96% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

First Snow Reviews

May 15, 2014
Intriguing slice of neo-noir; Pearce is captivatingly good--Getting the most out of a simple plot!!
March 30, 2014
not good, being mild.
February 23, 2014
Good psychological thriller
August 11, 2013
Pearce did a good job
July 19, 2013
A good and well acted film however the end, although it is is good it is how it is, could have been done with a little more tension. Left me feeling flat.
July 8, 2013
Guy Pearce and William Fichtner??? Yeah I need to see this.
November 3, 2012
Promised enough but it didn't deliver as well..
Tasos Leontiadis
August 5, 2012
Promised enough but it didn't deliver as well..
June 17, 2012
Saw the screener before release was a pretty good movie overall
October 12, 2009
A confident salesman ask a psychic to read his future: he is only going to live until the first snow. Very often, movies that are centered around a person that is going to die soon show how the person is trying to enjoy the remaining time with family and friends. With lots of crying and nostalgia. This film shows that dark side of the certainty you're going to die. The overall cold mood is perfectly underlined by the surrounding desert. Guy Pearce is the perfect lead role for this one. He perfectly shows the emotional conflict within Jimmy Sparks: is it all true or bogus? Instead of concentrating on the beautiful things in life, Jimmy can't accept the prediction and tries to fight against it. Yet, he ends up just walking further towards his death. The path is quite frightening. Accompanied by questions of fate and destiny, vulnerability and doubts, the consequences of one's actions. I really loved it. It hit unexpectedly and hard.
May 8, 2012
A far better movie than it has a right to be; wholly due to superb actors making the material watchable. Fitchner and Pearce play roles they are more than comfortable with and completely sell their off key relationship. Fans of either wont be disappointed.
October 19, 2009
the last half hour or so is what makes the movie
December 27, 2011
mmm this was an ok movie. slow at times. kind of interesting. i like
December 5, 2011
This is a great movie.
June 7, 2011
Great performance and good enough story.
February 4, 2011
Lenta y un tanto densa. El interés crece progresivamente, mediante una adecuada transformación del personaje, quien pasa de ser un ente con el que el espectador probablemente no se identifique, a un individuo lleno de dudas y temores con el que cualquiera, mientras sea humano, podría identificarse. Guy Pearce me vuelve a convencer: excelente actuación, se apropia del personaje y el crecimiento del mismo se percibe claramente. En favor del entretenimiento, hubiera sido conveniente un final un tanto más revelador o trabajado, me pareció demasiado simple.
November 23, 2010
This movie made me think a few things:

1. Why did the movie end like that and make me mad?

2. If you want a scene to be a so-called "good-lookin' scene," put Piper Perabo in it and just see what happens.

3. I wish they had shown more of the "Snow."

4. Did I like the movie or did I not like the movie?

5. I'm thirsty.

6. Am I? Could I possibly--? Yep, I'm in love with Piper Perabo.

None of this means that I'm recommending the movie, though I wouldn't not recommend it, especially to people who like only a little snow and Piper Perabo and movies with endings that make me mad. It's kinda slow, in parts, but in an interesting way, and it builds a subtle, creepy suspense that's very effective and causes you to get all worried that something might actually happen to Piper Perabo (her character, I mean, but somehow that's just as bad...or good, if worry's what you're looking to feel). And then, toward the end, you begin to wish they'd show more snow, and maybe five or ten (perhaps a hundred?) more "good-lookin' scenes," maybe with a light snow swirling in the background. And when it ends (when you're mad about how it ended and you turn off the TV and sit quietly for a while, staring blankly into the darkness, looking back over your life and wondering, How can I make Piper Perabo mine?), you get real thirsty for pretty much any kind of juice. Sound good? Well, then I guess you might wanna rent it.
Michael C.
Fun Factor: Low
Emotional Factor: Low
Intelligence Required: Medium
Essential Viewing: No

Is it just me, or does Guy Pierce work harder at getting himself into orginal scripts than any other top shelf actor in the business? This guy could be making all kinds of filler movies for paychecks in my opinion but instead we get lots of great performances in smaller films that recieve hardly any press and turn out to be better than expected. This thought process holds true in First Snow. A film about a guy who learns more than most would want to, Pierce is the star here in every sense. The script isn't quiet as good as the premise, but it is still better than most. Director Mark Fergus shows some talent with the lens, but needs to work on pacing just a wee bit. The supporting cast was expectedly good in some places (J.K. Simmons) and suprisingly good in others (Piper Perabo). With a bit of that pacing issue worked out this could have easily scored higher with me. If you get sick of the same old formulas for flicks I highly recommend you check this one out. No, it won't blow your hair back, but it will keep your eyes open for what's around the corner. One of the better "one man's obession" flicks I have seen in a while. And once again, support Guy Pierce. We need more great actors like this one.
tmannamt
October 5, 2010
Good movie to watch if you are a Guy Pierce fan.