63% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

A Fistful of Dollars (Per un Pugno di Dollari) Reviews

July 24, 2014
Sergio Leone's creates the pessimistic and desolate world of the spaghetti westerns with this flick, where the characters are trapped in a world of constant conflict and death, where you can only get by being subordinate to those who have the gun and power or being a wisecrack like our main protagonist here.

The landscapes shots are panoramic and great, which will eventually become his signature style, but at the same time it reminding us this was always a terrible place to settle anyway being in the middle of a scorching desert. The juxtaposition of the town in the landscape makes for a very dismal and miserable place where there exists no prosperity or joy for the residents but the constant reminder of death and brutality at the hands of those who control power. Thus one resides to being docile and making the care necessities of life the priority.

Along comes the cynical rogue gunslinger who'd do anything to get rich even going to the point of inciting a war between two rivaling factions. He has adapted himself to the this tough world and has mastered the trades to flourish within it. He's apathetic but his actions reveals that he once had a good human heart. Clint Eastwood plays the character with roughness akin to a razor blade scraping a rock. He's never deterred and his own rules and conviction which inadvertently causes a chain of events that results in a bloody massacre. He's not someone who we root for, because his motives are unclear and always has a sinister, in addition to a indifferent, connotation.

The film is anything but triumphant, because in the end the actions of the protagonist never changes the direction of the cruel world he inhabits but he merely exists to propagate it. Although whenever he sees a glimpse of real human feeling of love trickling through the hard layer of misery and despair, he knows it's a rare thing and he does everything to make it escape before it vanishes. He cannot feel love, because his heart's gone too cold and he cannot change the grim world because that's the only place where he knows how to live. He just straddles along in his horse waiting for his next fix of violence and gold.
July 9, 2014
Nice performances by Eastwood and Volonté, but it is clear that Leone's style is unripe.
May 24, 2014
A solid debut from now acclaimed director Sergio Leone, but Kurosawa's Yojimbo (the movie that inspired it) is much better.
April 19, 2014
A great spaghetti western from one of the masters, Sergio Leone. Somewhat a remake of another classic, Yojimbo, A Fistful of Dollars showcases Sergio's keen eye for detail and masterful story telling. While the movie's become overshadowed by his later works, like The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, there's still a lot of that definitive western charisma that makes these movies one of a kind. A must watch for movie fans, and a great one for introducing people to the rich world of Italian westerns.
December 13, 2013
This movie features a lone man coming into a town of two families that's always bordering the edge of full-scale gunfighting. He double-crosses both families, and works for his own cause. Sound classic? That's because it is. It's the godfather of Spaghetti Westerns, and one of my favorite films of all time.
June 18, 2014
Clint Eastwood is one badass mofo and it makes for an awesome western flick. Morricone's unique music sets the tone so well.
June 17, 2014
A wonderful cinematic experience.
muffin0681
December 22, 2011
I own this on DVD and on Blu-Ray in a three movie pack along with:
* For A Few Dollars More (1965)
* The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (1966)

and i also own the "Two-disc collector's edition" DVD
June 1, 2014
I sure do miss when films were this amazing. Westerns were the big sellers back then and this film clearly shows why the genre lasted for so long. The idea of a western film can be easy to do on paper, but delivery and direction is the most important part of any movie. A Fistful of Dollars perfectly captures the western feel while having a great atmosphere of the dark and grittiness. This is when the grit was actually good and had things to back it up as these were the times bodies dropped like flies. Clint Eastwood as the unknown traveling cowboy is one of the best characters in the genre because of how much he does. The man sees that there is a town in danger because of a power struggle between two groups as the government cannot do anything as even they get slaughtered by the rouges. The film also explores into a nice sense of humor at little bits that really gets you to feel how everyone feels, again creating the western atmosphere correctly. I even love how the overall set up for this film works out, it makes you wonder what is going to happen. There are many scenes that make you wonder what is happening and seeing things end one at a time easily fulfills the plot with a great pace. The best part to a good build up though is the suspense and when things start firing it keeps getting more and more suspenseful. A masterful film, and even saying that doesn't fully honor A Fistful of Dollars. It easily stands up to the test of time and easily keeps Clint Eastwood as the western icon.
May 31, 2014
A Fistful of Dollars begins a trilogy of western classics, with an undeniably top-notch performance from Clint Eastwood, a clever and interesting story, and of course Ennio Morricone's iconic score.
InDIGnation
May 14, 2014
While "A Fistful of Dollars" is a seminal film that changed an entire genre, I find it far more dated than later Eastwood westerns. Some sweeping vistas and good acting can't make up for some terribly cheesy action scenes and awkward writing.
May 27, 2014
Clint Eastwood's acting and Sergio Leone's directing was a magical combination from the beginning.
April 12, 2014
Poor dubbing was the only issue
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 19, 2011
The Man With No Name: When a man's got money in his pocket he begins to appreciate peace.

A FIstful of Dollars is Sergio Leone's first in his Spaghetti Western trilogy, centering around a drifter with no name. This isn't my favorite of the trilogy, but it is a great film in its own right. This is the movie that made Clint Eastwood into a star and also the first great film from Leone. So its importance goes without saying. The plot is that of Kurosawa's Yojimbo, substitute gunfighters for samurai's.

This film is beautifully shot, with extreme close ups and well framed shots. Sergio Leone took the spaghetti western and made it a relevant genre, while also breathing new life into a dying genre; the American Western.

Certainly a film that needs a viewing. You don't have to love westerns to enjoy any of the films in Leone's trilogy. You only have to be able to enjoy great filmmaking and that's what A Fistful of Dollars is.
May 7, 2014
Eastwood is iconic as Leone is masterful in the emergence of the classic mid-century genre of spaghetti westerns, as A Fistful of Dollars is a cunning start to the historic trilogy.
Lois P.
May 1, 2014
Great in all respects. Will see it again for sure.
November 25, 2013
A textbook model for the spaghetti western, A Fistful of Dollars is a fantastic movie that benefits greatly from Clint Eastwood's stern performance and director Sergio Leone's masterful touch.
William C.
April 21, 2014
A Fistful of Dollars is a western classic and one that helped cement the westerns of the 50's and 60's in the memories of fans and new audiences alike. With a smartly written, acted and directed story you can't help but watch this and enjoy it and take in the sights of this wonderfully set movie. I enjoyed all of it and for those who enjoy westerns I couldn't recommend this more as a piece. I felt it was a an Excellent and Great film and below is why I felt that about it, and so many other people did too.

The story as I say is smart and well thought out, and with some great characters and parallel families, it just makes for one big and fun western, oh and with some bloody violence too. I guess to say this is fun is the wrong word and although it is hugely enjoyable the story is dark and makes for drama at some points, but then goes into some good old gun shoot outs(including the old extremely loud gunshots we got in classic western films). Finally we get a character who guides us through a slow plot but he does it so well it seems even faster.

Clint Eastwood in the main role without a name is superb and his menacing voice coupled with his great performance makes for an interesting acting role indeed. I loved the supporting cast and even though no one stands out anywhere near Eastwood, they still do a great job and do what all supporting casts should do even today in film. Finally on the acting it is strong, for some films like this they don't all do well but in this you feel everyone does what there meant to do all the way through.

Director Sergio Leone does his job here every well and if it wasn't for the other films in the Man With No Name series then this would be his finest by far. He also had a hand in writing this as well and with a massive writing team we got a great script that when put together with the film is just superb. I liked the chase scenes, gun scenes and anything in the beautiful landscape and for when this was made the quality of the stunts and deaths are great and they don't seem cheesy at all which can happen so often in films of this era.

I felt criticism wise that although it warrants very very little, the story could be seen as over dramatic and too much cheesy lines and violence that doesn't fit in with the more quiet scenes. I don't feel they affected it and weren't cheesy etc but that is what could be said about the film. As I have said before I think you have to form your own opinion if you like it or not as I couldn't really find much to criticise this about really.

I would Recommend this to those who enjoy a good western film or those who like a good bit of action but it also being drama and tense moments where a shoot-out could happen any second. I believe many will enjoy this as the story is thick with smartly written lines and I said about the tense shoot-outs, well they are every tense and in a sense you could describe this film as a thriller film because sometimes your heart can beat faster when the more quiet stand off's are around.

Overall I give it a 8.2/10 and it is a Great and Excellent film and a firm one of that. I think some will like this film even more than I do, where as some I believe will dislike it, but the only way to find out is to watch it, because the film is classic cinema using one of if not the most famous western star of all time in Clint Eastwood. Finally I will say this is a must for all cinema lovers as it is truly a cinema classic and to say this is in the series that includes
"The Good The Bad And The Ugly" it really is a great series of films, just excellent.
April 21, 2014
Considering how many western tropes were in this film, one would almost wonder if it was the origin of them all.
A good start to the "Dollars trilogy" that eventually ends with "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly".
Eshan Walter
April 18, 2014
A true western. Even better most of the wild west movies made by American directors. Sergio Leone's masterpiece, helping Clint Eastwood the best cowboy ever on screen. And beautiful score by Ennio Morricone.