—— Hercules Jul 25

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Firelight Reviews

Jeremy S

July 31, 2007
"It's a kind of magic. Firelight makes time stand still. When you put out the lamps and sit in the firelight's glow there aren't any rules any more. You can do what you want, say what you want, be what you want, and when the lamps are lit again, time starts again, and everything you said or did is forgotten. More than forgotten it never happened."
Leigh R

November 7, 2006
Beautiful movie.

August 1, 2010
My wife and I enjoyed this a lot more than the critics did, obviously. It has its flaws, and some people can't get past the low-key nature of this romantic drama. Firelight takes you through a wide vareity of highs and lows as you follow the life path of Sophie Marceau's governess character. The casting is excellent, and this period piece has a lot of romantic and redemptive moments. It's not Jane Austen level, or a Bronte novel, but its effective and detailed. The social mores of the time are difficult to understand now, but Marceau gives a sympathetic performance. The twist is easy to unravel, but the suspense of what's going to happen, and how it will all play out, for good or ill, is the interesting journey this film takes.
graemii
June 27, 2009
I liked this story and especially Sophie Marceau. I think she's a wonderful actress and I wish she were in more movies.
nkkigrrl28
June 25, 2009
Yowza! What a sexy movie! It's ridiculous and over-the-top. No self-respecting serious cinephile will admit to watching this smoldering hormonal romantic period fantasy. The ending is a bit abrupt and too neat. There are several things that make no sense. There are holes everywhere. Everything in this movie existed with the sole purpose of making silly romantics swoon. I LOVED IT. Sexy, romantic, and absurd. I swooned the entire time. Sophie Marceau is an absolute goddess, and Stephan Dillane did a good job delivering the pained tortured romantic lead. Good chemistry between these two.
MovieSnob
February 2, 2008
A passionate movie that demonstrates the power of love and desire in a woman who subtly rebells against what is expected of her.
January 1, 2013
real actors lovely movie
September 29, 2012
A pen-ultimate chick-flick for costume drama romance lovers, this film is visually stunning and the locations beautiful. The little house in the middle of the lake is like something out of a dream. This movie is especially for those whose favorite book is Jane Eyre. To Jeffrey M. Anderson, your critic who found this so boring, I will explain why you find it so--YOU ARE A MALE WHO CAN'T RELATE TO WOMEN'S INTERESTS IN LIFE! If you don't understand women's films, don't review them, in the interest of fairness.
April 28, 2012
Not a masterpiece by any means, but still a nice watch. Very sentimental and sappy, but not to the point of wretching. Wish this one was easier to find on home video Stateside.
March 12, 2011
Call it corny if you will but it's my favorite film.
zeusarrow
July 2, 2011
Excellent performance by Sophie Marceau. Better than average period drama. Worth the 2 hr investment.
April 28, 2011
All those professional critics that call Firelight "predictable and dull" have completely missed the point. Maybe they should all go take a few film classes. Firelight is pure and simply a masterpiece of the art.

August 1, 2010