the film fails miserably, even more so considering its alluring concept. The score by Bryan Tyler is incredible (and that's about it).
June 1, 2010
Interesting concept with a somewhat anticlimactic ending. Robin Williams is understated and slightly creepy as the sin-eating cutter, and I always love Jim Caviezel.
½ September 15, 2008
The Final Cut is more than just a thriller. It offers a fascinating premise and works on it in an excellent manner. We are shown the damage such "recorded memories" can have but also the peace they can bring to loved ones. Williams centers the film around his fabulously detached performance. He's a man who has lived all his life with the guilt of his own memories as well as spending the majority of his adult life experiencing the lives of others. Opposite WIlliams we have Caviezel who again does an outstanding job as a supposed "villain" with more morals than that of our hero. All points of view are clearly expressed which makes for a wonderfully thought provoking piece of entertainment. Unfortunately not all avenues are explored to their full extent. This would have made one hell of a TV show which could have chronicled Cutting and Rememories from their initial inception. The film is rather complex and doesn't give us an easy answer to the questions it raises. Unfortunately now I just want to know more about the world in which the film is set. For once here's hoping for a remake or TV show in a few decades to further explore a wonderful idea.
May 17, 2008
Nifty futuristic idea.
February 8, 2008
Pointless and clichéd sci-fi thriller.
puffchunk
½ October 25, 2007
Pretty neat story. I think it's a bit unlikely that someone can make a career viewing an entire life and edit a movie, especially more than one life (like lots of them). You know, there's this problem with your life not being hundreds upon hundreds of years long. Other than that little flaw, it was neat.
½ June 15, 2007
A good, if strange film starring Robin Williams. He plays a cutter that basically can take memories from people who have died and create a sort of montage of their best memories from their life. Whilst doing so he also gets to see what else they got up to. Great idea but it seems to end a bit abruptly. Could have been a classic.
½ November 7, 2006
Very interesting.
Harlequin68
½ January 29, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]In "The Final Cut", parents can have a Zoe Implant made by the Eyetech Corporation put into their child at birth(or perhaps even before), recording all of their memories. After a person dies, the chip can be removed and all of the information edited down by a cutter and shown to their loved ones as a Rememory. Alan Hakman(Robin Williams) is the best cutter around and he handles the material no other cutter will touch which is why he takes the job of sifting through the memories of Charles Bannister, an Eyetech executive. An ex-cutter named Fletcher(Jim Caviezel) has offered Hakman $500,000 for those particular memories...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"The Final Cut" is a nifty, thought-provoking piece of science fiction that thankfully does not devolve into car chases or explosions. The film is a medititation on how we remember(especially the dead) and what is written about public figures after they die(A cutter is sort of an obituary writer.) which is almost always extremely polite(especially about Ronald Reagan) with Hunter Thompson denigrating Richard Nixon being the very rare exception. This is one of Robin Williams' best performances but Mira Sorvino is nowhere near as capable.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Note: "The Final Cut" did remind me a little of "The Conversation"(1974) starring Gene Hackman. [/font]
½ March 23, 2012
A great performance by Robin Williams and a even greater plot. Makes THE FINAL CUT, a really good Sci-Fi/Drama worth at least one or two viewings.
½ June 21, 2009
Pretty weak.
I think the idea was brilliant and original. The actors I think did well....However... It was just too scattered & didnt really have any finishing point that it was leading up to. The ending was flat & bland, and much of the movie leading to it was too random & scattered to ever get an idea what it was actually trying to tell.
April 2, 2009
Interesting concept, though it creeps me out: the idea of people being able to see everything I've experienced throughout my entire life. I like to see Robin Williams take on these serious roles.
October 27, 2007
Kinda cool. Mira Sorvino was nice to see again.
June 26, 2008
I was on a mission after seeing the passion of the christ to see anything else james caviezel had to offer, but shouldve stayed clear from this mess, i hated it.
June 7, 2008
A neat idea, and the sequence with "the daydreams" is terrific, but otherwise it's substandard.
DrLappos
½ May 27, 2007
Williams shows that he is still one of the greatest actors of his era. Brilliant film.
½ June 14, 2012
This tech noir thriller is based on an interesting concept but unfortunately suffers from a weak script from first-time writer/director. Too many loose ends and subplots that distract from the main story, not to mention obvious plot holes.
August 7, 2006
Kind of a strange, interesting, sorta futuristic little movie, about an implant that records a persons life and then when they die it is used at their funeral to show their lives (hopefully all the bad cut-out) ...a little slow in spots but it kept most of my attention :-) It was also tragic and sad at the end...
½ January 14, 2012
This is about people that can edit your memories so that when you die you have the coolest funeral retrospective film ever (probably to the song "I've Had the Time of My Life" or one of those creepy lugubrious remakes of "Over the Rainbow" or "Mad World"). Even though the premise is cool, do not expect to see me watching this movie in my own life's retrospective film.