Fired! Reviews

ScoopOnline
December 19, 2009
Getting Fired By Woody Allen Was Just The Beginning
July 1, 2009
A humorous look at a not very humorous condition: being fired. This viewer can relate to the subject matter, as he has been fired from numerous jobs, and he has dealt with many of the issues touched on here. The actress, Annabelle Gurwitch, after being fired from a play by Woody Allen, sets out on a quest to interview people from all walks of life to try to find how people cope with losing their livelihood. A lot of the material is tongue-in-cheek, but the underlying message is quite apporpriate in today's economy. The way to get over the trauma of being let go, canned, down-sized, right-sized (my personal favorite), or just plain fired, is to see it as an opportunity to re-invent yourself, capitalizing on your strengths and go out and find another job. This viewer found it quite entertaining, and while it may not be a recipe for recovery, it certainly doesn't hurt to find something to laugh about in the midst of what can undermine one's self-worth. A great deal of humor, but some real poignancy as well, especially the footage about the GM workers in Lansing, MI.
½ February 26, 2008
Sways between anecdotes and insight, general repetition and genuine charm.
½ June 25, 2007
I love Woody Allen films and I hadn't heard about this one until just now. I am so excited to see it!
July 12, 2007
Competent but uninspired documentary about an actress who was fired from a play directed by Woody Allen. Feeling hurt and rejected, she made this film to explore what effects getting fired can have on a person's mental state and sense of self-worth. Her conclusions are hardly stunning: I think we all know that getting fired can lead to depression and feelings of inadequecy, right? Participants in the film range from celebrities (Tim Allen, Andy Dick, etc.) to the most humble of blue-collar workers. Interesting viewing, but not mandatory.
June 28, 2007
Some of the stories are really interesting. I really liked that Dana Gould was trying to become a successful actor so he could pursue his real dream of screen writing.
½ June 8, 2007
Amazingly brilliant. A visual feat of beauty, gore, scenery, makeup, and the true pathos of the human condition irregardless of race.
June 21, 2007
ooh yes, i will watch anything with Sarah Silverman.
She is teh sex