Critics Consensus: Fired Up! Gets A Bronx Cheer

Plus, guess the Tomatometer for Madea Goes to Jail.

This week at the movies, we've got spirited scoundrels (Fired Up!, starring Nicholas D'Agosto and Eric Christian Olsen) and septuagenarian scofflaws (Madea Goes to Jail, starring Tyler Perry and Derek Luke). What do the critics have to say?

23%
Template Image
Rotten

Fired Up!

If you're going to make a raunchy cheerleading comedy, you're going to need plenty of energy and some good jokes. Unfortunately, critics say Fired Up! is short on laughs and pep.The film stars Nicholas D'Agosto and Eric Christian Olsen as a pair of high school football stars that decide to join the painfully inept cheerleading squad as a ploy to meet girls. Naturally, the lads learn a thing or two about love and competitiveness in the process. The pundits say Fired Up! does little with a limited premise, delivering a few chuckles but ultimately coming across as alternately shopworn and mean-spirited.

30%
Template Image
Rotten

Madea Goes to Jail

There are two ways of looking at the evolution of Tyler Perry's career: either mainstream critics are slowly coming around to his brand of comedic melodrama and spiritual uplift, or he's getting better at his craft. Regardless of the answer, we'll have to wait for the pundits' evaluations of Madea Goes to Jail, since it wasn't screened prior to release. Madea stars Perry as the irrepressible (and slammer-bound) matriarch, whose no-nonsense candor serves to inspire her damaged fellow inmates. Kids, ask your parole officer for help in guessing that Tomatometer!

Also opening this week in limited release:

• Must Read After My Death, a wrenching documentary of family dysfunction, is at 100 percent.
  • Andrzej Wajda's Katyn, a drama about Soviet atrocities in Poland in World War II, is at 93 percent.
  • Eleven Minutes, a documentary about Project Runway winner Jay McCarroll's first runway show, is at 44 percent.

Comments

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

OH LORDY MY FAVORITE, TYLA MUTH F^CKN PERRY! HALLELUJAH! God I hate Tyler Perry, why do people watch his movies?!? Why don't they just watch NBC at around 11 am and you'll see better quality on those frickking soaps.

Feb 19 - 04:52 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Exactly! Tyler Perry is releasing the same movie again and again! It was never funny when he dressed up as a women, it's not funny now.

"Fired Up" looks lame. And kyle x., you suck!

Feb 19 - 08:17 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Tyler Perry's movies just come off as unoriginal to me. Like I said on a different post, they feel like a patchwork of Nutty Professor, Big Momma's House, and Roscoe Jenkins. I neither love him nor hate him, he's just kind of . . . there. Like the FLIX channel.

Feb 19 - 05:34 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

Dont like Perry either. NO interest in this one.

Madea goes to Jail: 25%

Feb 19 - 07:23 PM

hatingvindiesel

Daniel Satué

Madea: 41 %

Feb 20 - 03:09 PM

Speaker for the Films

Matthew Legarreta

Madea-32%

Feb 19 - 07:31 PM

kyle x.

kyle xy

After several years of testing and modification, our engineer finally worked out the world's best match system.Check out *** SUGARBABYDATE. CO M *** There are Over millions of profiles from all over the world! No matter where you are or what you are, you can find someone just around your neighborhood. You can get their pictures, phone numbers, locations, and almost any information.Everything is FREE!

Feb 19 - 07:43 PM

inactive user

Jared King

"Fired Up" looks lame. And kyle x., you suck!

Feb 19 - 08:17 PM

jvcarroll

James C.

I find Tyler Perry's shtick to be offensive - not only because it's condescending to non-Christians or that it's largely homophobic - but because it is horribly executed drivel. The African American community has risen above the likes of Tyler Perry and deserves far better. It's time to send middling Media packing. This is blaxploitation at its worst. And unimaginative at that!

Feb 19 - 09:32 PM

thereign

lance berry

All I know is, after watching the Review Revue, I don't know what the hell's coming out this weekend, thanks to Jen Yamato's outfit.

Feb 19 - 09:41 PM

nate2709

Nate 2709

The only thing worse than a Tyler Perry play is a Tyler Perry movie. God he sucks it hard!

Feb 19 - 10:28 PM

Zaraki

Rick V

Tyler Perry's new crap i see being around a 15%, I'm being generous.

@Fired Up = A COMEDY THAT'S NOT FUNNY OR ORIGINAL, WHAT A SHOCKER! Oh where have the days of funny/quality comedies(and horror movies too) gone.

Feb 20 - 12:08 AM

mssk8erboy

First Last

I can't stand tyler perry, 23%

-MIKE

Feb 20 - 08:47 AM

BMS1234

brandon sideleau

Never seen a Tyler Perry movie and, judging from the previews and what I've read on here/reviews I don't think I ever want to. Fired Up looks like yet another waste of studio time in a desperate attempt to draw in the brainless masses for another harmless and unfunny "comedy."

Feb 20 - 09:12 AM

Kameron D.

Kameron Dover

Madea Goes to Jail - 29% (Based on the Tomatometers of his other movies)

Feb 20 - 09:50 AM

Hans M.

Hans Morgenstern

I'd guess 20 % on Madea Goes to Jail. Never seen his stuff and most probably never will (most probably because I'd never seen a Jean Claude Van Damme movie until I saw JCVD a few weeks ago-- very cool, it was!).

Ebert has a great review for Must Read After My Death, but it feels like a renter for me.

Otherwise, nothing new this week sparks my interest. We hope to see either Coraline in 3D or Doubt this weekend.

I caught Gommora in NYC this week. It was amazing. It reminded me of City of God.

Feb 20 - 11:33 AM

Jason C Wilkerson

Jason Wilkerson

I've never seen a Tyler Perry movie, but I remember working in a video store when all the "plays" or whatever for all these movies he's putting out now were coming in and judging by the cases they all looked horrible. If you are a black film maker who isn't just going to make a good movie without a specific message to the black community, or you're not going to make Do the Right Thing, you shouldn't even bother. (This is coming from a black dude.) 10%

Feb 20 - 12:25 PM

hatingvindiesel

Daniel Satué

Madea: 41 %

Feb 20 - 03:09 PM

JRW1980

Jeremy W.

Fired Up looks okay. I might go see it out of boredom over the weekend just because I will need my movie fix. As far as another Tyler Perry comedy: Please stop! As everyone on here has repeatedly stated, it's unoriginal and unfunny. I've tried to watch his comedies before but I just couldn't stand them. If you want something good from him, go see the Family that Preys. It's very different than any of his other films and is actually very good.

Feb 21 - 09:38 AM

mjprogue

Mike PArker

Wow...you guys sure aren't in Tyler Perry's demographic...that much is obvious.

First of all, as a "black" film-maker, Perry is easily the best there is. Note that I don't mean as a film-maker who is black, but rather as a film-maker who tailors his movies specifically to the black crowd. What black folks find funny is obviously way different than what other folks find funny, cause while I agree Madea is not even remotely humorous to me...all you hear in an auditorium where she/he/it is on screen is tons of laughter.

As for the guy who found it offensive to non-religious folks...who cares? So you're offended by people who believe in something...deal with it. Or better yet, don't watch movies by film-makers who don't share your belief system. I'm on the other side of your argument. I consider Perry to be a pretty weak example of the Christian film-maker considering he seems ok with gays...but I guess he has to be one of the hypocritical gay Chrisitians or he wouldn't be able to be a professional Tranny.

So to all you guys who diss on Perry's movies...quit watching them! Cause he won't quit making them as long as they keep banking like they are.

Feb 22 - 01:52 PM

inactive user

Jared King

"Or better yet, don't watch movies by film-makers who don't share your belief system."

Well ,if that were the case, only Scientoligist would watch movies!

Feb 22 - 03:19 PM

mjprogue

Mike PArker

Wow...you guys sure aren't in Tyler Perry's demographic...that much is obvious.

Feb 22 - 01:52 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Well ,if that were the case, only Scientoligist would watch movies!

Feb 22 - 03:19 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Well ,if that were the case, only Scientoligist would watch movies!

Feb 22 - 03:19 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday