Pixar's Going Sci-Fi for "Wall-E"

Any time we can get a little info on the next Pixar movie, it's pretty exciting. But wait till you get a load of what those guys have planned for after "Ratatouille." Sci-fi fans in particular should enjoy this news...

According to a rather exuberant report over at Jim Hill Media, Pixar's 2008 project, "Wall-E" looks to be shaping up as some sort of sci-fi masterpiece. I wouldn't go that far, but Jim's pretty psyched about this project -- and it's pretty easy to see why.

Non-spoilery nutshell: It's the year 2700 and the Earth is entirely uninhabitable. On the planet is a lone sanitation robot called "Wall-E" whose long and lonely life is interrupted by the arrival of a newer-model robot.

I don't want to ruin any surprises (and I only read about half the article), but this certainly seems to be one of Pixar's most ambitious productions so far. "Finding Nemo" director Andrew Stanton is the one at the helm on "Wall-E."

Obviously we'll have a lot more on this project as it moves forward.

Source: Jim Hill Media

Comments

renny2077

Renny Abraham

I found Cars rather disappointing. But always good to hear on the stuff Pixar's got planned.

Mar 1 - 04:54 AM

Snoochieflagship

Andrew Nagy

Cars was garbage compared to what pixar can do. I hope these next two movies are better.

Mar 1 - 04:56 AM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

I agree! Everyone loved Cars, but I didn't even make it through the movie. I shut it off about halfway through.

Mar 1 - 05:29 AM

Zen Bullet

J D

Cars was a solid concept in search of a story. Unfortunately, what Lasseter and company settled for was a storyline that was way too thin given the film's running time. One of the negative results was the lack of momentum.

It's important for a film to keep the viewer asking "what's going to happen next?", while also providing a degree of anxiety regarding the outcome. This was put to great effect in the Toy Story films as well as Monster's Inc., Finding Nemo, and The Incredibles. Unfortunately. "Cars" only had one or two story questions that we were even invested in . . . and those were almost lost admist the large assortment of character exchanges and vignettes.

But I certainly won't judge Pixar by one misshap. Given all the dreck that comes out of Hollywood, the Pixar team still consists of some the best storytellers to emerge in a long while.

Bring on Wall-E!!!!!

Mar 1 - 07:26 AM

synergyred

Nancy Elizabeth

Wow. All the Cars hate. I really enjoyed the film personally, and was a little sad when it lost best animated picture to Happy Feet (okay, Monster House I can understand, but Happy Feet?).

Anyways, I'm really excited about this one. Sounds like such a great idea! I hope it will be as good as Finding Nemo.

Mar 1 - 07:48 AM

TheIceGhost

Harry Myland

Didnt RT post something EXACTLY like this a good month ago?

Cars was alright. The visuals were awesome but the story was less-than-stellar. I honestly wasnt a huge fan of The Incredibles either. No idea why because it was an awesome concept and a pretty cool story. After I saw that it just felt like something was missing, I dunno, just me.

"Honey, where is my supersuit!?" (haha, love that..)

Mar 1 - 08:40 AM

originalsince84

Tim Toy

After I saw the Incredibles, I was in shock as it was a better "action" film than almost every other "action" film I saw that entire summer. The Incredibles was a blast and it was a fun movie to watch. It felt almost a little retro in the way it was just fun to watch.

Mar 1 - 09:04 AM

originalsince84

Tim Toy

Mar 1 - 09:04 AM

cardow

Andrew McCardle

Toy Story with robots?

Mar 1 - 11:18 AM

randal1013

Randal 1013

it's idiocracy with robots and further in the future.

Mar 1 - 01:44 PM

bubbaburnstine

adam burnstine

I can't wait for this. The first third is going for a 2001 feel, with almost no dialouge, and the rest is going to be a very ambitious pixar story, which is always good.

Mar 1 - 04:15 PM

Bob*

bob askins

oh great! yet ANOTHER animated crap for kids...please please keep'em bringing them!

..bah.

Mar 1 - 10:50 PM

Super Simba

Super Simba

Dude...shut up.

Mar 2 - 12:26 PM

Kid_Ikarus

Josh Thornton

"PTHHHHH... He did WHAT in his cup??"

For me the fun of Pixar is in the humor, those guys (the writers) are hilarious....

Mar 2 - 11:58 AM

Super Simba

Super Simba

Dude...shut up.

Mar 2 - 12:26 PM

Super Simba

Super Simba

I liked Cars...Pixar can do better, alright, but I liked it just fine anyway.

Mar 2 - 12:27 PM

Racer Z

Shannon Potratz

Love it or hate, PIXAR did something with Cars that NO ONE else is doing. Among the endless talking animals movies, they went for something completely different... and made it work. It was fun, entertaining, and damn fine to look at. Bravo PIXAR! Of course, people always have to have something to whine about.

Mar 2 - 01:45 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast