67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

87% The Strain: Season 1
79% You're the Worst: Season 1

First Winter Reviews

October 8, 2013
Not a plausible story for anyone who has ever canned their own food or stocked their own firewood. The amount of firewood in their stack would not have lasted two days. Why would you cook in a fireplace when there is a perfectly good two-eye cook stove in the basement? What kind a food poisoning could you get from a can of peaches that would kill you? As someone who has been canning food for over 20 years, I can't imagine anything but mold growing in a high-acid canned fruit, and bad peaches SMELL and LOOK bad! I can't imagine being in that situation without setting out to see if anyone else is alive in the neighborhood. And--watching the characters continually walking past derelict buildings that would make perfectly good firewood is just painful! Hanging blankets in the windows and finding the most interior room with a fireplace for communal survival would make a lot of sense. Obviously clean people heating buckets of water with 2 sticks in an open fireplace for bathing in a tub does not. When it is THAT cold, you do NOT take off your clothes--even for sex--take it from one who has been there. On the other hand, this movie is engaging and beautifully filmed. It held my attention to the unsatisfying ending and I returned to review some scenes. Definitely worth the watch and would love to see more of this man's work.
March 27, 2013
Highly recommended. Haunting, beautiful and unflinching in its basilisk gaze on the consequences brought about by the chasm between the expression of our cultural values and the core nature of the human experience.
October 21, 2012
It's a hipsteri-fic kind of entertainment, where a bunch of weird, bearded dudes and their laid-back girlfriends try to survive through a rough winter (looking like a strange, colossal apocalyptic nightmare, where nothing spectacular really happens, yet we still have to be convinced that there is no way those people can escape from the deserted mad-house located somewhere far in the vast snow fields). Given their perverse attitude towards the sex-infused, drug-filled routine, they aren't able to reveal all their true feelings when placed in front of a grave tragedy - shortage of food, and then the death of one of their friends. Beautifully shot and enhanced by some poetic visuals, First Winter comes as an intriguing, worrisome look at the behavior of young people during a crisis. Strangely, it's also an interesting encounter with - what could be called - some kind of a bizarre sect, where everything is a big mystification organized by the guru of the whole group. Look for yourselves, as Benjamin Dickinson created an inviting film that might tire some because of too many unneeded longueurs, and satisfy others due to its fascinating camera work.